Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • So, best product to stain a wand?!
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

After a marathon reading session of Harry Potter the young un has decided I can make her a wand.

I’ve got some spare dowel so I’ve whittled something decent for her but she apparently needs it to be brown and not light pine.

So just standard woodsman, or is the a nicer more-stw alternative like Danish oil or ting oil I can feel more hipster about applying.

Whilst wand decorating is primary concern at moment, the knowledge and experience might be useful in future rather than just banging a tin of Ronseal on it.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Does the mrs know you’re staining her wan……

Oh…

Not THAT wand 😯

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Fine grade sandpaper, give it some going over for smoothness.

Ronseal woodstain.

A bit more fine(r) grade paper.

Maybe another go with the stain.

Disclaimer, I am not a cabinetmaker.

Cougar

Holiday to Center Parcs?

Disclaimer, I am not a cabinetmaker Olivander.

FTFY.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

too subtle for me Cougar

benp1

are you looking to do a proper job or just make it brown. you know mud is brown right?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Well, despite just make it brown sounding favourable, thought it’s be interesting to try a new skill out on something relatively harmless (well, as harmless as a pointy stick can be…)

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Oh, and apparently I’ll be needing a glue gun for more advanced wand making 🙂 so any recommendations there too!

househusband

Walnut oil – keep it artisan, craft and natural. Assuming she doesn’t have any nut allergies, of course.

Seriously; its one of the few natural polymerising oils besides tung and a few others. I’m an occasional woodturner and use it for bowls.

maccruiskeen

Theres stuff called ‘Van Dyke Brown’ which is made from the little bits of papery shrapnel you get between a walnut and the shell that gives wood a natural dark brown colour

You can also naturally age (rather than stain) wood using this trick described by the nicest man in the world.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QDXfmSuGZg[/video]

Oh, and apparently I’ll be needing a glue gun for more advanced wand making

They’re all much of a muchness.

shermer75
    Free Member

Loving The Crafs Man lol

maccruiskeen

Loving The Crafs Man lol

Its like the anti-venom to Donald Trump

kayak23

Burn it. No really.

Scorch it over the kitchen hob.

Practise so you get a nice even tan,brush off with a wire/stiff brush then wang some Danish oil or something on to finish it.

LeeW

Disclaimer, I am not a cabinetmaker Muggle.

funkmasterp

Best thread title for ages 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

crafs man rules – dimensional magic – c’mon!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQja7NGkpsM[/video]

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Kayak, I’ve tried the scorching option over the hob but it’s not working. Do you think it’s because it’s induction? 😆

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Best thread title for ages

Normal service will be resumed after the six weeks holiday I’m sure!

midlifecrashes

My kids used to make some good ones. Usual paint is acrylic, from The Works is cheap enough, or if you’re only doing the one, you’ll get enough colours from one of the cheap painting by numbers kits.

To save all the dowel whittling, start with a chopstick instead. Add details with a hot glue gun. The handle area you can whip with kitchen string for a good grip, or twisted wire for shiny. Coloured glass or stones on the boss end for more bling. Once painted, mod podge sealer/varnish to finish.

neilnevill
    Free Member

to stain wood, any waterbased brown substance will soak in. Coffee can be used to very good effect. Then oil or wax to seal

bigh
    Free Member

You can get stained wax, colour and finish in one, and it wont take hours to dry like oil will. Any diy merchant.
    Nothings more hipster than wire wool in vinegar though, unless you have to buy the wire wool and vinegar and wax, in which case whats the point

Oh and look up gilding wax too, ooooh shiny

bigh
    Free Member

Ooh look at that shiny blue

Sod it send it to me, i wanna do it myself now.

…when another man offers to polish your wand…

Cougar

Do you think it’s because it’s induction?

Yeah, you need conduction.

to stain wood, any waterbased brown substance will soak in.

That’s why I suggested Center Parcs.

…when another man offers to polish your wand…

… and turn it blue. 😯

mattyfez

Linseed oil could be an option.
    Or a cheap dark oak wood stain.

kayak23

breatheeasy – Member
    Kayak, I’ve tried the scorching option over the hob but it’s not working. Do you think it’s because it’s induction?

😆

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘So, best product to stain a wand?!’ is closed to new replies.