Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Ooops. Expensive mistake. Pay up or argue to the death?
  • theocb
    Free Member

Oh No. The wife has driven off with the LPG fuel hose still connected to the car!

Just got a phone call from the garage and the bill is going to be near £300.

There is a safety coupling that should release in the event of an unintentional driveaway but the coupling has been damaged upon release.

Is it the garages responsibility to pay for the safety coupling or is it down to wifey?

Is it reasonable to suggest that all the wife has done is operate the safety switch for what it was intended? :0) In fact she saved the entire community from certain death so perhaps a medal should be forthcoming not a bill!

footflaps

Pay up or claim on insurance.

BigJohn

Don’t argue to the death but a quick response stating that a) they have a malfunctioning release, and b) it’s their choice to have self-service pumps instead of an attendant for the more technical LPG dispenser would be appropriate.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ask for an itemised bill

my buddy got a similarly large quote when he did the same at a shell petrol pump in dundee being a donk

reality they were chancing it and the bill was 50 quid in the end.

not saying they are chancing it but does no harm to ask – margins are that low i wouldnt put it past them to chance it.

globalti
    Free Member

Pay up, definitely. Then say nothing about it, appear to forgive, smile enigmatically and store it away in your memory banks for the next time you do something silly in the car.

maccruiskeen

they have a malfunctioning release

It doesn’t seem improbable that a coupling could be designed to break safely in a drive away, rather than to simply survive a drive away, there wasn’t a resulting gas leak and explosion so the safety coupling functioned perfectly in that respect.

portlyone

Tell them you work for Top Gear and you’ll be using them in the show. If they still want to bill you they can invoice Jezza

allthepies
    Free Member

Is she new to the whole fueling up cars thing ? 😯

and wot maccruiskeen said, I’d imagine the coupling is a safety, stop the pump station exploding thing rather than a driver aid 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

You’ll be docking the cost, plus interest, from her housekeeping money I expect.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

The safety coupling is a sacrificial part. It will need to be replaced as they are not to be re assembled once broken. This will be a chargeable job for the garage to have to pay for a qualified LPG service engineer to come out to replace the part.
    Seems fair that your wife should foot the bill.
    If you want an independent quote call ‘Cameron Forecourt’ in Barnsley. They do this type of repair work a lot.

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

I really hope you’re joking.

In fact, phone ‘Injuries 4 U’ lawyers and tell them that the sign reminding your missus to remove the nozzel before driving off was too small, or obscured by birdshit.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Your wife broke something due to her own ineptitude and you’re looking to dodge the payback?
    Perhaps the coupling is a sacrificial one, so that it fails in a safe manner, but is unuseable again to prevent reuse of a weakend safety critical component?

scotroutes

What about lost income while that pump is out of use?

theocb
    Free Member

The safety switch is there for exactly that purpose. She hasn’t broke anything she has used it as intended. She saved the world my friend! I’m proud of her..

It’s not my business how their safety switch works.
    *frantically searches for claim lawyers*

Cougar

What about lost income while that pump is out of use?

Probably about two pounds fifty, if the number of times I’ve seen an LPG pump in use is anything to go by.

Cougar

The safety switch is there for exactly that purpose. She hasn’t broke anything she has used it as intended. She saved the world my friend! I’m proud of her..

Send them an invoice for her time as a disaster recovery tester.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Oh No. The wife has driven off with the LPG fuel hose still connected to the car!

Oh dear… 😐

wordnumb
    Free Member

Worth asking the garage to throw in a copy of the cctv footage for next time you need to justify buying something new for the bike.

Otherwise I agree with trail rat, ask for an itemized bill.

Rorschach
    Free Member

A small price to pay for wielding the moral high ground over the wife.

mtbfix

Like your school teacher used to say, ‘the answer is in the question’: Oops. Mistake. Pay up.

hels
    Free Member

Where does one get this Numpty Insurance of which you speak ?

Sounds dead handy that.

DezB
    Free Member

Do you remember the petrol stations where you had to wait for the little man in overalls to come round and fill your car?
    Shame they ever went away eh?

mudshark
    Free Member

Make her pay it off – car washing maybe?

higgo
    Free Member

Get itemised bill.
    Pay it promptly.
    Buy shiny bike bikes to the same value.

boblo
    Free Member

Accidental damage by SWMBO. Pay up, that is what insurance is for.

Cletus

Under £300 does not seem to bad if they have to get a service guy out to fix it.

Is the garage near to where you live and, if so, are there alternative LPG garages available locally? – if not then you do not want to get banned from using this one through arguing over something that is clearly your wife’s fault.

Sandwich

That’s your “access all areas” bedroom pass sorted for the next month! 😈

theocb
    Free Member

Come on people where are the wannabe lawyers this arvo??
    Won’t pay.. won’t pay.. won’t pay
    Will probably pay up 😥

The safety switch is there for exactly this type of incident. It is expected to happen which is why it is there therefore the company have to take responsibility for their own procedures. They can claim on their insurance if they want. Wifey has done what was expected and the safety system now needs replacing. Isn’t that the companies responsibility unless they pre warned me that any use of the safety system could result in a charge.
    If the coupling hadn’t released and the wife had died in a horrendous catastrophe then I would be suing the garage for a faulty system.. So they use a safety system to cover their backsides and make a profit by selling a dangerous fuel. The cost of using that safety system is the odd replaceable coupling.

Your Honour. Not Guilty I tell ye.

ocrider

Where does one get this Numpty Insurance of which you speak

From Darwin Insurance. Kind of like Churchill, but instead of the nodding dog there’s an ape woefully shaking it’s head. 😆

Pay up, man!

rocketman
    Free Member

The wife has driven off with the LPG fuel hose still connected to the car!

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Sorry

deadslow

Can believe no-one has posted any pictures of similar incidents…..Shake head

joemarshall
    Free Member

The safety switch is there for exactly this type of incident. It is expected to happen which is why it is there therefore the company have to take responsibility for their own procedures. They can claim on their insurance if they want. Wifey has done what was expected and the safety system now needs replacing. Isn’t that the companies responsibility unless they pre warned me that any use of the safety system could result in a charge.

Brilliant. I shall use that logic when I do something stupid and crash into your car and set the airbags off. Airbags are for exactly that type of incident, so by having them, you immediately take all responsibility for any crashes into your car.

Seriously though – your wife did something that risked blowing up a petrol station (or whatever bad thing happens without one of these), and you are saying she shouldn’t be responsible for it, because their safety procedures have stopped her getting blown up?

binners

Stupidity tax, innit?

We’ve all encountered it, and had to cough up at some point. But this is a particularly outstanding example. Personally I’d be too embarrassed to make a fuss.

If anyone tried to make that kind of claim against me then I’d be straight onto the Daily Mail with a great ‘look what this idiot is trying to claim against me for? The worlds gone mad. We’re all going to hell in a handcart’ stories

Just sayin’

tomd
    Free Member

Your logic is pretty twisted.

The breakaway in the hose is there to reduce the (very real) risk of your wife being consumed by a fireball should she fail to follow the procedure for filling the car with LPG (which no doubt was written on the pump.

By your logic, if someone drove through a level crossing on a red light, smashing the barrier to smitherenes Network Rail would have to pay to have it repaired because it exists for that purpose? Pfft

nealglover
    Free Member

The airbag example is a good one actually.

People choose to have them, as a safety feature.

So if You drive into them, and they go off. Your saying that you think you should only be paying for the bumper but not replacement of the air bags because it was their choice to have them, and they did their job. But if they want to replace them its their choice.

Doesn’t really work does it ?

Pay up I’m afraid.

Doh1Nut

Be prepared for the itemized bill to add up to £400 😀

stumpy01

+1 for pay up, but only if they give you a copy of the cctv. Send it off to You’ve Been Framed and that is almost all your money back there. Plus you get to play it at every opportunity.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d go for “twisted logic syndrome” too.

She made an error of judgement and caused damage.

Get an itemised bill by all means then pay up.

Bit more embarrassing to find the pump hose still attached to your car sitting on your driveway, but I guess she was ok with dislodging the hose there and then, shame she didn’t do it far earlier in her journey.

Sill y question OP, you knew the answer before you posted.

Lifer
    Free Member

Can’t see how you can do anything other than pay for the damage caused by your wife’s dangerous negligence.

wink

wwaswas

I she also being prosecuted for driving without due care and attention?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Ooops. Expensive mistake. Pay up or argue to the death?’ is closed to new replies.