Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • On One carbon raised stay +tyre prototype
  • brianp
    Free Member

Anyone look over this interesting prototype at the show.

Bregante

Now where have we seen that before…

wiggles
    Free Member

Massive stache rip-off

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    snaps
    Free Member

Similar?
    Apart from the cockslot.

Bregante

cockslot

Is that not just a reflective sticker on the top tube?

snaps
    Free Member

I think you’re right – phone screen not that good to view on, and I was going to trademark cockslot.

matt_outandabout

I bet it is a gopping colour and iffy graphics, delivered 6months after promised, with no spare mech hangers available and half the price at launch…..

It does look somewhat similar in many ways….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So they’re prototyping something that someone else has already built?

Groundbreaking.

relliott6879
    Free Member

Am I the only one who saw this

and instantly thought of this?

🙂

eddie11
    Free Member

nope. not the only one.

relliott6879
    Free Member

Phew, I was feeling a bit old!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Having just bought a Trek Stache, I’m looking at that and thinking a few things:

A) It’s a Stache rip-off
    B) Given the above, have they really got the hang of what the Stache is and how that’s achieved?

The Stache, like its distant Alpinestars grandparent, has a super short back end. That’s part of what the raised stay is about and partly enabled by the Boost 148 rear end. In short, it’s designed as a package to work together.
    The back end on the On One looks too long to me. The Stache is a super short and lively plaything. It not a traditional 29er in any way I recognise….. Is like the Mk1 Stache, a hardcore hardtail if you like, great fun and hugely capable. I’m thinking OO might have missed the boat a bit….

singlespeedstu

It’s a Stache rip-off

Is the one of those bikes not 29+ and the other 650B+ though…

eddie11
    Free Member

that alpinestars is to avoid chainsuck. a whole frame engineered to avoid chainsuck but made weaker and heavier and flexier in the process. that’s all we had back then. simple times.

relliott6879
    Free Member

eddie11Member

that alpinestars is to avoid chainsuck. a whole frame engineered to avoid chainsuck but made weaker and heavier and flexier in the process. that’s all we had back then. simple times.

Let’s not forget the most important bit though, it looked cooler than a polar bear’s paw!*

*To a teenager in the early 90s

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

at alpinestars is to avoid chainsuck. a whole frame engineered to avoid chainsuck heavier

Incorrect. It was designed like that to shorten the back end. Raising the stays removes metal from between the rings and tyre to enable that. Shortening the back end was touted as a way of making a bike climb better.
    It also improves mud room

brianp
    Free Member

Perhaps they just bought one of these off ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171649410034

robdob
    Free Member

“Incorrect. It was designed like that to shorten the back end. Raising the stays removes metal from between the rings and tyre to enable that. Shortening the back end was touted as a way of making a bike climb better.
    It also improves mud room”

Too true – I rode an Alpinestars BITD and recently too, and also owned recently a Rocky Mountain Experience which had a similar design and they were the best climbing bikes I ever rode. Still kicking myself for selling the Rocky.

andyl
    Free Member

head tube junction is different. Possibly from the same supplier but then again maybe not as they are very quick and knocking up new tooling over in China.

The frame is similar but I would still think it has tweaks that are unique to their requests. There is a lot going on inside a carbon frame to make it how it is that is not visible from the outside.

Cheezpleez

I like the idea of a Stache in carbon at a good price but unfortunately I don’t think this is it. As others have said, the back end looks way longer. And of course it’s B+

mick_r

E-stay 29ers definitely allow very short back ends and almost any tyre you fancy. One I made earlier (that will actually adjust another 10mm shorter than this)……

thepodge
    Free Member

This thread is all about how short a back end should be while the Mojo / Nicolai thread is all about how long the back end should be.

STATO
    Free Member

This thread is all about how short a back end should be while the Mojo / Nicolai thread is all about how long the back end should be.

Quite different goals tho. Nicolai designed to work best when pointing 30degrees up or 30 degrees down and the moto of maximum speed at all costs, these are designed for fun through feel, not total speed.

mick_r

One dimension does not dictate how the bike rides – it is the whole package and how it relates to the rider size / rider position / application etc.

Unfortunately the polarised Mojo man forgets that different people use mtbs for different applications 🙂

brianp
    Free Member

Planet X have a write up of new Tomac bikes in the pipeline

http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/products/q/date/2015/09/25/what-s-new-and-coming-next-from-tomac

This very good looking Lone Mesa

and a gravel type thingy Montezuma

brianp
    Free Member

Oh, and this Venge copy

sq225917
    Free Member

mmm, 650+ testing this weekend, carbon or Hadza? I wonder which i’ll take.

spawnofyorkshire

@sq225917 – I’m more interested in the carbon – so that

sq225917
    Free Member

I’ll ask tomorrow, I need to throw a leg over something new.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There is a lot going on inside a carbon frame to make it how it is that is not visible from the outside.

Yeah. Lots. With these cheap ones it’s mainly bits of old newspaper and sweepings off the workshop floor…..

nemesis
    Free Member

Define cheap. There are plenty of ‘cheap’ (relatively) Chinese carbon frames that are well built and up to the job. There are no doubt others that aren’t and include the anecdotal newspaper, etc. Price doesn’t particularly seem to be the differentiator IME – it’s more that some brands are building a good reputation and having few issues (ie just like any non-China direct manufacturer) while others are dodgy. Fakes are a good way to identify the crap ones usually but equally stick to the known, cheap China direct brands (Miracle, Hong Fu, Deng Fu, carbonzone, etc) and you’ll be fine.

And it’s not like ‘proper’ bike companies never produce crap that fails.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Oh, and this Venge copy

I wonder if Cav would still choose ^^^that^^^ over the new Venge 😛

Northwind

thepodge – Member

I think both threads are about how different bikes should be different.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I wonder if Cav would still choose ^^^that^^^ over the new Venge

depends if they paid him enough

Define cheap. There are plenty of ‘cheap’ (relatively) Chinese carbon frames that are well built and up to the job

plenty of catalogue frames being badged up as other things as well, Planet-X are not the only ones to do this

steve_b77
    Free Member

Considering he’s signed for Qubeca he may well be riding a Cervelo

wwaswas

Sq456545 – that red fat/plus prototype with the twin seat stays only welded to the top tube not the seat tube – what happened to that? Any ride reports?

Stoner
    Free Member

View this post on Instagram

Coming this Friday #mtb #650plus

A post shared by On-One (@ononebikes) on

Incoming?

stumpy01

Let’s hope the seat tubes aren’t oval-shaped & dimensioned according to the “clown’s pocket” tolerancing standard!!

faustus

I know it’s just the angle of the photo but the nds crank looks mighty close to the chainstay. Does look interesting though…

matt_outandabout

Is it a prototype Mk1 from On-One? In which case I would avoid until we find out what problem there is with seatpost fit/no mech hangers/tyre or crank clearance first, and the price to drop by 93.7% when the prototype testers early customers all discover it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘On One carbon raised stay +tyre prototype’ is closed to new replies.