Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Plasterboard fixings for apparently dodgy plasterboard?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What is the best thing to use to hang a coat hook rack thing on the wall, where the plasterboard is of dubious quality and the batons behind it aren’t nearby? Have tried those self drill things, but the ripped straight out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Use the plasterboard fixings to fix a large piece of wood to the wall then screw hooks into that – spreads the load better

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

The hooks are already attached to a bit of wood.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thegreatape
    Free Member

As you are then, but use decent metal plasterboard fixings, and lean into them while you’re screwing them in.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Spring toggles?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

see if you can get a small pack of these at your nearest hardware shop

z1ppy

I’ve used spring toggle but you have to make a good old hole to get the thing into the all in the first place (EDIT: or did we just bash em through the plaster, I forget), hollow wall anchors might be a better alternative.
    Not used either on ‘dodgy’ plaster board though.

If at all possible, use a bigger bit of wood to get decent anchor on the battons and then attach you coat rack ontop of that…
    Dunno about your household but our coat rack(s) are well over subscribed.

EDIT: Tried some of those Stoner posted, and thought em rubbish, but thats only my opinion.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Stoner – those are what I’ve been using.

Trail_rat – best not go down that route….

Murray

Best thing is . Expensive but they take a big load.

Stoner
    Free Member

fairy muff.

Is the plasterboard crumbling and not supporting the bolt, or is the anchor pulling through?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Stoner – a bit of both.

scotsman
    Free Member

Edit, no more nails

Stoner
    Free Member

How about just a liberal dose of no-more nails on the back of the mounting board? 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

hah! scotsman beat me to it.
    although Id recommend this stuff:
    v

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Made me laugh.

ski
    Free Member

see if you can get a small pack of these at your nearest hardware shop

If you need a half a dozen of what Stoner suggests I have a box load here & can spare you a few.

Save you buying a 100 😉

unovolo
    Free Member

Is it a hollow stud or a external wall,if it’s the latter then you could you frame fixings the same as what are used for fitting Upvc doors and windows.
    They are long screws with a long rawl plug type fitting approx 120mm ,these should be long enough to reach into any block work behind.

The self drilling fittings and spring toggles are normall designed for holding lightweight stuff ,however if your fully loaded coatrack weighs anything like mine does then I’m not surprised they have pulled out.

Another option is to cut a slot into the plasterboard (which you will have to make good after) to slide a wooden batten in behind the plasterboard which you can then screw through the front of the plasterboard to hold in place.
    Once located you can decorate back over exposed screw heads & access hole before then fitting your coat rack using long screws to reach through to the newly installed and hidden batten.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

unovolo – sounds like the nuclear option, but i might give it a go if all else fails.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Seems sorted now. One 4″ nail into a joist, and one of those self drilling things at the other end. See how long that lasts. Finesse and me do not get along.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Plasterboard fixings for apparently dodgy plasterboard?’ is closed to new replies.