Home Forums Chat Forum Pssst! Wanna buy a 70 year old fire engine?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pssst! Wanna buy a 70 year old fire engine?
  • wwaswas

and if you don’t do you know anyone that does (or where I might find someone who might)?

My Dad has one of these (a 1943 Dennis Merryweather with Turntable ladder) he’s looking to sell. Located in North Wales. I’ve not seen it for some time and it’s probably unfair to describe condition but I suspect it’ll need work to get it running and road worthy.

Between 1941 and 1943 Dennis built some forty-three Turntable Fire Appliances including this one, chassis number 3161A. Merryweather of London were responsible for installing the fire fighting equipment including a Sulzer engine-driven pump on the rear deck which primarily supplied water to the nozzle at the head of the ladder. Designated the Type A, the ladder could extend to 100 feet and was hydraulically operated via a power take off from the road engine which in the case of chassis 3161A is a Meadows 9.5 litre petrol unit.

alex222
    Free Member

These people may be worth contacting[/url]

rewski
    Free Member

donate[/url]

wwaswas

rewski – won’t they want something a bit more modern?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Been there – done that. Ours was a Dennis too with a Rolls Royce petrol engine. Sub 8mpg.

Yours looks handy for washing windows or treetop pruning.

wwaswas

treetop pruning

I’m sure it would be exactly what you need 🙂

TiRed

Try Imperial College’s RCS Motor Club[/url]. It would sit nicely next to their 1914 Dennis, Jezebel.

rewski
    Free Member

good point wrong link try this one

wwaswas

ah, thanks – that one on the page you linked to is the same but without the turntable ladder 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

cracking vehicle, should be in a transport museum or something though? Try contacting one see if they want to buy it?

rewski
    Free Member

I thought it looked familiar, my 4 and 8 year old boys would love it.

wwaswas

got some pics through now so will start seeing if anyone’s interested.

A little less shine than the first one I showed…

wwaswas

Bit more info and more pictures now on a small website my son did;

http://www.dennismerryweather1943.co.uk/%5B/url%5D

if anyone’s interested.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pssst! Wanna buy a 70 year old fire engine?’ is closed to new replies.