Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Quick! Instant Scalextric help required please!
  • ourmaninthenorth

Question: how can I tell which radius curves a particular set has?

I’m going to buy the Mini Challenge set and want to add some barriers for the curves but need to make sure I order the right ones.

Can’t find any useful info online – is it obvious by sight?

Context: it’s my birthday this weekend and I’ve taken to choosing a present I can share with my daughter (Lego has featured before). It’s as much for her as it is for me.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Think H-t-S knows his Scalextric. (He’s on Twitter too if he’s not around here.)

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers DD.

JonW
    Free Member

The sets have only R2 curves (C8206).

ourmaninthenorth

Thanks Jon. Super helpful.

*Off to Amazon*

Harry_the_Spider

They look like R2s.

Buy a shed load of more track too. And a separate power supply with a twin feed Power Base. And some more throttles as they break really easily but are only £1 on ebay. And some more cars… lots more cars. And some beer and crisps.

Then get your mates round.

ourmaninthenorth

Thanks HTS. Following Jon’s advice, I’ve ordered R2 barriers as well (in a vain attempt to provide some resistance as the cars go piling off the bends…).

For now I haven’t bought any more track (that’s what ebay is for, right?). And sadly, I don’t think I have my old cars from when I was a lad (incl BMW M1 and Audi Quattro…) though I will check again.

But no doubt the bug will bite than underused spare bedroom will end up with track snaking all round it.

Yay for kidulthood..!

ironnigel
    Free Member

Kidulthood! I’m ‘avin’ that one!

Harry_the_Spider

They are “Super Resistant” cars with one piece bodies and painted windows, so they should survive a barrel roll into a skirting board.

Stoner
    Free Member

while you’re shopping buy some spare braids too.

Cougar

I’ve ordered R2 barriers as well (in a vain attempt to provide some resistance as the cars go piling off the bends…).

Have you tried slowing down a bit? I thought that was the point?

Harry_the_Spider

Not possible once the red mist descends.

ourmaninthenorth

Have you tried slowing down a bit? I thought that was the point?

I shall style my Scalextric driving on Mrs North’s regular road driving, which is neatly summed up by the motto of the Queen’s Royal Lancer’s.

ourmaninthenorth

while you’re shopping buy some spare braids too.

Bum. Knew there was something.

*Adds to basket*

Rickos
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    They are “Super Resistant” cars with one piece bodies and painted windows, so they should survive a barrel roll into a skirting board.

But as my two boys will tell you, the wing mirrors will snap off…

Good little set though. If you have a dog or fluffy floors you’ll need to clean the cars out inside as they just start going slow as all the fluff and fur builds up around the axles and that.

ourmaninthenorth

Good little set though.

Don’t worry, I’m now all over the various slot car forums and am designing a scale version of the Nordschleife for the garage.

This is STW after all….

crankboy
    Free Member

Do not listen to harry the spider i did i now have more scalextrix than floor space.

ourmaninthenorth

Love it..!

Harry_the_Spider

😀

n+1

ourmaninthenorth

n+1

Er, yes. I’m on ebay now coveting all the various Audi Quattros. Also need to track down a replacement for the BMW M1 I had – was the perfect combination of speed and handling.

This could get expensive!

keng38
    Free Member

Get a police car with siren and flashing lights.

JonW
    Free Member

Have a look in the tracks section on here and get ready to spend some real money! 😀

ourmaninthenorth

Have a look in the tracks section on here

Found myself there yesterday – the modelling skill of some people is extraordinary. Thankfully I have neither the time nor the talent….

Harry_the_Spider

Slot Forum. I’m a member.

It is the world’s most straight laced forum. I once had the temerity to say that AutoArt slot cars are rubbish and they deleted my post.

AutoArt slot cars are rubbish BTW. There is a reason why you can buy them for a tenner. The body shells are brittle, the wiring is cheap and the tires are rock hard so there is no grip. Beautiful models though, but they are at their best when they are still in the box.

SCX cars are the best IMHO. Not as quick as scalextric but more fun to slide about. Adjustable magnates mean that you can alter the level of grip. At full price they are a bit steep but occasionally bargains can be had.

SCX Ferrari 360s are my favourite. They are short and wide, so you can slide them about. Also, they do them in many different liveries, so you can have a race night with matched cars.

SCX NASCARS can take a lot of abuse because they don’t have mirrors and fins.

The F1 cars on the other hand aren’t the best. The suspension elements and working steering don’t like impacts with furniture, and they don’t ride too well on my crappy old uneven track. Also, the lack of weight in the nose means that they don’t trigger the lap counter. Nice to look at though, and they are OK if you behave yourself but are not the best for kids.

ourmaninthenorth

I’m so STW.

The bloody thing hasn’t even arrived yet and already Il;m escalating my requirements way beyond anything I need!

And you, HTS and JonW, aren’t helping…. 😉

Harry_the_Spider

SCX also have interchangeable motor pods that you can get for a couple of quid each on ebay from Belgium IIRC, so when you blow an engine (lots of smoke, looks ace) you can easily swap it out.

Me and the boy are building Dining Room Suzuka tomorrow. Will post pictures. 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Powersliding my DBR9.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KODaGlWnjNg[/video]

bearnecessities

I don’t know what’s worse:

Setting up to video your scalextric car going around a corner and loading it to YouTube, or

Me watching it twice, just to make sure it wasn’t actually fairly awesome and made smile. No. Definitely not. 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers HTS – keep em coming!

Harry_the_Spider

SCX rally cars. New but unboxed. http://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve even got a Vectra.

and this is on my Christmas list.

ourmaninthenorth

Blast. Was out when Amazon tried to deliver today – fingers crossed they try again tomorrow.

I’ve got the need. The need for speed!

senorj

This thread is genius…guess what L’il J is getting for crimble?thanks for the scx info..
    I had the jps figure of eight set in the 70s….and whilst changing the brushes thought I was performing brain surgery..ha.

Harry_the_Spider

The downside of SCX is that they are designed for a lower voltage than Scalextric so they can occasionally suffer a failure of the headlights. I get round this by soldering a 100 Ohm resistor in series on the feed. Dead easy to do, but you will need a soldering iron. Resistors are about a penny each.

If the lights do go POP then you can replace them with standard 3mm LEDs.

spursn17
    Free Member

HTS; I used to have a couple of Fly cars, are they still worth buying?

Harry_the_Spider

Dunno. I’ve not got any Fly.

In my experience Scalextric, SCX and Carrera are worth having. Spirit and AutoArt are not.

ourmaninthenorth

And it’s here. Have resisted setting up – need to go out for some fresh air first then back home later for childhood mk2!

Harry_the_Spider

Dining Room Suzuka!

Harry_the_Spider

Come on OMiTN. Photos or it didn’t happen!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Quick! Instant Scalextric help required please!’ is closed to new replies.