Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Motorcyclist protesting helmet laws dies in bike crash while not wearing helmet
  • mega
    Free Member

RIP Mr Biker – hope others can learn from your sad mistake.

daily mail – check
    lack of lid – check

daily mail – helmet

Bez

I can’t imagine the level of smug, bilious, pathetic righteous indignation I’d find on the other side of that link.

5thElefant
    Free Member

We all die. He died doing something he enjoyed. It doesn’t get better than that does it?

wwaswas

I can’t imagine the level of smug, bilious, pathetic righteous indignation I’d find on the other side of that link.

actually, the story sticks to the facts – didn’t scroll down to see if there was a comments section.

baldSpot
    Free Member

What a moron. Hope he hasn’t left too much devastation and grief behind.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Funnily enough it says “Comments (0)”

jon1973
    Free Member

We all die. He died doing something he enjoyed. It doesn’t get better than that does it?

Hmmm, don’t know about that. I enjoy mountain biking but I’d rather not die doing it. I’d rather live a long and fruitful life and continue to do the things I enjoy and die peacefully in my sleep when I’m an old man.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

C’mon guys… this isn’t STW if one idiot doesn’t come along and say they’re glad he died for being stupid or something…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Seeing as this happened in America, it is a good lesson in the meaning of “irony” for them (if the clichés are to be believed).

TheBrick
    Free Member

It’s his choose. He would have been safer in a car. Maybe he should have not been riding a motorbike at all.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

it is a good lesson in the meaning of “irony” for them

Like rain on your wedding day 😕

wrightyson
    Free Member

How long before this descends into the usual “helmets should be worn v helmets do nothing debate”
    End of the day motorbike riding is a dangerous activity, the consequences of bike accidents are usually worse than car accidents! Probably due to the fact you’re just sliding down the road or through the air when you come off!

jon1973
    Free Member

Like rain on your wedding day

Exactly, like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife, really annoying.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

That’s not ironic! Fool! I meant like…

Meeting the man of your dreams… and then meeting his beautiful wife.

That’s ironic. Don’t you think?

joao3v16
    Free Member

With all due respect, a ridiculous way of looking at it.

j_me
    Free Member

We all die. He died doing something he enjoyed.

So did Elvis.

nickf
    Free Member

So did Elvis.

Just goes to show that life has a funny, funny, way of helping you out.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So did Michael Hutchence.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Life has a funny, funny way of hummm hummm hummmmmm things hummm ok.

mega
    Free Member

traffic jam – **** it I’m already late

themountaingoat
    Free Member

So did David Carradine

Woody
    Free Member

What a moron.

[quote]Hmmm, don’t know about that. I enjoy mountain biking but I’d rather not die doing it[/quote]

So did Michael Hutchence.

Well there we go – to quote TJ it’s all about risk assessment, and whether it’s wearing a helmet or biting the satsuma, we all make different assessments of risk.

Doesn’t make everyone who participates in ‘dangerous’ activities a moron however, and to judge the deceased (RIP) with the limited facts of the article, makes the the ‘moron comment’ even more moronic. 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

I disagree. You could do something you love and NOT die, then you could continue to do it more.

baldSpot
    Free Member

🙂

Doesn’t make everyone who participates in ‘dangerous’ activities a moron however

now your putting words in my mouth! its moronic because he didn’t wear a helmet and everyone with a brain knows that wearing a helmet whilst motorcycling is a good idea.

Junkyard
    Free Member

He was pronounced dead at Upstate University hospital, where doctors said he would have survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

So they very thing he was objecting to would have saved him

Woody
    Free Member

So they very thing he was objecting to would have saved him

Reminds me of the story of the animal rights protestor who was saved by the very product tested in the lab she was protesting outside.

Baldspot

Not putting words in your mouth – you said he was a moron (and by definition, you included any other person who takes ‘risks’) without knowing any of the facts other than a helmet would probably have saved him. My point is that he may well have been highly intelligent and had fully assessed the risks before making his decision not to wear a helmet.

ps. the helmet/risk assessment thing has been done to death on numerous other threads, so I’m not going there.

baldSpot
    Free Member

and by definition, you included any other person who takes ‘risks’)

no i didn’t! 😯

Marge
    Free Member

I saw this DM article too but didn’t read it as I didn’t want to read any smug comment to a sad occurence.

I’m a motorcyclist & would feel horribly vulnerable riding without a lid but I guess this guy did indeed make his choice. I know it ultimately cost him his life (perhaps) but other than the work for the medics & associated costs he wasn’t hurting anyone else by his choice (unless we consider the risk of taking urgent paramedic support from another perhaps less selfish victim).

I guess it’s the same as wearing a seatbelt in a car argument & finally this also comes down to the costs of both immediate & potentially long-term medicare.

5thElefant
    Free Member

With all due respect, a ridiculous way of looking at it.

Only if you think you’re immortal. Dying of old age really isn’t as much fun as it sounds.

enfht
    Free Member

Oops Bez that backfired didn’t it

Now who’s bigoted 😉

falkirk-mark

well that is a shot in the foot for the anti helmet group he was with.

molgrips
    Free Member

but other than the work for the medics & associated costs he wasn’t hurting anyone else by his choice

What about his family and friends?

Dying of old age really isn’t as much fun as it sounds

Neither is dying too young, by the sound of it. Might as well go for a bike ride now and shoot yourself, otherwise..?

5thElefant
    Free Member

well that is a shot in the foot for the anti helmet group he was with.

It’s not about helmets being a safety product, it’s about personal choice. I’d cruise around on my Harley in the Florida sun without a helmet too. That’s worth the risk and none of the governments business.

Neither is dying too young, by the sound of it. Might as well go for a bike ride now and shoot yourself, otherwise..?

That’s pretty much what Hunter S. Thompson did.

falkirk-mark

That’s worth the risk and none of the governments business

It is when they are closing roads and paying someone to clean up the mess they are leaving

5thElefant
    Free Member

It is when they are closing roads and paying someone to clean up the mess they are leaving

Insurance could cover that, hence the need for campaign groups to help stop unwanted interference.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’d prefer to die skiing or mountain biking rather than a large piano falling on my head whilst I am sat at a desk at work.

Old age dying isnt all the fun some people above appear to think it is either… unless your very lucky!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Might as well go for a bike ride now and shoot yourself, otherwise..?

Please dont I would miss you and such a waste of a young life
    Unwanted interference?
    Trying to protect people from themselves tbh. It is interference [ what about speed limit and what side of the road you drive?] but as this shows many folk will make innapropriate choices. I agree [ to some degree] if they only harm themselves it is their choice to make. I am not sure I would campign for my human right to ignore basic safety equipment tbh
    EDIT: i think we all know that life is preferable to death but most of us do manage risk to minimise the later and prolong the former

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s not just helmets. Riding a motorcycle is a dangerous thing to do. Drinking alcohol is a dangerous thing to do. Smoking fags is a dangerous (and really disgusting) thing to do.

The list is endless. It really is nobody else’s business, particularly if you’re putting yourself at risk and not others.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d prefer to die skiing or mountain biking rather than a large piano falling on my head whilst I am sat at a desk at work.

Ohh I dunno. That sounds grand to me!

wwaswas

You’d probably get in the news for the latter which some might consider to be a plus.

I’m not sure it’s about how you die, more what you did with your life beforehand, though?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Motorcyclist protesting helmet laws dies in bike crash while not wearing helmet’ is closed to new replies.