Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hope Pro 2 Evo – removing cassette and not freehub too !
  • iainc

Whats the easiest way of getting my 10 speed XT cassette, which needs replaced, off the alloy freehub given that it’s going to be a bit ‘stuck on’ in usual Hope fashion. Would rather not pop freehub as dont have reseating tool for seal to hand

padkinson
    Free Member

I put the wheel down on the floor with the cassette side facing down, with the end of the axle adapter thing on the floor, so the freehub doesn’t pop off. I then put a (very) blunt screwdriver with some cloth wrapped around it through the spokes and onto the back of the cassette. Give it a few sharp knocks with a hammer and it should come off.

Try to get hold of a cassette cogs mounted on an aluminium spider, which will stop this problem in the future.

iainc

thanks for that, will give it a go. XT cassette usually ok spider wise, but last one I did was a little dug into freehub body

shortcut

Use a second chain whip to turn the stuck sprockets anti clockwise out of the notches they created for themselves!

It should then come apart easily.

tomd
    Free Member

If it’s been used a bit the “seal” will be slacker than a slack thing! Should just pop back in place or use a plastic tyre lever to give it a nudge. It’s a pretty rubbish seal, other seals are offended by the association.

eshershore
    Free Member

I lay wheel on floor, wrap a rag around the base of the cassette, and with flat blade screw driver and hammer, tap the individual cassette cogs to get them to unseat from the notches they’ve cut into the freehub body. Usually one at a time, until you reach the spider mounted cogs, this should come straight off.

You can dress the body with a steel file to take the burrs off, and refit the cassette with some anti-seize, but it does not really help, and I’ve suffered from the gouges in the body getting worse, clicking and creaking noises under power and even shifting dwell as the cogs have ended up out of alignment

The only solution is to swap out the alloy body for the steel body, after the 3rd one went on my road bike, Hope gave me a steel body FOC.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I use a chainwhip to stop the cassette from rotating while giving the rest an anti-clockwise bash with a rubber mallet.

Works every time, but don’t use your best rubber mallet!

iainc

cheers all, some great fixes in there, thanks

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’m new to this malaise. Having stripped my wheel the other day I was quite alarmed when, instead of just the cassette coming off, the whole freehub body – with cassette still attached – came off! What is this badly engineered pile of carp?

Cheapo Shimano freehubs played perfectly well with a variety of cassettes fitted to them, so what gives with the Pro 2 Evo?

So anyway, what tips for removing a cassette off a now unattached freehub body?

spuddle
    Free Member

What I do is screw the locking ring back on and use a chain whip on each individual cog to free them from being embedded, until the last that are all together

stilltortoise
    Free Member

OK I’ll try that thanks

righog
    Free Member

The axle will snap soon as well. HTH

PJ266
    Free Member

Or it might be fine for seven years+, one or the other. HTH.

tomaso
    Free Member

Place cassette and freehub body bottom down on an open vice so that cassette is supported but freehub is not. Nice lu!mp of wood on lip of freehub and whack with mallet. Jiggling with a pair of chain whips also helps.

PS removed springs and pawls before commencing whacking…

philjunior
    Free Member

I could be mistaken but I’m pretty sure the seal will stay in place if you rotate the freewheel whilst pulling it out. Then just take the sprockets off one by one using any of the methods suggested above (with better access to them as there’s no wheel in the way).

It’s then probably a good time to clean up and regrease the freewheel mechanism.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2 Evo – removing cassette and not freehub too !’ is closed to new replies.