Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • OK, so I've got an iPad…
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

What do I do with it?

Got one as part of a mobile bundle, hopefully using it for basic internet usage at home as I don’t have broadband coverage (it’s 3G). But what else shall I do with it?

Any must-have apps, freebies, e-books etc?

And what case is recommended? It’s the latest one…

Ta!

spacemonkey

What do I do with it?

Give it to a more worthy and understanding cause, aka me.

mu3266
    Free Member

Take it back and have words with yourself for supporting ‘The Man’

Shibboleth
    Free Member

OK, so slightly flippant question, I got it because it was no more expensive and I wanted something for mobile browsing at home…

Tis a thing of great beauty… 😀

unklehomered
    Free Member

You get on a train/bus/go to public place and sit where as many people can see you as possible and ostentatiously swipe at it in the hope of being noticed.

Find other Ipad owners and talk about your ipads…

#based purely on my limited observations on buses, trains and in coffee shops#

McHamish
    Free Member

Download pictures of enormous boobs and share them with fellow commuters.

deluded
    Free Member

Accessorize – buy a fancy case for it and charging dock.

portlyone

Take it to the Champions League final and video the players coming up for their medals… seriously, at what point does taking an Ipad to a football game seem like a good idea?

z1ppy

dunno about cases but these are not cheap, but very good.
    Reminds me, I must get some kind of anti-scratch wrap for the rear (m8 suggested a brand but I’ve forgotten it..)

Apps:
    iBooks
    ebay
    faceache
    Nat Geo today
    Draw free
    Angry birds (lots of free versions)
    All the TV (sky/bbc/itv/4OD) stuff is great, but may not be so useful to you if you only have 3G
    Bejewelled blitz is kinda adictive
    Aceplayer if you have a NAS/server setup
    Soduko Joy
    are a couple to get you going, though lots of website (autotrader,amazon,etc) have apps, which are good if you use them a lot anyway

though it maybe easier to pop round to a friends house with WifI to download the app’s inthe 1st place…

oh and take a moment to learn all the swipe actions, I no longer need to use the button 99% of the time

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Cheers Zippy, I have Wi-Fi in my office, so no problem downloading stuff. Are there any free ebook websites like there are for Kindle users?

GrahamS

What do I do with it?

(Assuming it is a “new iPad” aka iPad 3) then:

Get a Premier sub so you can read all the back issues of Singletrack on it.

Add “The Metro” to your newsstand so you have a free news paper to read each morning (consider adding The Times/Guardian/Independent/Big Jugs Monthly depending on your reading habits and budget).

If you like games then try Infinity Blade II, if only to see what it is capable of.

toby1

The kindle app is a joke – it seemed to purely be there for if you already had something downloaded, there was no option to obtain anything through it – I deleted it.

I mainly just use mine for the browser, could have been any old tablet really but the screen on the latest ipad sold it for me.

The facebook app is laggy and not 100% reliable, but not as bad as the aggregator Mypad which was just useless.

To be honest I’ve yet to be that impressed by any apps really.

jamesy01
    Free Member

The kindle app is a joke – it seemed to purely be there for if you already had something downloaded, there was no option to obtain anything through it – I deleted it

Bit of a funny one the kindle app. To get new books on it you have to buy them via Amazon via safari browser and not the Amazon App. You then choose for it to be downloaded to your ipad and away you go.

I guess Apple didn’t want Kindle to challenge its own ibooks so sought to make the process a bit more of a faf..

smudge
    Free Member

Flipboard 8) Must have app

plumber
    Free Member

Tell us what you enjoy and we’ll recommend apps

Obviously tube8 should be your first port of call

batfink
    Free Member

Radio soulwax app….. free electro

z1ppy

Are there any free ebook websites like there are for Kindle users?

I dunno TBH, new stuff is so easily available I haven’t looked (and am on an audiobook binge), but I believe the classic’s are freely available

hp_source

smudge – Member
    Flipboard Must have app

+1

It’s a great app!

Also recommend a camera/SD kit, I got one of Amazon for £6 rather than Apples £25 job…. it’s excellent for syncing photos, and you can plug a USB keyobard in to for any extended typing sessions!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

All very helpful!

Plumber, I like reading anything from fiction to news, the newspaper app will be one of the first on my list.

And obviously Tube8 ;o)

I’ll have a look through those links Z1ppy posted…

grum
    Free Member

Flipboard definitely. You can get the Guardian on trial for a month or so – not worth paying for IMO. TVCatchup, Sky Go (get your mate to register you on their account if you don’t have Sky 😉 ), Downcast for podcasts, StreamToMe, Red Bull magazine is amazing for free

FIFA is surprisingly good for the 69p it cost me.

snipswhispers
    Free Member

boring reply…

‘animoog’ will blow your funky mind, and theres also ‘garage band’ and the korg apps.

last time i looked, ‘viewranger’ could be had for a tenner.

the ‘gumdrop’ case is the one to buy if you’re as clumsy as i am.

‘real racing2’ is also worth a punt.

plumber
    Free Member

animoog’ will blow your funky mind, and theres also ‘garage band’ and the korg apps.

Absolutely. Amimoog is worth an iPad on its own to me. It is 😯 😀 amazing

khani
    Free Member

Get an hdmi connector lead to watch stuff you’ve downloaded on the telly, works great on iplayer and for watching you tube an stuff..

CountZero

The Kindle app works just fine, just a bit of a workaround to get books on it. There are loads that you can’t get through iBooks, and if you register with http://www.ereaderiq.co.uk/, you get regular updates on free books available for the Kindle. Flipboard is essential, however, once you start really adding stuff to it, it becomes a massive time sink, even worse than STW!
    Dropbox
    Evernote
    WeatherPro HD
    Viewranger
    UK Map
    Outside
    Instagram
    Filterstorm

SaxonRider

Unless iPad’s hide some secret that other tablets don’t share, I suspect it’s pretty much useless other than as a game playing machine or easy-browser.

I have had one (a different tablet) for about five months now, and have used it for nothing other than Angry Birds… until I finished all the levels.

Now it just sits.

CountZero

Unless iPad’s hide some secret that other tablets don’t share, I suspect it’s pretty much useless other than as a game playing machine or easy-browser.

I have had one (a different tablet) for about five months now, and have used it for nothing other than Angry Birds… until I finished all the levels.

Now it just sits.

User shows paucity of imagination shocker!
    Perhaps having a look at David Hockney’s recent exhibition might give you a clue, the 52 paintings on one wall done on an iPad, for example.
    Or how about all the music apps, like the Moog synth, or the sequencer apps, identical in sound and function to the original instruments that cost thousands, Orbital, I believe now have six iPads as part of their stage set up, and a work collegeue spent seven solid hours with his iPad hooked up with a MIDI link after I told him about the Moog app, in his bedroom studio.

nickhart
    Free Member

dunno if you like sketching but there’s an autodesk sketch app which is great. and a great map one, the complete national cycle network with downloadable os maps. tops it is.
    iplayer and 4OD also work really well on it. i didn’t want one then was bought on for my 40th and really really really like it. also it is a reconditioned ipad 1 which means my environmental side has been appeased, a little.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

1: download StarWalk
    2: go outside
    3: be amazed

craigmorris22
    Free Member

Red Bulletin .. Good for keeping upto date on mad shit

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘OK, so I've got an iPad…’ is closed to new replies.