Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Rats' nest in my composter
  • Harry_the_Spider

I’ve chucked in some poison and sealed the two entry tunnels. Will keep an eye on it to see if more holes appear.

Is there anything else I can be doing?

SkillWill
    Free Member

Poor rats 🙁

neilthewheel

I read that as “rats nest in my computer”. Sorry that’s no help.

iolo
    Free Member
    rumple
    Free Member

nuke? 😈

jekkyl

Air rifle.

surfer
    Free Member

fasthaggis

iolo
    Free Member

You know anyone with a terrier OP?
    edit: as above

falkirk-mark

Wouldn’t imagine anyone will be sending a dog etc in if the OP has already poisoned them.

Stoner
    Free Member

you be needing a patterdale and a large shovel to whop the rats on the head with as they flee.

Rockplough
    Free Member

nuke?

Yes. From orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

nickjb
    Free Member

Dig it out. Its good to turn your compost anyway. They may come back or move on.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am with surfer here, go to the beach and take photos of mens arses.

Wont help but you will have fun

jaymoid

Dig it out. Its good to turn your compost anyway.

oooh conteroversial!
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2011/sep/02/friday-debate-compost-turning

I personally don’t, although I might do if I had a family of rats in there.

terrahawk
    Free Member

we had rats in the roof space in an outbuilding that I demolished (old house, outside bog). I was up a ladder, removing the slates when all of a sudden they all legged it ACROSS MY HEAD.

luckily I landed on the grass when I fell off the ladder.
    I’ve no idea where they went. Maybe our next door neighbour smoked them in her bong.

Harry_the_Spider

I know where they went

.. My effing composter. That’s where

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Not likely a grain of truth to this but I’ll spout it any how (’tis the Internet after all)

Be careful of the (poisoned) rats setting fire to your composter as the phosphorous in the poison breaks down in their rotting carcases. I heard this once happened in a loft. (more likely urban myth than fact bu…)

rumple
    Free Member

poisoned rats – poisoned compost – poisoned tomatos – apocalypse

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Terriers make a very quick and clean kill. Approved.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P98C6W7weLA[/video]

Boring video..but the point of it is Jack Russell/Terrier

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I read that as “rats nest in my computer”. Sorry that’s no help.

+1

njee20
    Free Member

Fasthaggis has it – kill them to death with fire.

allthegear
    Free Member

Reminds me when I worked at an outdoor centre. We had some rats in the straw bales used for the archery. Once the kids had gone one weekend, some diesel, a match and much target practice was had with the air rifles… (didn’t want to waste arrows…)

Rachel

chambord
    Free Member

We used to have rats living in both our composters.

They were actually quite good for the compost as they turned it all over.

Never did the tomatoes any harm.

terrahawk
    Free Member

get a jack russell. they’re ace.

squirrelking
    Free Member

What I read:

Anyway, I wouldn’t be using that compost for food now that you’ve been flinging poison in. Truth be told it probably wouldn’t be very good for much mixed with that stuff. Probably better just dumping it and starting again.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I was called out to a job yesterday where a rat had set up home in a less than year old Mitsubishi Outlander and eaten through most of the wiring loom whilst peeing everywhere. The smell and the mess was astonishing. The damn thing had even left droppings between the headlining and the roof. Composts heaps are fairly common places for rats to make a nest at this time of year, cars thankfully less so.

I wouldn’t be using that compost for food now that you’ve been flinging poison in. Truth be told it probably wouldn’t be very good for much mixed with that stuff.

The active ingredients in rat bait are never present in a concentration of more that 0.005% in most cases and only have an active life of a few weeks inside bodily tissues and vital organs. The presence of a decomposing rat in the compost would be more of a concern.

jota180
    Free Member

you be needing a patterdale and a large shovel to whop the rats on the head with as they flee.

It’s very easy to end up hitting the dog as well/instead of the rats, both move with lightening speed
    I have a few T shirts from various campaigns regarding this 🙂

If you’re not worried which way they’ll run, a simple hosepipe down the hole will have them leaving home pdq

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Rats' nest in my composter’ is closed to new replies.