Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Motorcyclist protesting helmet laws dies in bike crash while not wearing helmet
  • imnotverygood

I think it is fair to point out that his campaigning appears to have been a little counter productive.

Northwind

Something I heard a long time ago… Anyone who doubts whether helmets are a good idea for bikers, has never been hit in the face by a bumblebee while riding.

OTOH, the doctors said a helmet would have saved his life, right? My doctors told me my helmet definately saved my life when I had my big pushbike crash, I wasn’t wearing it though.

xiphon
    Free Member

One less person to worry about contaminating the gene pool.

Harsh? Perhaps.

Maybe a blessing in disguise? Perhaps.

j_me
    Free Member

And so we get to page three and the tIts are out 🙄
    Suprised it took that long for that comment tbh

pealy
    Free Member

cracking thread. Reminds me how in the 70’s nobody wore seat belts, child seats were unheard of and a quick one afore ye go was accepted. Where will be be in another 40 years? All clad in bubble wrap?

molgrips
    Free Member

All clad in bubble wrap?

Motorcyclists will be clad in explosive hard foam that turns them into a giant crunchie style ball before impact.

CountZero

Are some of you stupid enough to think that wearing a helmet will make you invulnerable to head injury and/or death? It may reduce the injury you suffer in a crash that is all. Could be the difference between dead or alive or just the difference in how much of a mess your wrecked body is to clear up & shovel into a coffin. Same goes for wearing leathers & other safety gear.

For all we know he could have been riding/cruising at the same speed as someone on a pushbike. There is a vast difference between someone cruising down a boulevard at 30mph and someone on a sports bike pushing it on the ‘twisties’.

My brother can give you a graphic personal description of the difference it makes having a lid on when coming off a bike at 20mph after clipping the rear wing of a slow moving car. There would have been no problem at all, if it hadn’t been for the Alfa Romeo travelling at 50mph in the other direction. Bruising to the brain, facial injuries, smashed collar bone, broken shoulder blade, broken ribs, collapsed lung, two fractured neck vertebra, two back vertebra. Nearly died at the scene, only stabilised by his fiancé who was on her bike behind, nearly lost his right arm on the Frenchay operating table, a grafted blood vessel and nerves saved that. He’s back at work two years later and riding his old bike. His 1200 Bandit sadly wasn’t reparable.
    Personally, I think riding without a lid is dumb, just the thought of a bumblebee or a may bug in the face at 70mph puts me off riding bareheaded, and having come off my SS at walking pace and slamming my head on the Tarmac the fact I was wearing my Xen clearly saved me from a serious scalp wound, judging from the deep gouges on the edge of the visor.
    Regarding the gentleman in the States, I like to think of him as being an example of evolution in action.

CountZero

Are some of you stupid enough to think that wearing a helmet will make you invulnerable to head injury and/or death? It may reduce the injury you suffer in a crash that is all. Could be the difference between dead or alive or just the difference in how much of a mess your wrecked body is to clear up & shovel into a coffin. Same goes for wearing leathers & other safety gear.

For all we know he could have been riding/cruising at the same speed as someone on a pushbike. There is a vast difference between someone cruising down a boulevard at 30mph and someone on a sports bike pushing it on the ‘twisties’.

My brother can give you a graphic personal description of the difference it makes having a lid on when coming off a bike at 20mph after clipping the rear wing of a slow moving car. There would have been no problem at all, if it hadn’t been for the Alfa Romeo travelling at 50mph in the other direction. Bruising to the brain, facial injuries, smashed collar bone, broken shoulder blade, broken ribs, collapsed lung, two fractured neck vertebra, two back vertebra. Nearly died at the scene, only stabilised by his fiancé who was on her bike behind, nearly lost his right arm on the Frenchay operating table, a grafted blood vessel and nerves saved that. He’s back at work two years later and riding his old bike. His 1200 Bandit sadly wasn’t reparable.
    Personally, I think riding without a lid is dumb, just the thought of a bumblebee or a may bug in the face at 70mph puts me off riding bareheaded, and having come off my SS at walking pace and slamming my head on the Tarmac the fact I was wearing my Xen clearly saved me from a serious scalp wound, judging from the deep gouges on the edge of the visor.
    Regarding the gentleman in the States, I like to think of him as being an example of evolution in action.

M6TTF
    Free Member

TJ will be along soon to tell you how not wearing his helmet is safer….

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Motorcyclist protesting helmet laws dies in bike crash while not wearing helmet’ is closed to new replies.