Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • telephone bt engineers wiiring a junction box for phone and internet cable help
  • karnali
    Free Member

All the little cables have just been pulled out of my box that sits on wall and the phone and internet connect to via a smaller 2 in 1 out box.

I have a red green and blue and 3 white cables I need to reconnect. Into ports marked 123456 split into 2 groups of 3.

Anyone help out with how they should go. The cables are tiny and just slide into each port.

Ta

somouk
    Free Member

The cables might need punching down into the slots with a tool to get a proper connection.

It may also depend on the engineer that’s wired your internet depends if they’re professional enough to have a standard across all the points or if they just choose two pairs to terminate at either end.

Cougar

By “red” you mean orange I hope?

Blue to pin 2, white+blue to 5 (all the “white” ones have coloured stripes). Ignore the others.

You’ll need an IDC punchdown tool to do it properly. A “disposable” one will set you back about 50p.

A photo would help, to be sure.

karnali
    Free Member

pic here

Bt

sorry flickr seem to have changed and cant find the properties to put i on here

cheers

Flaperon

What you’re going to have to do is strip back some of the insulation to try to find wires where the colours haven’t faded. On the bright side, it should be pretty obvious as the blue and white/blue will be a twisted pair.

You cannot do this without a punchdown tool as Cougar says.

Cougar

That’s an old-style master socket. Where’s the other end of that cable go, is it the drop cable into the house from outside?

The instructions I gave you should work but I’ll give you two caveats:

1) There’s no guarantee that whoever wired that socket used the correct wires, they could have used any colour. That doesn’t look like any BT cable I’ve ever seen. I’d imgine there’s a junction box somewhere further up the food chain.

2) It’s BT’s property, the master socket is the demarcation point. You shouldn’t really be touching it, it’s illegal and you can be fined for it.

tonyd

Some cable doesn’t have the coloured stripe on the white – my house is full of Cat6 that doesn’t. As mentioned though just strip the wire back and they’ll be paired.

sparkyrhino

It looks like data cable 6wire so 3 pairs each coloured wire will have a white leg,
    Have a look at whatever is on the end and look at the 2-5 connections.
    But if the blue was correct you have 3 choices(whites)
    Or if there is enough slack as mentioned before strip back and tease the pairs out they should be twisted

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘telephone bt engineers wiiring a junction box for phone and internet cable help’ is closed to new replies.