Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Office lunch: Couscous and ????
  • nbt

Trying to vary my office lunches so that I’m not eating sandwiches every day. I’ve picked up a few sachets of couscous which require just some boiling water. There are a few different flavours (veg, mushroom, chili etc) but even so, just couscous is perhaps a little boring. What can I add to make it more interesting to eat? We have a kettle and a microwace, no hotplate or grill or anything. we do have a freezer so I could e.g. get frozen peas and just cook them separately in the microwave

Sensible (or hilarious but unreasonable) suggestions please..

Also welcome suggestions of other lunches – there’s a chap on the local market who does curry from his mobile van, I regularly partake of his Keema Peas and rice, I occasionally visit the chippy and the pie shop…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

the Mexican inspired ready made couscous at Lidl is two servings and tastes great and is about a quid.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I used to buy a packet of pre-cooked chicken to go with mine, along with some chilli sauce or something.

Word of warning though, I went off it very quickly, even 6 months later the smell of those packets make me heave.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Curry. Once every few weeks I make up a massive batch of curry and freeze it down, simply de frost one at a time to keep n fridge, add cous cous to a tupperware, little bit of butter on top, pour in boiling water, curry on top, job done. Microwave at work if I have time, if not it’s fine cold

perchypanther
    Free Member

Office lunch: Couscous and ????

….despair?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Smoked mackerel.

ferrals
    Free Member

Make up the cous-cous at home and mix in chopped raw veg and chunks of cheese (feta if you are feeling fancy). I used to do that quite a lot.

Can do the same with pasta. also with chucks of chicken. roast a chicken on Sunday and it lasts til weds for lunches I find.

I am too lazy now, been living off ham sandwiches all year.

nbt

I’ve got mine from Aldi , though I tend to have a full packet 😳

Should note, these lunches are mainly for days when I cycle and don’t bring anything with me – I keep the couscous packets in my drawer, along with some tins of soup. I can use cupboard space / fridge / freezer at work and yes, do occasionally bring in “last night’s tea” when we cook extra portions

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Feta or halloumi and loads of chopped or grated veg through it, but of garlic and chilli oil, good stuff.

Also, have a Google for home made pot noodles, I just bung in whatever Asian flavours I have, sesame oil, 5 spice, soy, nam pla, chilli flakes, lime and coriander and some prawns or cooked chicken. Bit of miso and a bit of boiling water, 90 secs in microwave and it’s awesome.

Gary_M
    Free Member

What can I add to make it more interesting to eat?

Tin of tuna, mackerel in tomato sauce, bring in shopped chicken, ham, chorizo etc, etc.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Giant cous cous is ace, lots of torn mozzarella, basil, sun blush tomatoes and rocket. Yum.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Pork Pie.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

tiny grains of misery sand

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dSwazQ0XJXc[/video]

binners

Office lunch: Couscous and ????

….a walk to Greggs. I’ve already phoned your order in….

Just look at that smile? And who can blame her? Reckon anyone has ever smiled while holding a bowl of couscous?

beefheart
    Free Member

Chips. Chips go with everything.

slowoldman

We often have couscous with a mix of sautéed veg (onions, peppers, courgettes, garlic, ginger, etc) to go with smoked mackerel fillets, other fish, omelette. The veg can be precooked, frozen, microwaved. Don’t bother with sachets either, that’s an expensive way to buy couscous. Get a pack and take a little to work in a container.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Two perfect poached eggs in 1 min and 52 secs?

This has transformed my work related breakfast / lunch options.

The best £1.49 i have ever spent.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yolks soft? If so, I’m in.

binners

The best £1.49 i have ever spent.

Ahem….

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yolks soft?

60 seconds with just water. 40 ml per egg. Add eggs, precracked into teacups for simultaneous insertion.

48 seconds for soft whites and runny yolks.
    52 seconds for firm whites and runny yolks
    56 seconds for firm yolks.

Timings correct according to our office microwave after a few days of experimentation. YMMV.

A genuine revelation.

It’s more difficult and time consuming to make the toast.

newrobdob
    Free Member

…..and steak.

Hold the couscous please. 😀

km79
    Free Member

If you run out of couscous you can use cardboard which has been left out in the rain overnight as a replacement.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

This nation has cous cous all wrong. It’s not about the cous cous. It is there to soak up the nice sauce of whatever is the feature. Lamb tagine with harrissa etc. on its own, or worse a perfumed packet from the supermarket. no chance.

johndoh
    Free Member

I do three bean salad + extra chick peas (I am an addict) mixed with a bit of pasta then tossed with balsamic, oil & parmesan. Costs pennies and very tasty.

Alternatively, I do like Nissin SOBA noodles when they are on offer in the supermarket – far tastier than the likes of Pot Noodles but quite pricy when at full price.

Drac

What can I add to make it more interesting to eat?

Cardboard.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lots of typical British meat and 2 veg dinosaurs about today!

km79
    Free Member

This nation has cous cous all wrong. It’s not about the cous cous. It is there to soak up the nice sauce of whatever is the feature.

That’s what bread is for.

Drac

This nation has cous cous all wrong. It’s not about the cous cous. It is there to soak up the nice sauce of whatever is the feature.

Have we? That’s exactly its problem it only tastes of what it’s soaked in.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I had cous cous with falafels and a salad of cucumber/tomato/red onions with some herbs + some mint yogurt for lunch, very nice it was too.

cokie

Chilly Kidney Beans or Mixed beans with a few cherry tomatoes.
    Big tin from Tesco- split over 2 days.

poly
    Free Member

If you enjoy preparing at home then James Ramsdens love your lunchbox has some good inspiration.

cranberry
    Free Member

Do you not have a short order chef at work that can do you steak and chips, with bacon on top, if you don’t fancy the duo of wild boar and venison with gnocci ?

Oh.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not really a problem but an opportunity. Don’t soak in boring old water, but some stock, or something with some spices added to it. I just soak in some form of stock usually with some spices and chilli flakes in, and add tinned fish, usually Mackerel.

brassneck

Edmame beans from frozen
    Falafel and houmous
    Dhal
    Heinz tinned lentil curry
    Quorn fillets

(you may spot a theme here)

chvck
    Free Member

Falafel n hummmus in a pitta bread would be my first choice I think, possibly with a bit of lettuce. Couscous, something like falafel, precooked chicken etc…, something spreadable, bit of salad. All in a pitta/tortilla and you’ve got quite a few easy options.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Same as pasta and rice then, mibbe you’re just that old and crabbit your taste buds are destroyed though.

IHN

Trying to vary my office lunches so that I’m not eating sandwiches every day.

Why? Sandwiches are great. I reckon I could eat a nice cheese salad sandwich for lunch every day and never get bored of it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Perchy – if ye don’t have access to a microwave, get a cheap shit kettle, fill wi cold water and 2 eggs, boil and stand for 6 mins, perfect boiled eggs.

I use to use one of the nightshift guys kettles for this, his tea must’ve had an edge…. :mrgreen:

perchypanther
    Free Member

Sounds like an experiment waiting to happen.

First up though is office Eggs Benedict now that I’ve mastered the microwave poached eggs.

I’m hoping to work my way up to a full on hibachi desk barbecue.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Eggs Benny is food of the gods, if ye have a spoons nearby, theirs is wicked value at about 4 quid odd and free coffee refills.

Braw.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Office lunch: Couscous and ????’ is closed to new replies.