Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The Gap – Brecon
  • Carpediem
    Free Member

Evening!

Two of us are thinking of riding 'The Gap' on saturday.
    Any tips or usefull info gratefully accepted.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Done it twice & riding South to North is IMHO the better way round with a great 4km decent the other side … see pic

Head round towards Talybont village & great food in the Star Inn pub or the Royal Oak pub at Pencelli.

Have fun 😆

Bat1
    Free Member

Agree with the above ,,Park @ talybont and head up the tramway

Nipper99
    Free Member

Very straightforward and pleasant especially the down from the bwlch itself. You gain some high ground so take the normal precautions re mountain weather. 3-4 hours. There are much better trails in the Beacons and Black Mountains though and watch out for m/crossers and 4x4s.

tod456
    Free Member

I was thinking of doing the same in a fortnight then a trail centre on Sunday but Nipper if you can elaborate then I’ll change my plans ..

nickc

Don't mince it

Ambrose

All vehicles now banned I believe 🙂

Take a map and dont miss out the run down through the fields and woods to Llanfrynach, via Tynllwyn Farm, SO 062 247. There is a canal towpath towards the end too, nicer than the lanes.

Best pub is The Star, wonderful range of beers.

Carpediem
    Free Member

Thanks all.Looks like a winner ,that !

Carpediem
    Free Member

Reply to Crispy Bacon:

Where do you start if riding South to North pls?

molgrips
    Free Member

I can give you a tracklog of a better epic ride in the area if you have Tracklogs software…

Marko

I prefer it north to south. The descent shown in CBs photo is a fire road really, the only technical interest is the very start. You then have a canal path back to Talybont.

Now going the other way you have a trail with lots of little technical options. You can then extend the loop out with more off road stuff to end back at the Star in Talybont.

Horses for courses though. 8)Hth
    Marko

Ringo
    Free Member

Anyone done this route ss or would I be best in putting some gears out back

HughStew

Perfect for singlespeeding. Have fun.

PS: The Dolygaer extension adds a bit to the ride & is weel worth it. MTB-Wales.com has route maps/descriptions.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Carpe Diem

We start at the car park just past Pentwyn Reservoir & to the left of Torpantau. The last time we also did the Dolygaer extension as HughStew above alluded to, a great descent after a tough long climb tho.

m_t_b
    Free Member

Molgrips I am heading up there on Friday and would be interested in your tracklogged route how is it different ? More singletrack 😀

Carpediem
    Free Member

Thanks all.Had a great ride today.Did it South to North.That Tramway out of Talybont is a real SOB though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘The Gap – Brecon’ is closed to new replies.