Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • iPad apps recommendations
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Finally bought an iPad 3/HD whatever – what apps are recommended? Will be used for a bit of surfing (have flipboard), email etc and some light business use.

Just installed the muji calendar which is really nice – works with all my google calendars.

Ohh, and what is the best way of getting a few films on it for when we are out and about with my little girls.

Ta

trail_rat
    Free Member

goodplayer or VLC for your videos – drag and drop over almost any format 😀

my favorite app is the settlers the tribes game exactly as it was on the pc in 1998 – many an hour wasted on that as a kid before i found cycling. – perfect for long flights 😀

johnikgriff
    Free Member

iTunes for films

Sky walk, not work but ace.

flipiddy
    Free Member

Machinarium if you’re into puzzle adventure type games.

GarageBand if you’re into music.

Red bull tv to watch the world cup

Oh, and a stw premier sub as the new design looks ace on the iPad.

Have fun 🙂

fenred
    Free Member

I blagged an iPad at work for ‘ahem’ business use…’docstogo’ for a basic office suite 😉

CountZero

I was going to suggest Flipboard, I discovered it recently, and it’s been a huge time waster for me. Star Walk is great on the Pad, Kindle and iBooks, WeatherPro for weather, much better than the Met Office. Filterstorm for photo editing, Outside for free OS maps, iPhoto, Sky+ if you have a Sky box.

CountZero

It’s worth getting a camera kit too if you like taking pics, it’s so much easier to view photos on the bigger screen, I’ve got 1000 photos on mine at the moment…

geoffj

Rip films using Handbrake and then load using iTunes
    Apps:
    Wunderlist
    Evernote
    Angrybirds HD (obviously)
    plenty of cool drawing apps that our kids like

bellys
    Free Member

CineXplayer drag and drop plays most formats. Temple run is good also asphalt 6 is a good driving game bike M turbo is ok.
    Sky sports news app is good. Iv also got iswifter web browser that plays flash games and web cams/ online moves.

CHB

weatherpro hd is ace…best weather source available.
    dropbox is part of my life.
    iplayer
    goodreader has its uses
    splashtop for remote pc control
    airplayer for pulling vids of my pc directly
    planefinder hd is amazing

eyerideit
    Free Member

Has anyone tried aweditorium?

It’s a free music app with a really nice interface. It’s well put together and has loads of content

+1 goodreader for reading STW digital issues.

GrahamS

Just installed the muji calendar which is really nice – works with all my google calendars.

You know the built-in calendar app works with Google Calendars too yeah?

(not trying to be patronising – a surprisingly large number of people don’t realise this)

Oh and AcePlayer is very useful for streaming (or copying) movies from your media server in pretty much any format.

Bez

Luminance is a nice mini-Lightroom app.
    Penultimate is a decent doodling/sketching app.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

TuneIn Radio – radio app
    Remote – remote control for itunes, very useful if you bung an airport on your hifi.
    Minimal folio – very tidy presentation app

grum
    Free Member

Downcast for podcasts.
    Red bulls free magazine is awesome
    Snapseed
    Tune In Radio
    Jamie Oliver recipes app

CountZero

TuneIn Radio – radio app
    Remote – remote control for itunes, very useful if you bung an airport on your hifi.
    Minimal folio – very tidy presentation app

Remote works beautifully with iTunes on my Mac Mini, letting me control my music without needing the telly on, (its monitor).

feckless
    Free Member

IA Writer. Quite the best writing tool available for the iPad.

Paper. Similarly good for scribbling stuff.

Pages. If you really need to format what you’ve written or edit an MS Word doc.

Keynote. Even on an iPad it’s better than F-ing Powerpoint on an ordinary PC.

GoodReader. Because everyone else has already mentioned it

DezB
    Free Member

Autotrader app if you’re thinking of buying a car (or just like browsing them)
    IMDB if you like films.
    Garageband is good.
    Epyc is a fun drawing game (if it wasn’t for the morons who can only draw penises) or Sketchpad (or is it Sketchclub?) for a good drawing app (you can save your drawing as a video and upload it)

donks
    Free Member

Autodesk sketchbook pro is very good and will be even better (clearer) I guess.
    Drums, this is great for messing about knocking up beats n stuff.
    Autocad WS if you ever need the facility to load CAD plans and make some minor adjustments or notes.
    Halftone is good for knocking up funny or interesting photos.
    Around me has saved my bacon a few times…more for Iphone though when in a town trying to find wholesalers, garages etc.
    My Measures is good for taking pics of things you need to work on then adding comments and dimms to look back on when back in the office…used this loads recently.
    And for what its worth in case there’s a sparky reading this Capable is a superb app for cable calcs and sizes.

edd

Trainyard – very addictive…

leffeboy

Autodesk sketchbook pro

– My kids love this big time. It’s a great drawing app

GrahamS

For editing photos take a look at the Snapseed app.
    http://www.snapseed.com/home/mobile/features/

(Good on the iPhone too)

GrahamS

Autodesk sketchbook pro

Paper looks quite interesting if you are into drawing/art at all:

[video]http://vimeo.com/37254322[/video]

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/03/paper-for-ipad-hands-on-so-this-is-what-microsofts-former-courier-employees-were-working-on/

peteimpreza

“For editing photos take a look at the Snapseed app.”

Or get iPhoto for iPad – awesome.

Angry Birds in all versions
    Weather pro
    Guardian
    Flight Control and the new Rocket version.
    Starwalk
    TuneIn Radio
    Garageband
    Sky+
    Netflix

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You know the built-in calendar app works with Google Calendars too yeah?

I have tried using it but it doesn’t seem to like loading all my calendars (home, work, shared work across the work network, colleagues calendars etc).

Possibly just me doing something wrong but the Muji one worked first time whereas the built in calendar won’t do what I want it to (or at least I can’t work out how to do it).

GrahamS

Hmmm.. were you adding it as a Microsoft Exchange server as per these instructions?

http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&topic=14252&answer=138740

I’ve got four calendars (Me, Missus, Both of Us, Other Stuff) and that works okay. But I’ve never tried it with other people’s shared calendars too.

muddy@rseguy

Sketchbook pro for work
    Kindle for reading
    Plants vs Zombies HD for using up the rest of your life 🙂

verses

MF, does this mean your fire-sale Touchpad is now surplus to requirements? 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

MF, does this mean your fire-sale Touchpad is now surplus to requirements?

Hmm, not sure on that one. It was having that that made me realise how useful a decent tablet could be (it really is a million miles from the iPad).

So I either sell it on Ebay for a vast profit (bought at £89 and they go on Ebay for £165ish because you can install Android on them now) or keep it for keeping around the house/my little girls to play on (they love Angry Birds HD unsurprisingly) but it is an expensive toy to let them have.

CHB

Sell it. With iPads you can share apps you have bought accross multiple iPads…so when ipad 4 or 5 comes out your daughter can have the “old” new iPad with all the apps on.

bellys
    Free Member

Iv just down loaded bikeMturbo great free game.

camster
    Free Member

Penultimate for taking notes/sketching
    Maths Bingo, Where’s my Water for the kids
    The Elements
    Numberlink puzzle
    Hubble Top 100 photos
    The Tiny Bang Story, a stunning puzzle game
    Real Racing 2 HD
    Brot, a fractal generator

Just for starters!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘iPad apps recommendations’ is closed to new replies.