• This topic has 26 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ton.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The road to recovery starts here – the iDontDiet
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Back in September I fell off a ladder and ripped my foot off. The doctors reattached it and I have been sat with the ankle in a cast waiting for it to get better. The docs have now let me take the cast off and I can finally take an active part in my recovery.

A few pictures to get from the day I did it up to today and then I will try to update the thread every week or so as, when and if I make any progress.

Day 1 – whops, that doesn’t look good, the foot is moving up the shin bone towards me

They saved the foot! Nice baseball sticth work too

A couple of weeks later and the fracture blister had started to smell a bit

Look, titanium!

Long boring recover had a few highlights

And a mere 5 months later… Still on crutches but partial weight bearing. I think I might need to exercise a bit to get the legs to be the sdame size

Oh, and the weight down a bit

The target is to maximise the available movement in the ankle and reduce the weight. I am aiming for low 14’s or possibly even a weight starting with a 13!

I am not planning on dieting much but will probably reduce the beer intake which has crept up a bit while I have been sat bored. Started today with a 10 mile road ride on an electric pedal assist bike. I need to stick with the pedal assist until the doc confirms full weight bearing, hopefully in a couple of weeks time.

How long do you reckon it will take to get from 16.5 to 15.something?

scaredypants

get back into the general, kiss a few grannies, pick up norovirus, weight sorted by Wednesday ! 😀

seadog101

How’s about heading to the swimming pool? Burn off the calories with any weight on those delicate pins…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I tried the vomit diet back last summer, effective but not pleasant.

Swimming is an issue until I can weight bear as they won’t let me take my crutches to the pool side.

Just spotted the STW fat club thread on the other forum so might just keep this thread for updates on general fitness before my next big injury

seadog101

Swimming is an issue until I can weight bear as they won’t let me take my crutches to the pool side

Really? I’ve seen people far less able being aided into the pool by the staff… HSE gone mad.

tazzymtb

HSE gone mad.

ahem…fear of ambulance chasing no win no fee companies, nowt to do with HSE!

may well be worth looking at yoga as there are a lot of core and upper body exercises that can be done as non- weight bearing

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

yoga – good idea. I started doing that on the wii fit after I dislocated both my shoulder last time. It was great for mobility and was the start of my move from 18.3 down to 14.6 (before the latest injury)

samuri
    Free Member

Or, try the samuri diet (which may be partly based on idiet and other new diets) . All I’ve done is cut out all sugar and some carbs. So I’m eating nothing out of a tin or a packet, no sweets or fizzy drinks. I’m not having much in the way of potatoes, bread, pasta or rice.

I still drink beer Friday night, red wine at other times. Have bacon and egg most days, chicken is the main meat for normal meals, eating plenty of eggs and bean salads.

I put on a stone over christmas and lost it all in two weeks by following the above. I’m cycling a lot less than I was last year and I’m on a notch on my belt that I’ve never been on before.

SaxonRider

I put on a stone over christmas and lost it all in two weeks by following the above. I’m cycling a lot less than I was last year and I’m on a notch on my belt that I’ve never been on before

Is it possible to put on a stone in a matter of a couple of weeks? 😯

sprootlet
    Free Member

Definitely worth checking again with the pools, I used to crutch to the poolside with no problems.
    The two pools near us also do an aqua access session for people with mobility problems, wheelchair users are welcome so a pair of crutches shouldn’t be an issue.
    Good luck on the long and boring road to recovery (a ruptured Achilles tendon took me 6 months recovery).
    Linda

samuri
    Free Member

I’m sure it is possible but yeah fine. I was eating and drinking way too much crap from mid december to mid January.

stumpy01

2 lb a week should be do-able with a bit of exercise and probably won’t feel like you are making too many sacrifices.

I am trying to lose weight and get down from ~12st 3lb to llst. All I am doing is reducing alcohol, getting rid of the nonsense treats that I had convinced myself weren’t having that much effect, slightly smaller portions and snacking on chopped up veg when I get hungry.

Was down to 11st 12lbs last week, but haven’t done much exercise this week as I twanged my back on Thursday and it’s still bloody sore.

white101

3 weeks into a broke ankle (pins and plate, might get some pics from hosp tomorrow) and whilst the weight is starting to emerge round the middle the muscle on my calf and thigh is disappearing quickly.
    Keeping the weight off for me will be down to carbs & drink I reckon.
    Keeping off the drink is easy as my loo is upstairs and going up and down every bottle of bear is enough to keep me sober.
    Trouble is Mrs 101 is working full time and I cant cook so when she gets in from work its food thats easy and quick, so pasta is featuring quite often.
    Back to hospital tomorrow for new x-rays and cast replacement, cant wait to scratch my foot!

Naranjada
    Free Member

Good to see things are much happier than initial prognosis WCA.

Once you are full weight bearing you’ll be much less bored and eat/drink less through boredom as a result, you’ll be alot more mobile and able to start doing what you like. I suppose that you’ll have already attempted some early weight-bearing? With the metalwork that you have the last thing you need is to dislodge or weaken anything so take it steady.

Swimming will help get mobility and strength into your ankle; you could use a polystyrene float and just use your legs for propulsion. I’d definitely recommend yoga too but start gradually, no piling straight into hardcore Ashtanga!

Cut back on carbs, sugar & beer and up the amount of exercise a bit and the weight will shift.

Best of luck with it, you’ve come a long way.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

White101 – I feel your pain, or rather, I did feel your pain. While I was none weight bearing for 3 months I got fed up of using 2 crutches and not being able to carry anything. I invented a knee crutch attachment that replaces the bottom of a normal NHS crutch. It isn’t fast to move on but it allows you to go to the fridge, get something and carrying it across the kitchen. A nice bloke off stw built it for me. Email me if you want pictures or to have a go.

I am on my fourth beer since I last replied, perhaps I need to practice this cutting back a bit more. 😉

nikk
    Free Member

Thats ridiculous they won’t let you in the pool.

Ask again, insist on it one way or the other, even if they have to wheelchair you to the pool and lower you in.

Obviously take it well easy. Apart from the swimming, you can walk up and down the pool at a depth that supports you somewhat, although TBH you should be getting advice from a physio regarding all of this. Ask your doc. Best of luck!

singlecrack
    Free Member

Get yourself a turbo trainer in front of the TV ..easy pedalling as you watch …gets movement back and some fitness …take it easy though

nikk
    Free Member

Oh yeh, and you need to knock the beer on the head. I find beer very moreish, much worse that other drinks. Easier to limit oneself to one nice glass of red or a shot of brandy per day. And cut out bread and pasta, eat more protein type things.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Nikk – not specifically told that I cannot get into the pool. I was advised it could be difficult and should advise them before arriving. Also, I can’t drive at the moment so can’t get there.

Turbo trainer kills my will to live. I will continue to use the pedal assist bike on the roads for the moment

Beer – yep, it is my weakness. I know it doesn’t help and cutting down will be the biggest challenge with the greatest benefit.

white101

WCA – the ground floor of the house is level and so I have got myself a stool on casters, now its not going to win any funding on dragons den and its not perfect but its working a bit, I got some knee pads off my joiner neighbour and I can now make my own cuppa and get stuff out the kitchen cupboards! Small things mean a lot.
    Mrs101 is a bit nervy cos she thinks I’m going to fall of it.
    I read your old threads on your accident and figure Ive got it easy compared to you.

singlecrack
    Free Member

It may well bore the hell out of you but it’s a good way to recover …….it depends on how serious you are about getting fit 😆

footflaps

Buy a rowing machine? Cheaper than a Maserati and good for exercise, but not full weight bearing…..

Trekster

To get round the pool rules get a wheelchair. The pool may have a seat to winch you in and out of the pool. Problem is that they probably need lifeguards trained to operate said winched seat so you will need to give them prior warning. Have taught special needs kids in the past and this was/is the case at my pool.

Another way round it is to join a gym and use their pool and facilities, they don’t seem to be so rigorous with hse 🙄
    I took a 3month trial membership to do some specific knee exercises, worked a treat 😆

cbike
    Free Member

Hase Pino Tandem?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Treks tear – it was the local David Llyod I tried

benjbish

Give the Uni pool a tinkle, I’m sure I’ve seen loads of people with crutches and rehab activities in there over the years.

ton

Nick, dont wanna bore you with the details.
    down from 23 stone to 18 stone 2lbs. Idiet. chickpeas are your friend.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘The road to recovery starts here – the iDontDiet’ is closed to new replies.