Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Should supermodels that take drugs be wheeled out at the closing ceremony?
  • scaled
    Free Member

So with at least two coke fiend models popping up at the closing ceremony and lets be honest, the pretty rough reception that any sports person has got from the commentators why on earth did nothing get said about the models?

I’m very much from the rehabilitation camp for doping and was getting a bit tired of the commentators absolutely making sure that the audience knew the ins and outs of their doping bans* the hypocrisy really wound me up.

</rant>

*MJ was the only exception to this! when Inverdale set him up for a doping slam dunk he pretty much said every case is different he didn’t know the circumstances.

wwaswas

You’re happy for the musicians with a history of drug use to be included though?

Kryton57

wwaswas – Member
    You’re happy for the musicians with a history of drug use to be included though?

And athletes.

scaled
    Free Member

Fair point, well made!

Burn the lot of them!

My point was that whenever any athlete that had a history of doping came on to compete it was made very clear that they’d taken drugs.

Seems to be overlooked for other role models…

maccruiskeen

How is their drug use cheating though? I’m not sure how I could make use recreational drugs to make myself easier on the eye. Short of slipping them into someone else’s drink (then writing my phone no on their arm).

bwaarp
    Free Member

Yeah, there’s somewhat of a major difference between recreational drug use and doping to cheat.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think it showed a unsurprising lack of self-awareness that when asked if they’d show up they didn’t say “Umm, nah, I don’t think so.”

glupton1976
    Free Member

I was hoping beyond hope that one or more of them would fall flat on their face. Also, when you’ve been looking at female athletes for two weeks “supermodels” look bloody hideous and incredibly unhealthy.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

looking at female athletes for two weeks

+1

As in an older post of mine

-The damn bloody models. After admiring such athleticism,the fact that we were subjected to a parade a bunch of overpaid servant abusing primadonnas , whose talent is walking up and down and pouting, made me want to throttle the director

D0NK

How is their drug use cheating though?

using certain drugs for improving performance is illegal, using recreational drugs is illegal (unfortunately) getting all arsey about one (the media not you maccruiskeen) and ignoring the other is a bit hypocritical.

bikebouy
    Free Member

In context of the ceremony they fitted in rather well IMO, whatever they do in their own homes/someone elses home is none of my concern, so no don’t wheel them out, they had their place last night.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Given that the opening ceremony was right on the button, how could the closing ceremony be so hopeless.

soobalias
    Free Member

both ceremonys are designed to give the artistic media luvvies something to do, compensating them for not being capable of achieving anything tangible. Musos, artistic directors, models, and ‘past it junky pap stars’

the whole idea goes against the Olympic ideal, IMO.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez what a daft thread.

People in “taking drugs” shocker!

D0NK

al I think the OP was aimed at the commentators saying “here we see david millar-ex-drugs-cheat riding his boardman bike…” but no corresponding “and there’s russel brand-ex-heroin-user mooching about at the closing ceremony…”

recreational drugs may need not be mentioned at the olympics but surely previous performance enhancing drug bans don’t need to be brought up. If you are gonna mark people for life* for previous mistakes/misdemeanours/whatever, then so be it, but atleast be a bit more even handed about it.

*not something I necessarily agree with

yunki
    Free Member

The damn bloody models. After admiring such athleticism,the fact that we were subjected to a parade a bunch of overpaid servant abusing primadonnas , whose talent is walking up and down and pouting, made me want to throttle the director

misses the point a bit though.. what with London being one of the world’s top style leaders since.. well, since forever really..
    I’m not exactly sure how they could have portrayed that particular facet without using fashion models.. drug using or not..
    although I was mystified about the message that they were portraying generally re: the drugs issue

george michael, kate moss, norman cook, russel brand on his love bus.. all without doubt famed worldwide more for their illegal drug use than for anything else they may have achieved..

was there a surreptitious nod to the fact that part of the modern UKs charm is it’s underlying punk/underground ethos..? some sort of swinging 60s thing..? a tip of the bowler to the chemical generation..?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Let’s ban all people who have ever had contact with drug use, and everything they have ever done; and let’s sit and listen to ‘I am the Walrus’.

The Beatles were so high they even let Ringo sing some songs.*

*Thank You Bill Hicks.

sputnik
    Free Member

As long as they are not competing in the Olympics.

misses the point a bit though.. what with London being one of the world’s top style leaders since.. well, since forever really..
    I’m not exactly sure how they could have portrayed that particular facet without using fashion models.. drug using or not..

So your point is we must show London as the fashion capitalista & therefore use models to portal that? My post was WHY do we have to give a nod to fashion in London when there is so many more worthwhile things we could have shown to the watching world such as immigration, peace & unity. Goverments around the world will see us as the most diverse and progressive country out there and that’s more of a worthwhile celebration than fashion? No?

DezB
    Free Member

Jeez what a daft thread.

Damn right. Is the OP on drugs or what?

yunki
    Free Member

Goverments around the world will see us as the most diverse and progressive country out there and that’s more of a worthwhile celebration than fashion? No?

fair enough.. I get your point.. and agree to an extent.. but on the other hand, maybe we have to consider balancing the way we would like to be perceived with the actual perception..

trying to sell ourselves as a welcoming utopian dream, without mentioning the drugs that are used to create the psychological mindset which allows that to happen, especially to a world that views us as a nation of pompous guffawing sheeple and tattooed, right wing football thugs ruled by thieving bankers, might just be pushing our luck a bit..?

(apologies for the length and disjointed nature of that last sentence)

*disclaimer.. I may be being facetious for the hell of it.. I blame post-Olympic blues

ScottChegg
    Free Member

..immigration, peace & unity..

It’s alright, they saw all that on tv last year. The furniture shop on fire was particularly memorable.

Peaceful and unified? Not really.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I did notice, that after two and a bit weeks of seeing toned, athletic bodies with healthy fresh faced youth, how dog rough those supermodels looked when they staggered out on the stage.

The riots were nothing to do with immigration scottcheng. Chancers, morons and dissatisfied youth but not immigration

I’d tap Kate Moss though, whilst snorting cheap speed of her pigeon chest

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Should supermodels that take drugs be wheeled out at the closing ceremony?’ is closed to new replies.