Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Pneumonia recovery, any tips?
  • palmer77
    Free Member

As per the title, I am recovering from pneumonia. I’ve had 3 x lots of antibiotics a chest x-ray and a ct scan last week. Prior to diagnosis I had a couple of infections but had just put them aside as normal colds. I carried on cycling and did some major miles across a two/three week period. During this time I had a chesty cough which ultimately became an infection in my right lung. I’ve not ridden my bike since the beginning of July, and recently spent two weeks on holiday in Cornwall. I was feeling a bit better, but this week I seem to have acquired a sinus infection and am feeling rubbish again. From what I’ve heard once you’ve had pneumonia your immunity takes a hit and you can have a constant cycle of illness. Anyone have any experience of this, and what type of exercise may be helpful in recovery?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I managed to recover within a month and got back to running and biking. But your case may be different. It’s a definite how long is a piece of string question.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I had Pneumonia 3 years ago when I was 37.

Completely knocked me for six. I had 8 courses of oral antibiotics and once the GP finally suggested I needed to go to hospital I started getting better. Having been bed ridden for 4 weeks and loosing 2 stone.

Better was relative though. It took me about 3 weeks before I could walk at more than snails pace, or go up stairs.

For about about 1 year after the slightest cold in anyone else, I would be floored and ill for days.

The only thing that worked for me was sleep and more sleep, and being patient and realistic with what I could do exercise wise

After about 6 months I was back doing light exercise, a bit of turbo and slow jogs. Noting hard. But then I would more often than not get ill after.

Even now I am not looking forward to winter as I appear to be more susceptible to bad colds in the winter.

My advise would be take it very slow, dont rush back to exercise give your lungs chance to fully recover.

I assume your will be called for a follow up chest Xray too ?

However 99% of the time I am nearly as fit as I ever was, but it just feels harder to get fitter and I am not sure if that is the result of Pneumonia or getting older 😆

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Yonks ago, and before I was back into riding I had pneumonia. It took some weeks to recover, and I had to stage a gentle return to hillwalking. All I can say is take it easy, be aware of your limits and look for small improvements.

palmer77
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I went out on the road bike for an easy pace 25 miles at the end of July but that was the last spin out. I’d managed a bit of surfing (falling off mostly) in Cornwall, but was sleeping loads due to camping. A week and a bit back now and feeling really lethargic. Back to work properly today and out of breath carrying a bit of computer equipment up two flights of stairs! I had asked about exercise the last time I saw my GP two weeks ago and he suggested much the same as above, yes but don’t overdo it. So I was thinking of exercises that would keep my heart/breathing down but still allowing me to get out. Doing nothing is really frustrating as I don’t want to pile on the pounds etc. I’ve not had the CT results yet, but don’t think it’ll be anything else, I’m not a smoker and am reasonably fit for 37.

ski
    Free Member

Took me six months to get back on a bike (sad but true) started walking just to get outdoors again.

I would say take it easy, even when you start to feel better, I had 3 cources of antibiotics (never had them before) and they messed me up pretty bad I think, a year latter after suffering from IBS I was diagnosed with Colitus, which I am sure is related to the antibiotics in some way?

I am back on my bike, but now take more care when colds appear

Good luck

palmer77
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I think hill walking may be a good call 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Pneumonia recovery, any tips?’ is closed to new replies.