Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Riding home for a pint with Dad
  • jimmy

I’m a bit bored at work so thought I’d put something up about a wee excursion I had recently.

Backstory: My dad died of cancer a year ago. Stupid shitty disease bugged him for the third and final time in 9 years. At the second time in 2013 I said I’d run a marathon to raise some money – the 6 month training program ran nicely in parallel with his 6 month chemo schedule so we’d both go through pain together and come out smiling. Well, he did but distance running wasn’t for me or my knees. Roll on 3 years and I still owe my sponsors from that some suffering so decided to ride from home in Edinburgh to his local in Chesterfield for a pint – only 309 miles, or so I thought. An idea which, when suggested to my dad previously, he said was silly.

So the plan was to ride the 309 miles which google maps said it was over 72 hours – start Thursday lunchtime, finish Sunday lunchtime. with a rough schedule of 50,100,100,50 mile days. I’ve never ridden over 100 miles in a oner before so carrying my camping gear (and using it) on consecutive days was going to make this a challenge.

The route consisted 99% of NCN routes and I know there are mixed opinions on these, but when one leaves from my doorstep it is a great feeling to roll out of my garage and onto a network of cycle routes that will take me within spitting distance of my target pub over 300 miles away. The forecast I’d woken up to was for gales and heavy showers, the latter clearing by lunchtime which held true. The westerly gales blew me along the East Lothian coastline in blustery, sunny conditions. It was easy going and I was pleased to arrive at camp 1 in time to set up, shower and have a leisurely stroll before dinner in the pub.

For day 2 and 3, I had planned for an 8am depart every day with 9-10 hours in the saddle to arrive 6-7pm and a similarly leisurely evening. This is context setting…

Day 2 was glorious to begin, I’d been looking forward to riding South through the sunny Northumbrian coast and it turned out to be just that. By late morning I was feeling quite smug about the whole thing and afforded myself a late lunch stop in Craster for famous crab sandwiches. At this point, about 230pm, numbers started not to add up. I had done over half of my planned mileage but looking at the Sustrans maps it seemed I still had 70ish to do until my next camp just South of Sunderland. Something was wrong, I blamed my map interpretation but got moving with an underlying but disbelieving sense of urgency.

For the next couple of hours I theorised on the mileage discrepancy and realised that Google maps, despite saying it will use NCN Routes, will not follow these to turn for turn. If it can save a few miles by staying on a road rather than send you round attractive towns and villages, it will. The damage was done, however, and my religious obedience of the blue and white signposts had added over 20 miles onto my morning. I wasn’t going to make camp for 6, maybe between 7-8 but that’s with Newcastle and Sunderland to navigate… in the dark.

And then my pannier fell to pieces, a victim of the less-than-smooth paths I’d taken. This was at 6pm still north of Newcastle, by which my anxiety levels were sufficient to consider booking into a B&B. I’ve never ridden like this on my own before, having to do all the thinking for myself was really proving a challenge – but that’s what this was about, so the B&B idea was swiftly deleted and the pannier bodged back together. To be safe, I called the campsite. I was already late but needed some reassurance that my pitch was waiting for me – the owner was on her way out for the evening so had emailed me instructions already and left me a 50p for the shower. This was comforting beyond belief.

The next comfort was finding the ferry across the Tyne still operating at 730pm, saving me more miles round the bridge. Next up, Sunderland – an assault on the senses after such a serene, beautiful morning; the amusements were in full swing and lined the cycle path all the way in. Loud, bright, rowdy, brutal. For fear of not finding food in a quieter spot, I stopped for fish and chips amongst all this – hungry but anxious, it was hard to eat.

At this point, I had to reality check. Here I was in a UK city surrounded by facilities, but for how I felt I could have been in remotest India. I like to know where and when I’m sleeping for the night and for the past 7 hours I’d been living off nervous energy – it was madness really, but this kind of trip was all new to me. Leaving the bustle of the amusements sent me into the quiet, dark, Friday night outskirts of Sunderland – now I really was a bit scared which wasn’t helped by a gang of lads who lined the path as I came through. My bright helmet light seemingly backing them off, distancing themselves from their bong.

I was using my phone for navigation, pulling it from my pocket as needed and that was turning out to be a lot. At one wrong turn, turning the bike round slowly I stumbled and dropped my phone. Having cracked many a phone, this was a slow motion moment when panic instantly set in – without my phone, I would literally be lost. The relief to find it still working was huge.

At 9:55pm after 13.5hours on the bike and 127 miles, I rolled into the campsite. Behind me, a lady got out of the car that followed me in. It was the owner… “You ARE late” she said. She doesn’t know how close she came to being hugged.

I woke up feeling surprisingly refreshed, despite lying awake and cold for an hour in the early hours. I wanted to crack on before any chance of the impending fatigue kicked in. The morning consisted largely of cross country, gravel tracks. All I could think was when will my pannier collapse again – a good old zip tie fix was keeping it together. I had Stockton on Tees to navigate around midday. Despite the previous day’s blunder, I went blindly into the day’s route finding and immediately felt the pressure of taking time to find an expedient route versus just keep riding. I made a promise to prepare my routes better in the future but soon enough found myself spat out into the outskirts of the North York Moors, which loomed grey in the distance.

I found myself amongst a bunch of sportivers approaching the hills and stopped to take advantage of their mechanical support to check my pannier. After being invited to eat their food, too, I was asked where I was heading. “York” drew sucks of air through teeth, its a fair way to there. “Well, I’m heading to Selby from there”. Selby ?! Ahaha, good luck! I withheld my final destination of Temple Hirst, being still South of Selby.

The grey hills lived up to the picture they painted and it rained hard for a good hour or more. Because of the rain, I neglected to check the route at a crucial junction – the blue sign very clearly pointed left. After 10 minutes descending a typically rocky and now very wet track, all I could see was moorland with no obvious exit point. Checking my phone for the route, the sign had lied and pointed me in exactly the wrong direction. On a remote North Yorks moor, no one can you scream. Conscious of the previous day’s schedule, I was as much concerned about the half hour I’d waste on this wrong turn as I was annoyed at having to climb back up where I’d painfully descended in the still pouring rain.

The rain had halted by the time I decided to stop myself for food and a ridiculously good pot of tea. I was just onto the next paper map so could judge my destination. 40 miles to go and it was 330pm, things weren’t as bad as they’d felt for the past 2 hours and from this point in, the going was relatively sublime. Smooth, flat roads were very welcome after the hills and gravel paths, meaning also I could get a good head of steam and dry out.

In contract to the previous day, navigating and riding into and through York was a dream and a magnificent example of what the NCN can be. Right through to Selby on the Trans Pennine Trail, the traffic-free paths were smooth and easy going setting my confidence of reaching camp by 8pm. A slightly longer than expected, but in time for last food orders at 830pm.

A suggestion from STW, the Sloop Inn was quite a place. A tremendously camp barman, a drunken campsite warden, everyone drinking there clearly worked there or was related to someone who did. It was a great bit of comedy relief after two days of next to no interaction with anyone. The “campsite” itself consisted of a field with a loo. It was enough.

Day 3 consisted of one big decision – stay on the NCN from Doncaster for an extra 10 – 20 miles or hit the roads for a direct route to Rother Valley. Battling with traffic seemed an unfitting way to finish this trip, so when I was woken at 530am by the campsite cockerel with built in snooze function, rolling out in the hazy 7am sunrise helped the decision to take the long way round.

Another slap on the back for NCN. With the thought of riding through some lesser thought of areas of South Yorkshire, I was intent on doing it out of principle. But the National Cycle Routes have a habit of showing off a place for its best and I would never have expected a route through Doncaster, Rotherham and Barnsley to be so glorious. Helped by the sun shining, of course, but the ability to negotiate the area in such surroundings is a credit to the work Sustrans do (in my opinion).

Coming into Sheffield, the route became harder to navigate and being so close to home, frustration began to creep in and snowball itself as increasing wrong turns resulted. Eventually, at a junction only a couple miles out I asked a fellow cyclist by where he was heading and gratefully followed his wheel to my rendez vous at Rother Valley.

It had been a hugely emotional 3 days for me. When I had imagined meeting my sister and friends at Rother Valley it choked me up. I had also received considerably more sponsorship, despite regarding it as suffering owed. Through the countless wrong turns, dark streets, wet hills and frustrated navigation, the reason for doing it really kept me going where I might otherwise have given up. When I finally saw my sister, it was relief and I babbled away recounting tales from the trip for longer than I should.

The final leg was along Route 67 to Chesterfield where I lived for most of my life (just, still). A final flourish for the NCN, it took me to within less than a mile of my Dad’s local in Holymoorside, the Lamb Inn. A friend had joked on Facebook “a nice boozer, when its open”. I had talked for too long at the Valley – the pub had closed minutes before arriving… Fortunately the Bull’s Head round the corner was open and served up a great first pint – poor thing didn’t stand a chance.

The idea that Dad had called silly wasn’t quite silly. Chatting away over a (few) pint(s) with family, it had clearly been a great adventure for me but also the physical, emotional and mental challenge I’d wanted it to be…. and all for the cause of raising funds for Bloodwise.

Told you I wasn’t busy, this went on a bit longer than expected…. The few pictures I have might follow but can’t be accessed from work.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Amazing story!

Takes guts to do a ride like that for the first time. Wouldn’t mind doing something similar eventually.

You can always look back on this now as a decent experience in years to come 🙂

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Great read!

orangespyderman

Hat off to you. What a ride and what a fantastic thing to do, and what a fantastic tale to tell. Write a book about it and sell it for more fundraising, if you ask me 🙂

Thanks for sharing what is, basically, a private moment (ok, long moment 🙂 )

jekkyl

Nice one Jimmy, brightended up my lunchtime. I bet you were sick of the sight of those cycle gates. Did you turn the sign back so that it pointed the right way? 🙂

tjagain

Well done. Nice read and a great adventure.

simon1975

Excellent! Well done you, and well written.

jimmy

I would have turned the sign back the right way had it not still been coming out the sky when I passed it. Instead, I swore at it and informed Sustrans Yorkshire to mobilise their volunteers!

And yes, the cycle gates… Had forgotten about them, but became quite adept at passing through the triangular frames without stopping.

EDIT: forgot to add above, total distance came in at 367 miles!

user-removed
    Free Member

*like* Sounds like a confidence building adventure with added pathos and meaning.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Nice write up.
    Best bit of lunchtime reading in a long time 🙂

jamj1974

Really well done and a great read for lunchtime. I’ll raise a glass to you, your long ride and your dad.

fieldy
    Free Member

Could not stop reading this… Well done buddy

ton

good that.

swavis

Great stuff, I enjoyed that. Nice read 😀

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Jimmy = is the i

As in “I am legend”.

Well done and great write up too.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Enjoyed that. Well done!

Mackem

Good work! (both riding and writing)

tillydog
    Free Member

Nice write-up of an audacious trip. Well done on both counts 🙂

cokie

Enjoyed the read. Well done 😀

shaungero
    Free Member

Such a good read mate, really enjoyed that.
    Well done too 😀

jimmy

Thanks folks, appreciate the feedback 🙂

stevestunts
    Free Member

I really enjoyed reading that, thank you – and well done on the ride!

dubber
    Free Member

Well done … for a great cause.
    And a great lunch time read as well .

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bmd flaters

ads678

Well done sir. sounds like a great adventure and for a great cause.

spawnofyorkshire

That’s a great write up and well done on having an adventure in your dads name
    Inspiring stuff and a worthy cause

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Well done Jim, I reckon your old man woulda been very proud.

Furious

Good stuff and good write up

disco_stu
    Free Member

Thanks for posting this up, it made for a great read.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Well that gives us nothing to talk about this weekend then, eh!

Really enjoyed reading that, well done Jim.

jonathan
    Free Member

Good read – well done (riding and writing!)

northernerindevon

Nice one. That’s a great read & fair play for the ride. Your old man would have been proud.

goby

Ah thats a great read and thanks for sharing i too will raise a glass to you and your Dad! 🙂

jeffl

That’s great. I may try doing the reverse of the route and heading from Chesterfield to Edinburgh. What sort of bike did you use and would you recommend? I’ve got a choice of MTB or dropped bar commuter.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

great read Jim, thanks for that and well done

jimmy

Jeffl – I have a tripster atr which I failed to mention but could happily eulogise about. I’d defo go with the commuter, maybe with bigger tyres if needs me. I have 28mm slicks and was fine overall (except the York Moors wrong turn) but maybe 5% of the time a bit more comfort would have been good.

ocrider

I’m guessing that this bike wasn’t equipped with a certain pair of brakes…

That’s the best ride write up I’ve read in a while. You deserve beer and 10 internets, sir.

jimmy

The Elixirs? 🙂

senorj

Nice one Cyril ,err,Jimmy .
    Top stuff.

sandboy

Thanks for sharing your adventure, really enjoyed the read! Your Dad would have been proud of your courage and determination.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Riding home for a pint with Dad’ is closed to new replies.