Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Ryde Trace 25 (Trail) and Trace 29 (Enduro) rims – any real world experience?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Looking at some new tubeless compatible rims for my susser that are wide enough to run 2.4″ tyres happily.

Both the Trail (25mm internal width) and the Enduro (29mm internal width) look amazing for the weight.

Has anyone real world experience with them? How did they build? Are the weights realistic? How stiff do the rims feel?

Thanks in advance!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Does the lack of response mean I’m taking a leap into the great unknown?

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I use them in 26″ format. Building seemed fine (although I have only built a few wheels so I don’t have much to compare against). They are pinned instead of welded though, and the join wasn’t perfect but not an issue with disc brakes!

Have gave them a good hammering over the last few months and only needed a minor tweak or two on the rear, which is probably more due to my build than the rim. Stiffness seems good, not quite as stiff as chinese carbons, but again could be due to my building skills.

Mintyjim

PJ – I have the 29mm Ryde Enduros on my bike and they’re light, stiff and nicely wide.

I did squash a significant portion on the sidewall at Antur Steniog running the rear at about 20psi whilst hammering it on the descents, but it unbelievably stayed true and didn’t let any air out.

I would recommend them without hesitation if you’re looking for new, wide rims.

HRII works great on the front but I’ve now switched to an Onza Ibex which is a tad bigger (2.4 rather than 2.35 but looks bigger) and the grip is better still.
    I was running a Spesh Purgatory on the rear but switched to the HRII for BPW this weekend.

I think they’re even made in Europe which is kinda nice, in my opinion.

Hope that helps!

DanW
    Free Member

Hi,

I have the Ryde Trace XC. They are significantly heavier than claimed, the asymmetrical rim is a PITA when it comes to fitting tyres (very little gap for the tyre bead to sit in between the valve and rim) and the spokes are constantly coming loose (have an identical wheelset from the same builder with different rims without any issue). Oh, and the max tyre pressure really is a max- 0.5psi over when getting the tyres seated and the tyre WILL blow off. I think someone here had similar feelings with Ryde Enduro rims (Northwind?) but I may be mistaken

Basically, they are ok but the quality isn’t mind blowingly amazing

matthew_h
    Free Member

Here are some comments I made on another thread about them:

I’ve had Trace Enduros on for about 9 months now. Built by me on Pro 2s. They build a very stiff wheel for the weight due to the offset spoke bead which is very good. I’ve also built a number of pairs for customers and haven’t had any back.

Their weight is very good for their width but sadly that seems to possibly come at a bit of a price. They seem to be rather susceptible to dings. I completely ruined my rear one at the Ard Rock last year hitting a rock. Bent the rim so far that there was a gap between the tyre bead and the rim bead.

Saying that, I have no proof that that incident wouldn’t have destroyed any other rim.

I re-rimmed the rear with another and it has been fine so maybe not too bad.

I cut my broken one into bits to compare the cross section with a Flow EX and due to them being pretty much the same weight, the narrower Flow is clearly thicker around the sidewalls which must give it more ding protection. The positioning of the inner rib of the Trace also looks like it might contribute to dings

In conclusion, they’re ok but not great. I’d prefer them to be 30g or so heavier and more resistant to dinging.

I’ve also built a few pairs with Trace Trails and had no problems at all with them.

ferrals
    Free Member

I also have trace XC’s (27.5) and like them. Using schwalbe tubeless easy tyres i found getting them set up a doddle. No spoke issues and still good and true after 8 months of riding, no dings even running at sub 20psi rear. I only weigh 9 stone though.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Thanks all – it’s basically reinforced what I suspected.

Their weight is very good for their width but sadly that seems to possibly come at a bit of a price.

Yeah, that’s the main reason for me not pressing the go button. I’m pretty light on a bike, but do get to proper mountains every so often.

Sounds on the whole like they’re pretty reasonable rims, certainly for 80% of the riding I do.

Northwind

I have the XCs, they seem decent mostly but they’re a nightmare for tubeless, IMO the rim is just too tight- I tried a few tyres, all of them go up easily on other rims and they were all a problem on these. Not sure if that extends to other models. Doesn’t bother me really as they’re on my commuter but I’d have been raging if it was for an xc bike.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yeah we did this about 6 weeks ago I think. Trace Trail 27.5 . They are a PITA to set up tubeless in my view, impossibly tight and difficult to get a tyre on. Not as strong as I’d like but light . Nice width gives a nice tyre profile. I’m happy with them but I won’t get them again when they do die.

pipiom
    Free Member

I’ve got Enduro 29’s…..Firstly, they are quite light (I’ve got AC hubs) and very strong, we’re quite rocky over here and I’ve dinged em a couple of times with no damage other than paint chips.

Secondly, tyres: i use Toros and its a two man job to get the last couple of inches onto the rim.

All in all I love the way they ride and am willing to put up with a bit of faff getting a tyre on.

Mintyjim

Funnily enough I had no problem getting the Purgatory’s, HRII and Ibex on

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

My concern is needing a second man out in the trail if I need to put a tube in, in the p*ssing rain.

pipiom
    Free Member

Once on for an hour or so, no probs at all…they must stretch to fit…..tubeless absolutely no probs, with track pump only.

Northwind

I had no problems getting the tyres on the rim, fwiw. Just getting them to mount properly tubeless- they inflate but they don’t bead right.

ferrals
    Free Member

i had no problems whatsoever with the schwalbe tubeless easy tyres, just slipped them on set them in the middle and pumped up with a track pump, didn’t even need soapy water. I did try an old conti x-king though and there was no-way in hell it was going on!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Interesting to read about the different tyres . My conti trail King , ardent and a shorty have all been nigh on impossible. I got the guy in the shop to do the shorty and he said it was the hardest he’d ever done. Yikes!

DanW
    Free Member

Just getting them to mount properly tubeless- they inflate but they don’t bead right.

My experience too. They are a weird hybrid between hookless and normal tubless rims- i.e. the tyres sit in a shallow channel but more press against it than pop in. This also means that the bead does not stay seated when deflated which further adds to the PITA getting the sealant in… and starts the will they won’t they fly off the rim game when pumped up again full of sealant.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I did try an old conti x-king though and there was no-way in hell it was going on!

Having run 2.4 X Kings in the past I can appreciate that. 🙂

Assuming Conti are usually quite tight, how have Spesh and Maxxis gone on?

jimplops

My trailblazers seated with a nice crack on the enduro and we’re tightish to fit no problem going up.

P20

I’ve got some enduro with Schwalbe. I’ve not been able to ride them yet though. Nice stiff rims and the tyres went on very easily, if with some properly loud bangs as they popped in to place!

rolkin
    Free Member

I’m just getting a front wheel built with a slightly wider Trail 29er rim instead of a Crest which would be my usual choice. I would have ideally liked the trail XC rim, but I was told it’s no longer available due to issues with durability?

cheers_drive

I picked up a pair of these today built on to DT Swiss 350. Quality looks ok without the join is obvious and the stickers look cheap.
    I nearly gave up putting the tyres on, Geax Goma and Suguaro TNT took and hour to fit. The trick is to fit the bead furthest from the well first, Malibu sure the bead is in the well. Then fit the valve, then do the other bead. It was so tight that I couldnt pull the beads out if the well by hand, however this meant that they went up tubeless first time with a track pump, very load pops when the beads seat. I have sore thumbs now and I hope the bead stretches a bit before I get a puncture.
    Used 19mm Superstar tubeless tape, pressed fully into the well.

phutphutend

My real world experience is that they are made from something similar to cheese. One weeks riding in the Pyrenees (with dual ply tyres!) and they are almost destroyed.

Although the wheels have stayed pretty true, the bead is completely fully of dings. One fractured the bead and the sidewall. In my opinion, the beads are just too thin.

My friends on Stans FLows and even XC rims had no issues.

scruff
    Free Member

I folded over and cracked the bead on my rear in the peaks. Front is still fine.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Ryde Trace 25 (Trail) and Trace 29 (Enduro) rims – any real world experience?’ is closed to new replies.