Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 149 total)
  • A new dawn (DIY brake mount and CARBON CATACLYSM content)
  • yossarian
    Free Member

Can’t you go out for a ride now?

oldnick

Love this thread. As has been pointed out there will be no compressive forces, plenty of others mind 😉 And no chance of the fork lifting off the axle under braking 🙂

I suggest use of superstar pads as when they catch fire (an inevitable consequence of the friction material parting from the backplate) the carbon wrap will fully cure.

Lastly I suggest running the brake cable nice and short, then whenif the bracket fails the tension on the wire will self-servo the calliper on, and you will have created a fail-safe system.

greeble
    Free Member

I hand it to you for try but you’re a **** idiot

leffeboy

Awesome as always.

I was very confused by the direction arrow on your disk but I guess you just flip it round when you are ready to roll. Do we get video of the first run? Any suggestions for where it should be attempted?

juan
    Free Member

****ALERT ALERT****
    XX CHROMOSOMES DETECTED
    ****ALERT ALERT****

Genuine LOL 😆 😆

andyl
    Free Member

and don’t forget, cable ties will work nicely in tension for when it fails 😀

Galvanic effect – yup I had wondered if I should mention that, but kind of wondered if it would ever make it to that point in it’s life. Best to wrap some glass fibre and epoxy round the aluminium bit first. Actually, I would have wrapped the adapter and the fork leg first and then joined them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

leffeboy I don’t believe in disc directions! (I’ve yet to see a convincing explanation). It won’t flip round either as its centrelock.

Vid will be ootside my pad when if it stops raining, I may even do ssstu a kerb-hop.

Galvanic effect? Given the epoxy and anodising and the fact that it’s effectively sealed, is that likely?

chief9000
    Free Member

“Galvanic effect? Given the epoxy and anodising and the fact that it’s effectively sealed, is that likely?”

I wouldn’t worry about that if I were you given the expected life span. Just cross it of the list of things to worry about, or list under trivial.

How much do you weigh out of interest and how many plies of fibre did you slap on there?

cynic-al
    Free Member

80kg and 7 layers around it.

I can work out what type of CF it is for you and you can tell me when it will break yes?

porter_jamie

This thread is full of win

IA

I can work out what type of CF it is for you and you can tell me when it will break yes?

I enjoy this “make it first then worry about if it might work” approach 🙂

Slogo
    Free Member

greeble – Member
    I hand it to you for try but you’re a **** idiot

Hahahaha

Please, please, please video this!

I could do with a laugh.

avdave2

Meanwhile in Edinburgh a middle aged tandemer is foaming at the mouth, turning purple and screaming as he takes a hammer to his computer.

Come on al this isn’t real your just trying to smoke him out and make him reveal his new identity

chief9000
    Free Member

7 layers eh? what made you think of 7?

What was that about composites having to have a balanced and symmetrical layup?

Anyway, It looks woven, are all the layers woven? are all of the layers in the same orientation? Any idea what the weight of the reinforcement is ? g/m2 ?

chief9000
    Free Member

Just out of interest you don’t work for Boeing do you?

cynic-al
    Free Member

7 layers was 3 width-long strips of the roll of CF I have. Yes it’s all woven, all wrapped in the same way. I can’t find the weight though.

Slogo – what if it works?

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Al, for your test ride, if you can, mount a GoPro on the other fork leg pointing across at the caliper!
    How long has it been curing for and whats the weather like where you are? (trying to work out when you might venture out)

cynic-al
    Free Member

A few hours on top of the radiator. I could prob tape a cam to the fork, good idea. It will be a still though, of course.

Been wet today but looking good for tomorrow. I want to finish it cosmetically before fitting it up though, and I may decide my ensuite bathroom install needs my time tomorrow.

Slogo
    Free Member

I hope it does work. BUT if it doesn’t, at least YBF will give you £250 towards fixing your face!

aracer
    Free Member

Why “far better”?

Because it’s a lot easier to get the required strength. There’s a good reason why disc mounts are normally in the place they are.

andyl
    Free Member

Because it’s a lot easier to get the required strength. There’s a good reason why disc mounts are normally in the place they are.

1. They should be on the same side front and rear. Can’t go on the drive side on the rear so must go on the non-drive side.

2. Now they are on the non-drive side they can go on the front or the back of the fork. If they go on the front they are exposed to getting knocks and rain etc etc. Also the manufacturers would have to make a different caliper with the hose outlet on the other end as the caliper would need to be fitted upside down.

I know there are reasons in a properly manufactured part that is properly designed to put a brake caliper where it is BUT engineering decisions do sometimes get based on seemingly trivial things that are not-engineering based.

(just saying, not arguing)

toys19
    Free Member

They should be on the same side front and rear.

qqqque?

bm0p700f
    Free Member

This very Blue Peter. I hope it works well enough and for long enough for you to avoid a trip to A&E.

SJS cycles are selling carbon disc forks for road bikes at the moment for not alot. These are not cross forks either. Any failures you get will not be due to galvanic corrosion.

It could work though. I suppose you are going to find out! That win.

andyl
    Free Member

@toys: reciprocity of course. Helps with things like centre lock brake discs etc. If you don’t make something reciprocal when you had the chance you will normally regret it some time later. (quite impressed with my actually finding the right word considering I am a bit drunk)

boblo
    Free Member

Did he survive the test drive?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Been doing other things today. May do it tomorrow.

leffeboy

Video now please. I ordered a Saturday delivery 🙂

Edit: beaten to it by the Al

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Can someone explain reciprocity in simple terms and why it dictates discs on same side?

I reckon there’s a market for someone to run an ‘engineering for frame designers’ course.

boblo
    Free Member

Or ‘Engineering for carbon cutlery fetishists’ 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Reciprocity is basically give/take. No idea why andyl thinks it relates to this topic, maybe he was thinking of “consistency”.

aracer – Member

Can you explain why? (I’m sure you don’t fall into the “because I know about this stuff” camp)

richmars

C-Al,
    Looking good, but next time just make a whole frame, it’s easier than sticking bits to something else!

brakes
    Free Member

Been doing other things today. May do it tomorrow.

I.
    Reaaaaally.
    Can’t.
    Wai…. zzzzZZZZZZZZ

toys19
    Free Member

Reciprocity in engineering terms is about using the reciprocal principle go effect balance to prevent vibration issues. In theory I think Andyl has a point, but I dunno if the effects in practice on a bike are significant.
    It onlyworks in linear systems, and I’m not even sure a bike is a linear system.

In a inear system if you input a varying displacement at one point and measure the vibration response at another point, the response is the same if you reverse the input and measurement points. So if you displace the rear brake disc, and measure the vibration at the front brake disc, then inpjt the same displacement at the front brake disc and measure the vibration at the rear, themeasurements will be the same. Think of it like the associative rule in maths (which it is actually an example of) a *b=1 and b*a =1.

So potentially by having the brakes on the same side then the vibrati8ns could cancel eachother. I’mnot convinceda bike is a linear system, I also think the chances of the brake input at both ends being equal at any time during a ride are so low that it probably makes no difference. Good practice to think like this though, and chapaeu to andyl for raising it.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Plus toys19 the two are already out of line when on the same side as front and rear hub dimensions and dropout spacing varies. ARen’t they? So would Moving it less than 100mm further across be significant?

toys19
    Free Member

Ctznsmth, I agree.

Blimmin phone keyboard..

martinxyz
    Free Member

Just having a think. The forces on the spacer will be acting in the direction of the blue line. This means the top will be in tension and the bottom will be in comprssion.

Do you believe the top and bottom are under tension, Al?

cynic-al
    Free Member

What do you think Martin?

ontor
    Free Member

So potentially by having the brakes on the same side then the vibrati8ns could cancel eachother. I’mnot convinceda bike is a linear system, I also think the chances of the brake input at both ends being equal at any time during a ride are so low that it probably makes no difference. Good practice to think like this though, and chapaeu to andyl for raising it.

/pedant
    Alternatively, in a complex situation you may have resonant effects and create all sorts of adverse goings on.

the primary reason for having discs on one side is that that is what we have & the mass market don’t like to be challenged with differences. I don’t believe that there is any significant difference, especially for a post-mount.

iain1775
    Free Member

and I may decide my ensuite bathroom install needs my time tomorrow.

Cutlery again? I hope it’s a soup spoon your planning on shitting in

toys19
    Free Member

[pedant] the whole conversation about reciprocity, vibration and the question of linearity or not is all about natural frequencies, resonance and the complexity of the system. But you knew that right? [/pedant]

It would not surprise me if some other market force was the driver behind disc placement, but your point about “that is what we already have” makes no reference to the first decision to make disc placment, this is what andyl is considering in his point about reciprocity.
    In reality the first discplacement may have been purely down to aesthetics (which is what I suspect), but then how do we know, there is no evidence that bike designers are rational at all.

Either way andl’s point about it is valid and interesting.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘A new dawn (DIY brake mount and CARBON CATACLYSM content)’ is closed to new replies.