• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • Jamie
    Free Member

First off, anyone got one? As I am struggling, with the exception of the road.cc review, to find any real world reports. Are they basically a commuter machine, or can they be used for a do it all bike. Where the all is 40-50mile on/off road rides, with different percentages of on and off, depending on my mood.

Also, I have been looking at the Arkose 3, and figured I would be needing a small framed version, at 5’7 with a 30ish inside leg, but there appears to be conflicting geo info out there.

The one on Evans’ website says this:

….but the the one on Pinnacle’s own website is different:

Which one should I go off?

RustySpanner

There’s a very good review here, btw:
    road.cc Arkose 3 review.

I really like the Pinnacle – seems excellent vfm.

The Genesis Croix De Fer has been updated for next year with the rear brake in the right place at last, and the new Surly Straggler looks nice, apart from the disc placement:

Great colour. 🙂

Don’t forget the Disc Trucker too – think you’d be looking at the 26 inch version and they’re not the lightest bikes.

jameso

Ignore the Evans site, sorry, some glitch there. The pinnacle site is correct, but CS is 425mm not 440mm. Must improve the sheet that creates that.. deffo an off road fun bike, wouldn’t have it any other way. Group test win in cycling plus a while back, pm me if you want a copy mailed over.

pingu66
    Free Member

I have one and its fine, I do have an issue with the headset working loose that I need to get Evans to look at but as for the ride etc its all good. I know a headset working loose is not a great advert but its probably a one off that they will sort out when I get around to getting there.

I worked on the premise that its a great spec for the money and doing a frame swap if I fancied something more glamorous and funds allowed would be easy enough but can’t fault it.

Jamie
    Free Member

What sort of rides do you use it for, Pingu?

Jamie
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, James. Sent you an email.

brokensoul
    Free Member

I’ve got one.
    I did a 47 mile off/on road ride on it last week, probably 75% off road (bridleways, towpaths etc).
    I’m old, fat and unfit, so you’ll be fine.

stumpy120
    Free Member

I have one in small and I’m 5’5″.

Although its the only CX bike I’ve ever ridden it seems great. I’ve used it for everything from off road epics (great glen way in a day) to scouting the local area for new trails to 100 mile plus road rides. Bike has always been fine so far and pretty comfortable.

I’d definitely recommend one.

sv

I have had one for a year now, great bike. It works surprisingly well on a lot of XC stuff I ride normally on a hardtail and I find it great on the road too (with road tyres). Also sees use with a rack/kiddies seat.

Mine did suffer from stem slippage on the carbon steerer tube. After a good bit of roughing up it hasnt moved.

Jamie
    Free Member

Mine did suffer from stem slippage on the carbon steerer tube. After a good bit of roughing up it hasnt moved.

I do have an issue with the headset working loose that I need to get Evans to look at but as for the ride etc its all good

Any word on this, jameso?

Thanks for all the replies, people. Choice is between this and an XLS, so far. All extra info is very helpful in making a decision.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I had a look at one at the weekend. Not bad at all but oh so dull. yet another of their range is a lovely bright orange.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I’m looking at similar kit. How about the new Giant TCX SLR2?
    Tall, the Whyte Saxon cross is better speced but only 56cm or above TT’s.T the same price there are Ridley X Bow discs or Merida’s but they are not pretty. Then again some people like dull bikes.

Jamie
    Free Member

Then again some people like dull bikes.

There is dull, and then there is understated.

sv

Jamie the stem thing wasn’t really an issue. It was being used over particularly rough ground (I’m not a great line choice rider!) and I didnt want to go too tight with the steerer bolts on the carbon steerer. Bit of coarse sand paper gave the stem a good key to grip. Also loves gravel paths and just keep changing up the gears and it keeps acclerating.

jameso

Any word on this, jameso?

I think sv has it, often neither stem bung or stems are done up very tight on carbon steerers from caution. I’ve ‘tested’ a few stems and bungs on forks like that and you can do them up pretty tight, it’s only sharp edges or burrs etc that cause problems. Carbon paste may be better than sandpaper, dunno, not tried either..

pingu66
    Free Member

Hmm might ruff up the steerer but mine is worse after I have ridden over rough ground.

As soon as I tried it it felt nice so I took it and although it may look dull/understated its a pretty good bike. With the 35mm tyres its tracks and towpaths, currently got 28s on it and ride it on the road. Not as fast as a road bike I guess, it maybe my lardy arse as well but can ride all day on it.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think sv has it, often neither stem bung or stems are done up very tight on carbon steerers from caution

Would one of these be the ticket to getting things nicely, and safely, tight?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ritchey-torque-key-with-interchangeable-bits/

…assuming the stem is 5nM.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m looking at similar kit. How about the new Giant TCX SLR2?

Not out till the end of the month, and while it has a very good spec, I’m not sure about the 15mm wheels. Would mean keeping stock, as my Kinesis CDx wouldn’t be compatible.

….it does look nice with the internal cable routing, though.

cloudnine
    Free Member

The frames are half price at Evans….

iainc

This is on my shopping list now 🙂

iainc

Anyone else got one ? Opinions ? Thanks

dthom3uk

I’ve got one. It’s a more than capable bike. I’ve used it for commuting and big days out in the Pennines. I’ve not encountered any problems in the eight months or so I have had it.

RustySpanner

And does anyone know how it’s changed for 2014?

iainc

. Jameso will know 🙂

iainc

Rusty – the one linked in the other thread is 2014 on Evans site and stock due Nov

MoreCashThanDash

Got one back in April – awesome bike, love it to bits. Spoilt somewhat by the mudguards and pannier rack that live on it, but it wasn’t bought to be raced.

Commutes just fine on the Small Block 8 tyres – bit draggy on road climbs but not too bad, and I’ve put fat slicks on occasionally for wet weather road rides. Very competent on towpath surfaces which is most of my commute.

More comfortable to ride than I expected tbh. Think the longest ride I’ve done on it was 65 miles – maybe 1/3 of that was off road on the High Peak and Tissington trails. The 30 tooth cog at the back came in useful riding from the ford up to Tissington village…..

Being finicky I’d have preferred a slightly wider set of bars, I just never use the crosstop brakes, and they’ll be going as soon as I can be bothered to put some more comfy bar tape on, but I’ve lasted this long in stock set up so it clearly isn’t a huge issue for me.

Size wise, I’m 5’9″ and a little bit, and got a Medium 52cm frame, which fits fine – the sticker on the frame does show it as being intended for people up to 5’9″. If you are near Nottingham /Derby and want to try one for size my email is in my profile, but the staff in the Nottingham Evans were pretty good at sizing me up, if you can get into one of their stores (I know they vary!) they will get one in for you to try.

Edit:Think the cheap frames are non-disc version?

Jamie
    Free Member

2014 bike is not that different, gets BB7 SLs for the same RRP.

…that’s from Mr Olsen when I asked the same thing.

RustySpanner

Thanks folks.

oomidamon

Sorry for the thread resurrection but I’m just thinking of getting a CX bike for around £1000 and this is on the list. Any updates or fresh reviews would be appreciated. The Arkose 2 looks great in green but I’m not sure about bar end shifters.

The others on my list are a Cannondale CAADX, Boardman or Planet X. My basic requirements are for an on/off road commuter bike and something to fill the gap between mountain and road bikes. Ideally I want disc brakes and 105 gears/shifters. Mudguards would be good and I don’t want it to weigh as much as a car.

Jamie
    Free Member

I went for a Croix De Fer and could reco…

….and I don’t want it to weigh as much as a car.

Ah…ok, as you were.

ska-49
    Free Member

I’ve got one!
    When I first received it, there were issues with the setup- gears not indexed properly and cables not routed correctly, there were also scratches on the rims and handlebars. Evans didn’t offer me anything apart from getting the gears and cable routing sorted.

Anyway, the bike itself is fantastic. I’ve never had a CX bike but I’ve had a race HT and various road bikes. I would say that it’s a brilliant road bike- little draggy with the stock tyres but great clearance for guards, plus lots of rack options. Feels much better than my winter road bike (which it replaced). Happily done 50+ miles in a day.

Discs took a while to bed in but are lovely in winter- quieter than rim brakes and more consistent/reliable. Full carbon fork feels very stiff compared to others I’ve had in the past.

Not given it proper abuse offroad yet but seems to do the trick on footpaths, etc. I can’t wait for summer!

Should add, when I bought it I got £140 worth of free kit- so got shoes, shorts, top and other bits.

It feels like the wheels may be fairly weighty, potential for future upgrade there but the rest of the kit is lovely. Still not convinced by the frog leg brake leavers, they may have to go. Best value CX bike out there in my opinion.

Edit: I’m 5’8” with the same inseam and find the 54cm size perfect with 10mm spacers below the stem and about 12-17cm of post showing.

akira

Oomidamon, did you h give the arkose two is ten speed with single ring on the front to allow for hydraulic discs, is a bit unusual but looks great in the flesh. I used to use bar end shifters and never really found an issue with them. Arkose three is nine hundred at the moment if you would rather have stis and cake discs.

RustySpanner

Jamie – Member

I went for a Croix De Fer and could reco…

….and I don’t want it to weigh as much as a car.

Ah…ok, as you were.

Go on then – what’s it like?
    Give us the full review treatment – we need pictures with your best Doddyface as you nail a slightly muddy left hander.

How does it deal with hexagonally shaped hits?
    Any signs of trail resurrection?
    Have you bought any 1930’s style handlebars as a misguided attempt at individuality?
    On a scale of one to real, how real IS steel?
    Have the disk brakes caused any penile shrinkage?

Enquiring minds demand the troof.
    GET ON WITH IT!

oomidamon

Akira – hadn’t spotted that it was a single ringer, cheers. I think I was drawn in by the colour…

Jamie
    Free Member

Akira – hadn’t spotted that it was a single ringer, cheers. I think I was drawn in by the colour…

If the Arkose 3 had been available in that green, I probably would have gone for one.

….as shallow as that sounds.

oomidamon

Jamie – If I could get a green 3 I’d have one.

oomidamon

Damn, the 2014 Arkose 3 is only Sora.

iainc

2014 Arkose 3 is Tiagra and 105 mainly

Frame:Pinnacle 6061-T6 double butted aluminium alloy
    Fork:Full carbon, tapered steerer
    Front Derailleur:Shimano Tiagra
    Rear Derailleur:Shimano 105 RD-5600-SS
    Number of Gears:20
    Shifters:Shimano 105 ST-5600
    Chainset:FSA Omega compact
    Chainrings:50/34T
    Bottom Bracket:FSA external
    Cassette:Shimano CS-HG62-10 12-28T
    Chain:KMC nickel finish
    Pedals:Not Supplied
    Brakeset:Avid BB7-SL cable disc
    Brake Levers:Shimano 105 ST-5603
    Handlebars:Pinnacle DB Aluminium shallow-drop bar, 125mm drop, 70mm reach, 440mm width
    Stem:Pinnacle SL Road Ahead stem, 110mm
    Headset:FSA Orbit C-40-ACB (NO.42/ACB) – integrated sealed cartridge bearing – 1-1/8 ACB top, 1.5″ ACB lower (for 46/56mm Head Tubes ), W/15mm top cover
    Grips:Shock-proof dual-density microfibre tape
    Rims:Alex Black Dragon 32H
    Front Hub:Joytech
    Rear Hub:Joytech
    Spokes:Stainless PG
    Front Tyre:Kenda Small Block 8 35C
    Rear Tyre:Kenda Small Block 8 35C
    Tubes:Butyl
    Saddle:FWE Race men’s, black
    Seatpost:Pinnacle Aluminium
    Seat Binder:Single-bolt clamp
    Weight:Not Specified

Jamie
    Free Member

Damn, the 2014 Arkose 3 is only Sora.

Naaaaah.

Edit: Wot Ian said.

oomidamon

You’re right, I got my 1 and 3 mixed up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.