Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Puffin List help please
  • trout
    Free Member

The Singular Puffins should be arriving soon ( I hope )
    so now need to get some stuff to build it up and its been a few years since I bought new stuff so wanting to find out whats bestest .

I have got .
    Holtzfeller crank with single ring ( from the OOfatty )
    100 mm BB to suit
    Pair of On one wheels and tyres from the xmas sale

need help with everything else
    want a Hope 40 T-rex sprocket but which cassette Shimano or Sram
    rear mech ?? and shifter ??
    seatpost
    seat
    Headset
    stem
    bars
    Brakes would like Hopes
    and owt I have missed

Thanks in advance

wwaswas

cables?

Got my on-one wheels and tyres through the other day 🙂 spent a tense lunchtime the other day drilling the rear rim out, still got front to do.

All getting quite exciting!

whilst we’re on this subject and sorry for the hijack;

I will be running a 9 speed rear cassette on mine but want a double at the front.

What front mech for the Puffin running double with 9 speed shifters?

scud
    Free Member

Just built a Mukluk and if you are running single ring front and 40t adaptor at back, i’d look to get a 16t rear sprocket for cassette (Rose bikes). You have to take out the 17t from the cassette to fit the adaptor, but it makes it less of a jump if you remove the 15t and 17t and put in a 16t, only about £3.50 from them.

drofluf
    Free Member

Chain
    Pedals

Think I just need cassette and chain for mine. Better check the list

trout
    Free Member

Which rear mech is best for the 11/40 range cassette

Aidan
    Free Member

From my experience with the prototype and first production Puffin, you’ll need a duster to wipe down your other neglected bikes in a couple of months.

Fun, fun bike.

On a practical point, you might need a fairly long seatpost. I don’t know the lengths off-hand, but I had to use a longer post on the Puffin than the Swift. But the big standover is very useful for when your feet punch through snow and your nuts don’t quite get smashed on the top-tube.

wwaswas

congratulations on the Iditarod ride Aidan – you finished in stunning time 🙂

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Chris – I’ve emailed you (@blueyonder addy) but if you don’t get it email me (chairman@singletraction.co.uk) as you qualify for the Hope deal through SingletrAction.

Tim

trout
    Free Member

Whay hay 😀 thats ace news Tim will get a list of bits needed asap
    Just need to find out which Hope headset is needed .

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

No problems.

Send yourself bonkers with this brochure. Headsets are baffling nowadays 😉

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/HOPEHEADSETS2011Web.pdf

trout
    Free Member

Yes too true cant believe how complex headsets have got.

Emailed Sam at Singular and he said “In Hope’s terminology you need a 1H headset. ” so that bits sorted out
    now for the brakes
    think I want the Tech 3 E4`s

freehighlander
    Free Member

Brakes??? Shimano are excellent I have them on nearly all my bikes now mostly the basic one you really don’t need anything else. Other than that I would recommend Avids used them for a number of years.

My big box of parts is full for my Puffin 😉

trout
    Free Member

I have a pair of Avids that came on the OO Fatty they were not very good and couldnt sell them for £50 the pair on the classifieds

Due to the Singletraction / Hope discount if Hope make it then I will be getting it .
    order list so far
    Hope Tech 3 E4 brakes front and rear.
    Hope 1-H headset
    Fatsno QR`s a pair
    Stem but not sure which size just yet
    Hope Retainer ring either 34 or 36 tooth
    Hope 40 T-Rex sprocket
    Hope eternity seatpost if it really does exist

need rear mech, cassette and shifter
    and some bars

freehighlander
    Free Member

Dunno about the New avids but Ive had Juiceys for years never let me down But I like the fact that shimano uses mineral oil and they are really easy to bleed.

TBO I ve never liked the look of hopes and every set Ive seen/HEARD they squeal summit terrible shimano fur me. CHEEP and simple.

boltonjon

Not half as excited as me!!! I’ve been going crazy with anticipation!!

My wheels are currently being built
    Tyres arrived today
    Groupset & brakes will be a mix of SLX, Raceface and Zee (1 x 10)
    Headset & hubs are Hope
    Got a 2nd hand X-fusion dropper
    Saddle, cables, pedals, bars, stem & other sundries are ready to bolt on

How can we make that ship from Taiwan go faster???? 🙂

coastkid
    Free Member

Hip Flask cage/flask and a nice Malt if you can make FORTH FAT in April 🙂

Sam

Doh, just found out they didn’t get on the ship this week due to a customs inspection… 🙁

Candodavid
    Free Member

Oh well, a bit longer to wait then

Candodavid
    Free Member

Anyone had any Puffin news?

drofluf
    Free Member

This was on Facebook recently:

Quote Facebook

Singular Cycles The ones in the US yes, the UK/EU ones I am still waiting on a confirmed delivery date.
    Like · Reply · 9 May at 11:16

Singular Cycles US ones have landed at Colorado Speciality Velo LLC! Pre-orders and KS backers frames will ship imminently.
    Like · Reply · 9 May at 09:21

letmetalktomark

Candodavid – Member

Anyone had any Puffin news?

I’m sure the last Kickstarter email had them landing in the UK/EU last week 😕

I pinged Sam an email and used Singular’s Facebook wall to ask the question but have heard nothing back 🙁

A chap on a group ride at the weekend said he knew Sam and had been riding with him recently. He alluded to there was no further info as to when they were landing*

Its a long time to wait for a frame 🙁 Seven months on Friday by my reckoning.

Come on Sam I’m itching to get out on my Puffin 😆

* This of course may have been BS/rumor mongering as the chap was on a Salsa fat bike 😆

swavis

I’d really hoped to be riding mine at the Rock & Road event at the weekend but ended up on my Inbred.

Seems a long time ago I ordered it. Dunno if I’d do it this way again, possibly if I knew the lead time before I’d ordered so I knew when to expect it. I thought there’d be a delay of a few weeks but it’s months now.

Oh well, it’ll be here when it’s here. Just hope it’s worth the wait 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Puffin List help please’ is closed to new replies.