Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Nicky Hayden RIP
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member
    wattsymtb
    Free Member

Bugger indeed. RIP.

weeksy

Shheeesh. A bleak day for sure

Rip world champ!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spawnofyorkshire

Seemed like a genuinely nice fella. I remember with fondness his reaction to winning the world champs, no arrogance, just buckets of tears and elation

RIP

keithr
    Free Member

Aaaaah crap – I really hoped he’d pull through.

RickDraper
    Free Member

So so sad.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Sad news. RIP

flange
    Free Member

Gutted – such a cool guy, fast and always seemed happy when interviewed.

There’s a youtube video of him somewhere riding a practise day on a supermoto – knee down drifting with a hand off the bars. Total legend.

RIP 69

donkeydave

I have not got much to say really just gutted so sad was hoping he would pull through.

69 RIP

toppers3933
    Free Member

Just heard. What a shame. Always came across as a gentleman. Love to his family. RIP.

bensales
    Free Member

That’s shit.

davosaurusrex

Was expecting it to be honest but still gutted. RIP Nicky you legend

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

BBC have linked an archive article from his 2006 win

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/6096580.stm

You dream about being world champion and dedicate your whole life to it, so when it comes true it is very special.

“I may not always have been the fastest but every race I’ve tried my hardest

Came across as an honest, charming underdog, who thankfully had his day.

A month after Scarponi died too. Ride safe people.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No. Just no.
    Always one of my favourite riders, loved his Texan drawl, loved his style, nice chap………

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

^^^ this

Hard to take this in. When you think of all the risks he took on a 200mph motorcycle and he loses his life doing something comparatively mundane.

RIP Kentucky Kid. 😥

peteimpreza

I feared this would be the outcome .

Very sad news and we have lost a genuine champion and all round nice guy .

RIP Nicky , go burn some rubber with Marco .

P-Jay
    Free Member

Such sad news, he was a great character, I followed him on Insta he seemed to spend his days just enjoying life with his kids and family.

firestarter
    Free Member

Gutted always seemed like such a nice genuine fella

RIP 69

ell_tell
    Free Member

That’s one article on BBC Sport I’d been hoping wouldn’t materialise.

Such sad news

thestabiliser
    Free Member

What a shame. Bad times.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

As everyone else has said, always came across as a good guy.

Bloody Rubbish thing to happen. 😥

RIP 69

MoreCashThanDash

I’m not a big follower of the sport but a mate has posted up some pics his kids got with Nicky Hayden 2-3 years ago, and he comes across from all the comments of fans who met him that he was a genuine nice guy who was grateful for all he had achieved.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Sad sad news

It’s a horrible irony that a man who risked death every time he raced died whilst out on a pushbike

Great champion.. Rip

Hadge
    Free Member

Absolutely gutted. You will not hear a single bad word said about Nicky because he was a genuine nice guy who had time for anyone in the paddock. Respected by his fellow riders and the world will be a lot less nicer without him in it.

shifter
    Free Member

Terrible. RIP Nicky.

Cougar

First I’d heard of this was on the radio earlier today (I’m not a sports fan particularly and have never heard of him).

What happened in the “accident”? The only reports I can find are Daily Express links and frankly I’d rather click through on the Daily Mail.

RustySpanner

road.cc article.

A decent, modest man and a brilliant racer.

Moe

This has been the only time of hearing of the death of someone I didn’t actually know when I have really felt my heart sink. Had always liked watching Nicky and like everyone else you just knew he was a real genuine 100% good human being.

Condolences to his nearest and dearest.

Cougar

Cheers Rusty.

convert

Bugger. Another one. And a top man by all accounts.

Speculating on accidents is bad form I appreciate but I didn’t understand one of the comments on that road.cc article…..

If you look at the car the damage is all on the passenger side window. Most likely car didn’t even see him, ploughed into him and ultimately has killed him. Please rephrase title to say car driver was involved with the death of Nicky Hayden. Rarely is the cyclist at fault

I might be getting myself confused but if a cyclist went through a stop sign as the article suggests Hayden did and hit a car going perpendicularly to their direction of travel would not impact damage on the passenger’s side of the car what you would expect to see?

joefm

Rusty Spanner – Member
    road.cc article.

A decent, modest man and a brilliant racer.

‘A keen cyclist, Hayden once took part in Critical Mass while staying in London, using a loan bike from the hotel he was staying in – much to the surprise of some of the other participants in the ride, one of whom shared the story on a thread of the Facebook page of the Stop Killing Cyclists campaign group.’

Down to earth and humble. Such a great character in the paddock and no one has a bad word to say.

His story to success is truly remarkable. His emotion winning that title spoke volumes just how much that meant. No arrogance and worked hard.

RIP Nicky.

Dreadfully sad.

mattyfez

There doesn’t seem to be much real info on exactly what happened.

There are some grim pics of a car with a smashed windscreen and that’s about it.

Hopefully some more information will come to light.

I’d never heard of him either not being a motor bike fan, but something obviously went very wrong for that kind of crash to occur, regardless of which party was to blame.

Lets hope some more details come out. RiP.

LittleNose
    Free Member

Sad news indeed.

RIP Nicky

sobriety
    Free Member

Very sad news.

I might be getting myself confused but if a cyclist went through a stop sign as the article suggests Hayden did and hit a car going perpendicularly to their direction of travel would not impact damage on the passenger’s side of the car what you would expect to see?

Again I know it’s bad form, but I’ve had a look on google maps at the junction/ and the picture posted in the previous thread showing the alleged direction of travel of the two parties, and it looks rather like he ran a stop/misjudged the speed of the car/something else that bought him onto the main carriage way and into the car. This looks like it could well be one of the few cases where the car driver really was just driving along, and the cyclist ‘came from nowhere’, which makes it all the sadder.

onewheelgood

Very sad. RIP 69

mattyfez

The car windscreen damage suggests it was a fairly head on crash.

Maybe the car cut the corner and smacked him, maybe he swung out, I hope there’s a detailed investigation as to what happend.

pondo

Met him once, seemed a lovely chap – desperately sad that he’s left us so soon. 🙁

ourmaninthenorth

RIP too Julia Viellehner, the German triathlete, who was hit by an HGV and died in the same hospital as Hayden on the same day….

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Nicky Hayden RIP’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts