Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Tell me about Bristol
  • northerntom
    Free Member

I’ve just moved from London, sometimes I don’t think people appreciate what they’ve got on their doorstep.

I’ve gone from riding once a week in Surrey, an hour and a half drive from my flat on a decent day, to being able to ride twice a week around Leigh Woods on the natural cheeky stuff, can easily get a 30km ride from my door, with at least 20 of that off road. Some nice steep, rooty fun, great for an evening ride. Then on the weekend, can drive to Cwmcarn, Staunton, FOD, Triscombe, Mendips in 45 mins, and BPW, Afan etc within an hour and a half.

Add to that lower rent and house prices, with not a massive wage drop, proportionally I’m much better off, and happier.

The only thing I’m missing is some riding buddies! If anyone fancies a ride, drop me an email.

molgrips
    Free Member

It depends on what you’re used to. I’ve got as much of South Wales off-road as I can complete from my doorstep (planned a 100km one this weekend), including technical, rocky, woodsy, fire-roady, whatever. And I can even ride to Cwmcarn on good technical trails if I want.

So to me, Bristol doesn’t look great. It’s all relative.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

I moved here from Devon 16yrs ago. the plusses and minuses are pretty much the same for me as has already been said.
    I’m lucky in that I live 25mins away from work so I walk in every day, and I only drive when leaving the city so commuting traffic isn’t an issue for me.
    the independent music, film, art scene is great and there’s generally something for everyone.
    4-5 climbing venues in the city centre area plus a multitude of outdoor venues such as Avon Gorge underneath the suspension bridge, winterbourne, river frome, snuff mills.
    a plethora of festivals to enjoy (harbour festival, balloon fiesta, grillstock, St Pauls Carnival, Redfest)

and of course enough riding in the city to enjoy and a lot more on your doorstep.

but yes, the house prices are silly.

I think there’s enough people on here suggesting getting in touch to have a ride that maybe we should arrange a Bristol meet sometime. put some faces to names and see if our Mtb skills are as good as our keyboard skills ….(mine aren’t)

mark90
    Free Member

I think there’s enough people on here suggesting getting in touch to have a ride that maybe we should arrange a Bristol meet sometime.

+1

I met up with a fellow Bristol STW’er last week for a ride. Be good to get a few more out.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Wow. Sooooo many haterz
    😯

A few years ago I was working away from home, in Chipping Sodbury but I used to stay at hotels in and around Bristol and cycle to work, ride off road or to Bath along the cycle path. I really really like Bristol. It just seems relaxed and welcoming to me. It’s certainly on the cards that we could one day live a short distance away form from Bristol. I wouldn’t LIVE in any city given the choice but it would be lovely to be within cycling or a couple of stops on the train of it.

acsevens

Lived there for 5 years. Loved it, really vibrant city. Had two bikes nicked though, and someone once did a poo on my doorstep!

santacoops
    Free Member

I think there’s enough people on here suggesting getting in touch to have a ride that maybe we should arrange a Bristol meet sometime.
    +1

+1 also, emails in my profile

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I had two girlfriends in Brizzel, so naturally that makes me an expert too.

I like it. Great music etc. etc. Traffic awful etc. etc. Near Wales etc. etc.

Would possibly be living near there now if the other half hadn’t beaten me in a new job race.

Personally with kids I’d live outside the city now, but as a responsibility-free young ‘un it’s great.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

They have a brilliant balloon festival that’s very popular with the local Irish community.

😆

Had two bikes nicked though, and someone once did a poo on my doorstep!

Someone vommed on mine. In the home counties. That was one stern letter to the parish council, let me tell you.

molgrips
    Free Member

maybe we should arrange a Bristol meet sometime.

Can I come so I can complain about Bristol all the time?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Been here 12 years now. Absolutely love the place. I’ve come across a lot of really nice friendly people (that i’ve met anyway). There’s a relaxed vibe about the place. Cycling is great

other things i like

Bristol > Bath Cycle path, ashton court/leigh woods, Great beer, independent shops, music scene, docks/harbourside, free festivals, Bars and clubs on boats, st werburghs, street art (and the councils’s support for it)

food scene is big here in Bristol: Pop ups, tipis, street food, Shipping containers, Michelin stars.. the choice is amazing

oafishb
    Free Member

I suspect the answer (if that’s what you’re after) lies in the negative responses:

House prices are high
    Traffic is terrible

But why is that?

Perhaps it’s because a lot of people want to live here and bring their cars…….

For what it’s worth, I moved here two years ago after living in London for 20 years.
    It’s a great city IF you live in the right area. And that’s not cheap. But if you can live in, say, Clifton, Westbury on Trym, Stoke Bishop, Sneyd Park, Redland…..it’s very very nice.
    I wouldn’t fancy living in Lawrence Hill.

Important to remember, that it IS a city and not a large west country town – so it is divided. There are plenty of other places in Somerset and Devon if you fancy a more rural life.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bristol > Bath Cycle path

No idea why everyone keeps bring this up. It’s just a flat bit of tarmac with far too many people on it, many of whom are going far too fast. Not exactly a highlight!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Important to remember, that it IS a city and not a large west country town – so it is divided.

The SAS used some of the rougher areas for urban training as elements were similar to NI. Apparently. It also has the highest Somalian population in the country. Apparently*.

One GF lived in Redland. Can confirm it’s very nice; short-ish walk to city centre and nice feel. But you have to pay for it. And she was still broken into**.

*Don’t quote me on either. Both gleaned from an Andy McNab book.
    **I should confirm: I’m talking about her house. That she lived in.

doris5000

But if you can live in, say, Clifton, Westbury on Trym, Stoke Bishop, Sneyd Park, Redland…..it’s very very nice.
    I wouldn’t fancy living in Lawrence Hill.

depends what you’re after. I lived in Clifton briefly. I now live just outside Lawrence Hill!

This probably ties in with that other thread – I am also one of the people that prefers Berlin to Munich… 🙂

But I wouldn’t fancy living in Lockleaze 😉

egb81
    Free Member

I live not far from Lawrence Hill, it’s really not that bad. The worst bits of the city are on the outskirts and you’d never really need to go there if you don’t have to. Lawrence Weston, Henbury, Hartcliffe, Southmead are a bit grim. Clifton and the other posh bits aren’t for me, though the Portcullis in Clifton I’d a cracking pub.

qwerty
    Free Member

, and someone once did a poo on my doorstep!

To give them credit, at least they didn’t shite on their own doorstep!

4130s0ul
    Free Member

I also live in Lawrence Hill, if you ignore the bad press and stereotypes (yes there’s a few tower blocks but everybody needs somewhere to live and when needs must then fair enough) but the area is great for it’s community feel and multicultural vibe. Our streets get closed off for annual street parties and there are lots of local activities which are inclusive to all.
    I’m smack between two parks (St Georges & Netham) and seconds away from the feeder river which I can then walk / ride along all the way to bath or into town (Beeses Tea gardens is a must during summer for the beer festival)

for anyone who is up for a group ride feel free to email me or I’ll drop everyone an email next week as I’m away from this avo.

Viva la Bristol!!!

Ps, Mols of course you can along, our friends and neighbours across the bridge are always welcome 😆

Locoboy
    Free Member

Good beer, loads of fanny.
    Not sure about anything bike related.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mols of course you can along, our friends and neighbours across the bridge are always welcome

But then you have to come over here and I’ll show you how good my local trails are 🙂

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Mols, sounds good to me, I spend half my time in Wales so am more than happy to travel over to enjoy the delights.
    How about an “international” weekender where it’s one days riding Bristol based trails then over to Welshland for some proper hills!

Moses

It also has the highest Somalian population in the country.

Possibly true. I do some voluntary reading practice with 9-year olds at a local primary school with a very mixed intake (they all speak Bristol), and see plenty of Somali New British.

I asked one little girl about languages at home… I speak Swahili, Somali, French and some Arabic, she said. At 9.

Anyway, we even welcome northerners here. I was one, once.
    Good idea about the ride, though. It could be organised via the Cheesy riders, if anyone was they way inclined.

mark90
    Free Member

Why would anyone want to ride a “crowded few acres of urban woodland” when they have “as much of South Wales off-road as I can complete from my doorstep” 😉

But yeh I’d be up for the return trip too, it’s less than an hour from Brizzle 😀

trickydisco
    Free Member

No idea why everyone keeps bring this up. It’s just a flat bit of tarmac with far too many people on it, many of whom are going far too fast. Not exactly a highlight!

you grumpy git!

Cus it’s amazing. It’s 14 miles of traffic free riding with amazing scenery outside of Bristol. I can ride traffic free to a pub in the evening (A lot of it is lit) I can ride 10 miles to work (going out of town) with hardly any cyclists without going on a single car ridden road. I can pop into town in 8 minutes and grab a beer on the harbourside

There are numerous pubs on the way and converted plaforms to grab a cream tea

molgrips
    Free Member

How about an “international” weekender where it’s one days riding Bristol based trails then over to Welshland for some proper hills

Yes but it has to be Cardiff local riding.. can park in the suburbs if you like near me. I admit I have not actually ridden Ashton Court outside a race.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’smiles of traffic free

It might not have cars, but it has (or had, when I went on it) a shitload of traffic! It was rammed with casual cyclists and walkers, and had lycrad up roadies trying to force their way through at 20mph. Very unpleasant – if I’d had a map I would’ve been looking out for some country lanes to go on instead.

mark90
    Free Member

I can see why you might dis it then. There’s a lot more than the Ashton Court trail. If you know where to look there’s…. “technical, rocky, woodsy, fire-roady” 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s the size of it that amuses me.. must be all of what, 7 square kms? 🙂

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Moses, if you can drop me an email about cheesy riders we can look into sorting a ride out. I’ve taken note of who’s said they’d be up for it and will email next week.

Have a good bank holiday weekend everyone, and happy riding

mark90
    Free Member

Admittedly it’s not a massive area for a full days riding, but it’s good for doorstep evening riding. You can link in to quite a few other areas of woodland each with their own little gems, and that can easily become a full days riding if you keep going.

molgrips
    Free Member

Alright, email in profile then 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

It might not have cars, but it has (or had, when I went on it) a shitload of traffic! It was rammed with casual cyclists and walkers, and had lycrad up roadies trying to force their way through at 20mph. Very unpleasant – if I’d had a map I would’ve been looking out for some country lanes to go on instead.

I use it every single weekday both riding to and from work and to go out for beers in the evening and quite a few Saturdays/sundays and don’t really encounter this problem.

You’ve been reading too much bristol post and daily fail

Ben_H

If you value balance, then Bristol is a great place to be.

I studied at Bristol Uni from 1999-2003, met my now wife here and returned in 2006. We did Cotham / Clifton / Redland for student living and our first DINKY flat was also in Clifton – before discovering Southville and getting our first house here in late 2006. Our first was born in 2009 and we moved to a bigger one in the same area in 2010.

Having 2 little kids in central Bristol has been ace. The aforementioned MTB’ing in Ashton Court and Leigh Woods isn’t amazing in its own right, but it is when you have little ones and only limited time. Having it a 10-minute ride from my doorstep has been THE thing to keep me off-roading since 2009. It’s also nice to do a lap in my work-from-home lunch hour or during summer evenings. 🙂

The bike culture (as opposed to facilities) is really good in Bristol and it’s very “normal” to use a bike. Commuting is straightforward and you will be one of loads in the centre during rush hour. Longer-distance paths such as Air Balloon Way and Concorde Way make commuting other than Bristol-Bath very tolerable.

All our new neighbours on our road in Southville are either from London or have had some exposure to the London market. That probably sums things up quite well: Bristol is a very comfortable move for a Londoner looking to downshift, but is certainly urban and it’s a shock to come back here after a weekend at my parents’ place in green Wales.

We have talked a lot (including this morning) about moving away, but it’s just so darned convenient here. Within a mile we have an “Outstanding” primary school, theatres, the city centre, a bustling local high street, deli, butchers, gift shops, waterfront and – crucially – woodlands to escape to. That balance of amenities takes a lot of beating.

santacoops
    Free Member

Ben H, sounds like you live on my street! Emails in profile. 😀

Ben_H

Mailed you!

ianpv
    Free Member

I’ve lived in Southville for 12 years now. Two kids. I couldn’t afford to move here now however!

Driving is a nightmare, but it is a great place to live. I was wandering around with my m&d (who live in Dveon) and the kids, and you realize how nice it is to go down the harbourside, let the kids play in the fountains, have a beer in the sun, then heading off to Ashton Ct to walk the dog in the pm.

And like Ben H, the local riding has kept me on the mtb while my kids are young (5 & 6), and the road scene is good too with regular chaingangs, shop rides and more relaxed groups.

I nearly hit a deer on a national trust woodland trail last night. I was ten minutes from my house and a bit less from the city harbourside. Not many places in the UK you can say that.

molgrips
    Free Member

You’ve been reading too much bristol post

Now how would I ever end up reading the Bristol Post…?

That ride when it was busy, btw, that actually happened. Really.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It might not have cars, but it has (or had, when I went on it) a shitload of traffic! It was rammed with casual cyclists and walkers, and had lycrad up roadies trying to force their way through at 20mph. Very unpleasant

Wow. That’s some elitist twaddle you’ve got going there. 🙂
    I used to final work, nip back to my hotel, grab the bike and ride to Bath. Eat, then return. An hour each way with an hour for my meal and I loved it. I’ve also ridden it with my wif a couple of times.
    See, to me, that cycle path is how I’d like to see the whole county connected and getting around. That’s my little glimpse of what could be if only we tried harder.
    But yeah. If you’re the sort that has all the right gear, wears the right clothes, and goes out to the trail centre or on the organised ride….. Then jumps in the car to go a mile to go shopping, I can see how you’d miss the point.

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s some elitist twaddle you’ve got going there.

What? Elitist? Look, I rode on a path, it was very busy, which made it not fun. Might’ve been some kind of freak aberration, but that’s what happened. Can’t really be elitist, can it?

I do all sorts of riding, and you know I’m not a poseur, I just didn’t like that path much!

Don’t particularly care for the Taff Trail either, except for the part that brings you into town through the park, which is nice. And it’s a good way to tootle into town if you live near it. It’s nothing like as busy though 🙂

wallop

Another happy Southville resident here.

What I love about living in Bristol right now:

Some nice (if expensive) Victorian homes on offer
    Walking distance into town
    Short, off-road ride to the trails
    Eating out. Oh my god, the choice is amazing these days!
    Ale
    The new wapping wharf
    My local high street
    A local culture which has decent aspirations of sustainability
    Being woken up by hot air balloons just outside your bedroom window
    Not driving anywhere at the weekend

Things I don’t like:

Metrobus (not the principle, just the execution)
    The local council
    Traffic
    The proliferation of student flats in the city centre

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Bristol’ is closed to new replies.