Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • On a day like this we need…. A what Woodburner thread….
  • Tiger6791

I need to buy a Woodburner, so recommendations please as I have no idea..

It’s going into a Holiday Rental, so I have a few requirements

Needs to be easy to use
    Look good
    Not mental money and serviceable
    Doesn’t need to heat the entire house.

Here’s a picture of where its going

Fireplace

Size of room

DrP

I like that house.

DrP

(CBA to answer the question…there’s like 8 what woodburner threads already!)

NewRetroTom
    Tiger6791

I like that house.

DrP

(CBA to answer the question…there’s like 8 what woodburner threads already!)

Ta! 🙂

There’s loads (did a search) but none seem to answer what I need for a rental.

DrP

Firstly, i would suggest you get one that is simple, easy, and cheap. i would n’t worry too much about its ability to heat the room ‘perfectly’ – it’s a rental house – people will only use it to look at and sh@g in front of.
    Think of the ones at centreparcs – that offers naff all heating actually, but looks nice.

Also, I’d probably suggest they only burn those pre formed artificial logs. Much easier, and less faff and spitting, especially for a holiday let. Sell them to the punter at £3 each or something.

A log burner is quite an ‘investment in time and effort’ TBH, and you don’t want the punter burning any old shite. – I think that’s the easiest way

DrP

Tiger6791

Yep, pretty much my thoughts, like that Morsø Badger but looks a bit ‘too’ good.

A log burner is quite an ‘investment in time and effort’ TBH, and you don’t want the punter burning any old shite. – I think that’s the easiest way

But they will and not a lot you can do to stop it

What do we think to AGA

http://www.firesonline.co.uk/acatalog/Aga_Much_Wenlock_Classic_Multi-fuel_Stove.html#aagamwc

Tiger6791

Errr, maybe…

Bit big?

Tiger6791

That Aarrow looks like a winner and ordered 😀

Cheers

Tiger6791

Arghgg it’s not right, installer says needs to be 5kw and 6″ flu although presume you can get an adapter

flatfish
    Free Member

Ours is 5 inch flue.
    Might be the ecoburn 5.
    I’d be surprised if you can’t get an adaptor though.

bearnecessities

installer says needs to be 5kw and 6″ flu

It doesn’t need to be 5kw, but maybe he was suggesting? That does look a big room for a 4kw.

You can get an 5″ – 6″ adapter and they’re common. Surprised he didn’t mention that. Is he a douche?

There are some actual experts on here though; hopefully they’ll pop along 🙂

EDIT: Why isn’t magnetodog selecting the stove? Surely he knows more than all of us.

alpin
    Free Member

Had a Bruno T12 fitted in the workshop today.
    Probably overkill for a cottage, mind…

Tiger6791

EDIT: Why isn’t magnetodog selecting the stove? Surely he knows more than all of us.

Not good with metal

granny_ring

I’d say a 4kw would be enough for that space, I’m mot an expert but it looks a similar or slightly larger space that we have.
    Have you looked at a Charnwood country 4? Love ours and it’s British!!
    Would do you nicely, think output is actually 4.8kw. The stove pipe outlet is 5″ and it connects to a 6″ adapter on the register plate.

alpin
    Free Member

Bruno T12….

it eats wood. hahahha! hot.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Attaching small pipe to bigger flue is fine and there’s adaptors as said above. Attaching a 6″pipe to a 5″ flue is what you shouldn’t do.
    Also over 5kw you should have an air brick to the room, maybe your room hasn’t and that’s why installer says 5kw or maybe he thinks bigger will be overkill (ceiling looks low-ish) or both.

Tiger6791

No air brick was what we said

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Hopefully have this in by Christmas..

Esse 350 MF

johndoh
    Free Member

I would also avoid a multi-fuel stove (like the Aarow above) as your customers need simplicity and that’s exactly what multi-fuel stoves don’t offer – they have at least two vents then often ‘riddlers’ to shake through the ash – get the set-up wrong and the glass will soon start to blacken and they also need much more cleaning (ie, removing ash). Much better with a single operation log burner (such as a Parkray Aspect) which is much easier to operate (ie, pull the bar to open vent to start the fire, push it back in as required to get the fire burning at the required temperature). And they require cleaning less as the new logs can sit on the bed of ash and that ash helps with the new fire too.

Tiger6791

Good point, but won’t be there to control what gets burnt so was thinking multi fuel is more robust due higher heat tolerance? (or have I made that up)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

You might want to cofirm exactly what your installer meant re the flue. It might be that he only meant he would be installing a 6″ flexi flue, he didn’t necessarily mean that you had to buy a stove with a 6″ outlet.
    Anyway, I personally think that in a bigger fireplace void, like yours looks, a chunkier looking 6″ stove pipe will look better. Cortura 51L are brilliant, sister has one, wood burner only, cast iron but fairly modern looking (would probably go with your modern furnishings and cottage ceiling), 5kw, 6″outlet, decent size firebox for a 5kw, works really well and gets good reviews. Truth is tho that you could have just about any 5kw that takes your fancy / price point / dimensions.

alexxx
    Free Member

Dartmoor W5 Baker is what I’m getting…. cooking pizza or boiling a kettle might be a nice upsell to your guests… its about £1k and is 5kw

johndoh
    Free Member

Almost all fires are 5kw (apart from very small ones). It’s a long boring explanation but they are.

won’t be there to control what gets burnt so was thinking multi fuel is more robust due higher heat tolerance

Well they aren’t going to burn anything other than logs (unless they bring their own coal which would be highly unlikely) and a log burner is perfectly capable of buring logs.

paulx
    Free Member

What do we think to AGA

http://www.firesonline.co.uk/acatalog/Aga_Much_Wenlock_Classic_Multi-fuel_Stove.html#aagamwc

I’ve got one in my home-office which is probably 12′ * 11′ with a high ceiling. Its more than plenty heat wise. Burns nicely and has a cool-touch handle which could be a consideration for your guests if they are not used to using a burner. Nice quality piece of kit.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

charnwood country 4, as said before. dead easy controls. 4kW but does well, get the wood only version. not massively expensive.

had one for 8 years. ace.

SiB
    Free Member

Granny_ring & supersessions9-2

Charnwood Country 4…….fitting a wood burner in next few weeks and the Country 4 is top of the list, I’m liking your praise

Did you have to buy the reduced smoke kit to comply with smoke free zone DEFRA approved? Unfortunately we live in a smoke free zone so need this kit if we want to play by the rules, just cant seem to find a cost for it…?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m under the impression that a kit for smokeless is little more than a nut and bolt and maybe a bit of bent metal with a hole in, basically a stopper to stop you from fully closing the primary air. I’m pretty sure the conversion was done for free on my stove.

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks B A Nana
    So its just to make it burn faster?
    Hopefully friend doing the installing has a few spare free nuts and bolts!

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

SiB – I thought it was defra approved as standard? not sure, i don’t think we are in a smokeless zone so never really thought about it. I tend to burn my stoves a bit hotter and faster anyway, keeps the glass nice and clean and warms the house more. 🙂

I’ve also got an esse 100 which is superb but is 5kw uses a 6″ flue and is more expensive, so doesn’t meet the OP’s requirements.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

So its just to make it burn faster?
    Hopefully friend doing the installing has a few spare free nuts and bolts!

No it’s a basic stopper to the primary air control to stop you from completely shutting the fire down so that some combustion is still happening.
    Re the kit, Don’t take my word for it with your specific stove, ask at the shop.

kilo

We’ve got a Charnwood 4 at our place in Ireland, great little bit of kit

timber

Had the Aga one in a house we used to rent, thought it was a bit rubbish.

There is a ton of choice at 5kW, your budget will determine how good it is and aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder.

In the vein of recommend what you have, we’ve got a Burley Hollywell. Was nearly a Dean Forge, but door hinged the wrong way. Looked at Esse too, but the firebox was smaller.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

SiB I’m a bit concerned that you might intend to have some botch job done with a stove to make it DEFRA approved. This should be completely unnecessary, just buy the right stove in the first place ie one that already comes with the mod which makes it DEFRA approved.
    In my case I bought an ex display Westfire off eBay much cheaper than retail. I emailed them to say I was in a smokeless area, they said no problem, what you bought doesn’t have the mod, but we’ll order the kit and install it for you before you collect.

granny_ring

@ SiB

Did you have to buy the reduced smoke kit to comply with smoke free zone DEFRA approved? Unfortunately we live in a smoke free zone so need this kit if we want to play by the rules, just cant seem to find a cost for it…?

No, ours is a multifuel. Only because it was in a shop clearance on Ebay 4 years ago.

tinribz
    Free Member

Another Contura 51L recommendation, dead simple lights every time. Defra approved, smokeless zone, 5kw, 6inch. Big window may look a bit contemporary for some.

Tiger6791

(Correct one)

Just in case anybody was losing sleep wondering what the outcome was….

… well we put an Aga in

bigblackshed

Tidy that. But you need to paint the flue pipe the same colour as the stove.

Just sayin’.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘On a day like this we need…. A what Woodburner thread….’ is closed to new replies.