Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Minimum wage could be frozen
  • binners

Think you will find that most successful business people are successful not because of luck but because they have the desire to work hard, work smart, well past the 9-5 and because they don’t expect to be spoon fed stuff on a plate.

So what your saying is that everyone who isn’t successful is basically a layabout, and its all their own fault? For their failure to grasp one of the plentiful opportunities for self-advancement in our utopian meritocracy?

You are Ian Duncan Smith and I claim my £5 of food vouchers 😆

sbob
    Free Member

binners – Member

So what your saying is that everyone who isn’t successful is basically a layabout, and its all their own fault? For their failure to grasp one of the plentiful opportunities for self-advancement in our utopian meritocracy?

No that isn’t what he is saying.
    I work hard, but there are people that work harder.
    Always try and remember; it doesn’t matter how clever you are there is always someone cleverer more intelligent. 😉

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And no matter how hard you swim there is always someone trying to force your head below the water.

anagallis_arvensis

Think you will find that most successful business people are successful not because of luck but because they have the desire to work hard, work smart, well past the 9-5 and because they don’t expect to be spoon fed stuff on a plate.

dear sweet jesus are you for real?

aracer
    Free Member

Btw, if everyone is rich, ie, everyone has the same amount of money, isn’t that communism ?

Ah, so you do agree with rebel12?

footflaps

There is a lot of luck in being successful, for every Richard Branson, there are plenty of people with as much determination who didn’t make it. Every closed down small shop is someone’s broken dream and probably most of their life savings down the drain….

Lifer
    Free Member

Yawn

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Absolutely aracer.

Now I understand why he chose his username.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Haha Ernie I was just thinking the same thing!

Has he called anyone a pleb yet? 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

Well unless I have seriously misunderstood the gist of this thread, I believe that the suggestion is an increase in the minimum wage.

But that apparently causes harm for charities whilst still alloying the evil that are Tesco and McDonalds to have massive profits whilst just paying market rate for salaries.

piemonster

Well you’ll work harder
    With a gun in your back
    For a bowl of rice a day

ohnohesback
    Free Member

B*gg*r all percent of b*gg*r all is stil b*gg*r all.

Solo
    Free Member

I guess my real issue is with CEO and share holders who keep their boot on the throat of the pay scales for employees, in order to max-out profits. Frankly, were I CEO, whatever. I’d skim £5 Million off the top of £100 million profit and get even the lowest paid employee onto a reasonable wage.
    *no prizes for pointing out that behaviour such as this would see me ejected from my position at the AGM*

Wasn’t google in the news recently for sitting on loads of cash. Not returning it to share holders ?.

Of course, cruising down the isles of your office, throwing cash at employees has to be tempered against the larger picture wrt inflation, etc. But when I hear that people are still earning less than £8 per hour, while working for a company that makes £2 Billion profit. I have to wonder about the morals at those people responsible for that.
    And no, its not the fault of any government, imo, but rather a gross example of the greed which corrupts those at the top.
    Absolute power, etc, etc.

mudshark
    Free Member

Yeah but that’s the point – it’s the shareholders who decide not the management as such. If management can put forward a reasoned justification for paying more than the market rate then maybe the shareholders will go for it. So really we’re reliant on the law – and companies obeying the law. As most shares are held by institutions who have to do the best for their stakeholders there’s never going to be any altruism here.

clubber
    Free Member

I guess it’d be impossible to administer but maybe a sliding scale of minimum wage – smaller businesses (that IME genuinely do struggle at times with paying minimum wage) one level, bigger companies at a different (sliding scale) value.

Though maybe that’d just skew the market to make everyone want to work at the big companies.

Solo
    Free Member

there’s never going to be any altruism here.

Agreed. Its not a Gov issue, it’s the greed of people.
    Now, let us all worship at the alter of Greed.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The best way to drive up wages is to have full employment. The best way to drive down wages is to have mass unemployment.

Solo
    Free Member

The best way to drive up wages is to have full employment. The best way to drive down wages is to have mass unemployment.

Sounds like you’re describing market forces to me……
    😉

nick1962
    Free Member

Why pay more when the rest of the tax paying population subsidises them to make a profit,

Isn’t the vast majority of tax in the UK paid by the wealthy and big business?

rebel12
    Free Member

binners – Member

No I’m not saying that, just that for most people in the UK the opportunities are there if you really want it. If you don’t then fine but please don’t whinge at those who have taken these opportunties, provide jobs for others (regardless whether minimum wage or not), and now as a result earn more than you do.

Many people if you ask them would want to be rich – some choose to work hard and take risks to get there, some choose to work hard but are content to work for someone else – making their company owners rich, a few are born with it, others want to be rich but decide to play the lottery and watch daytime telly instead.

Different courses for different horses, and before you ask, no I am not IDS or rich – but I don’t resent those that have achieved this through hard work if that’s what they want.

anagallis_arvensis

just that for most people in the UK the opportunities are there if you really want it

you need to get out more and open your eyes

big_n_daft
    Free Member

sounds like he is voting UKIP to me 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Of course I am. Haven’t you noticed that we live in a market economy then ?

😕

stumpyjon

just that for most people in the UK the opportunities are there if you really want it. If you don’t then fine but please don’t whinge at those who have taken these opportunties, provide jobs for others (regardless whether minimum wage or not), and now as a result earn more than you do.

My feelings exactly although I do think the minimum wage is a good idea and should be increased in order to wean people off state benefits.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

sounds like he is voting UKIP to me

Someone else who is shocked to discover that wages reflect what is happening in the market ?

How bizarre.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I think they should put in a penalty employer NI rate for hourly rates below the “living wage” to encourage employers to pay it

It should also be introduced for any “internship” that lasts longer than two weeks, too many organisations abusing free labour

Solo
    Free Member

Of course I am. Haven’t you noticed that we live in a market economy then ?

Well, we did, kinda, until minimum wage came in. Now its market forces of a different nature. Now company boss doesn’t have to pay you more than minimum. Its the bench mark, the standard, at a certain strata of the employment market.

Anyway, I’ve said my bit.
    🙂

EDIT:
    BTW, I assume you’re not saying I’d vote UKIP !
    I haven’t, I won’t.

binners

You can’t make statements about ‘making work pay’ to justify cutting benefits, then in the next breath talk about cutting the minimum wage. That’s just nonsensical.

Different courses for different horses, and before you ask, no I am not IDS or rich – but I don’t resent those that have achieved this through hard work if that’s what they want.

I don’t think that anyone resents someone who is rich and successful due to their own hard work, but take a look at who we’re presently ruled by. We have a cabinet stuffed full of Millionaires. Have they earned it through their hard work? Have they ****!! With a couple of exceptions they all inherited it. They had their vast wealth handed to them, then were provided with a gilded education that instantly gave them an absolutely enormous advantage over about 99% of the countries population

Actual social mobility in this country is going backwards

nick1962
    Free Member

With a couple of exceptions they all inherited it.

And?
    Will you be leaving an inheritance? To your family? Or would that be against your pinciples giving them an unfair advantage in life?

EDIT And they probably paid tax on it too

binners

Whoosh!

sbob
    Free Member

binners – Member

but take a look at who we’re presently ruled by.

It’s almost as though you’re inferring that the previous government was devoid of anyone of privilege.
    I’m sure that’s not what you wanted to make out, what with it being so utterly untrue, but thought I’d point it out to you anyway.
    🙂

binners

sbob – I’m not defending the frankly completely useless labour party. They’re equally as unrepresentative. Which is my whole point. We now have a political class, who just wear different coloured ties, but who’s policies are essentially the same

I’m just trying to stress how ridiculous the notion is that we live in some kind of meritocracy, where everyone has an equal chance to succeed.

rebel12
    Free Member

Yes Binners I agree it’s a shame that a lot of politicians have large inherited wealth but that’s who we’re stuck with for the moment. Shockingly it’s just the same whether Conservative, Labour or Lib Dem.

Anyway here’s food for thought though: Just Googled this – I’m not a Mail Reader BTW

rebel12
    Free Member

I’m just trying to stress how ridiculous the notion is that we live in some kind of meritocracy, where everyone has an equal chance to succeed.

I didn’t say that everyone had an equal chance – but everybody does have a chance and despite some frankly horrendous upbringings there are some real success stories out there.

anagallis_arvensis

Everybody does have a chance, and I buy a lottery ticket based on chance but my chance is very small. Some people have very small chances in life others very big. The example of one person beating the odds is the same if its a lottery winner or Lord Sugar, fairly meaningless.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m not defending the frankly completely useless labour party. They’re equally as unrepresentative.

Really ? In the context of privilege? Are you sure ?

My charge sheet against New Labour is extensive, but it doesn’t include that it is led by an unrepresentative privileged few in exactly the same way as the Tory Party is. In fact I would say the opposite, ie, New Labour leaders and senior politicians tend to come from rather typical middle-class backgrounds.

Junkyard
    Free Member

but everybody does have a chance and despite some frankly horrendous upbringings there are some real success stories out there. ou just need to ignoring the 99.9999999% of people who failed

I am not religious but it would be somethign like the parable of the sower

Yes some escape despite the obvious disadvantage but its utter BS to think we all could if we just tried hard enough or to suggest we all get a fair chance at escaping.
    or fo course the lottery example becasue that us what it is really- its not a practical way out for all

CaptJon
    Free Member

rebel12 – Member

Anyway here’s food for thought though: Just Googled this – I’m not a Mail Reader BTW

My immediate thought after ingesting those stats, is that the top 1% clearly earn far too much compared to the rest of the country.

piemonster

My immediate thought after ingesting those stats, is that the top 1% clearly earn far too much compared to the rest of the country.

My thoughts exactly

rebel12
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member

Everybody does have a chance, and I buy a lottery ticket based on chance but my chance is very small. Some people have very small chances in life others very big. The example of one person beating the odds is the same if its a lottery winner or Lord Sugar, fairly meaningless.

Get real, Lord Sugar was a famous example not the norm.

The norm might be considered a chap I know who failed completely at school, lived in a really bad estate in Rochdale, left with no qualifications. Jobcentre found him a job as a trainee carpenter on almost zero pay whilst training. Found he liked it and worked very hard for the next few years. Whilst working on various shopfits he thought ‘I could do this’.

Left, bought a cheap van and took on contract work. Contracts grew through him working hard and delivering a good and reliable job. Now he has 30 others working for him and yes he’s probably a millionaire I’d say – drives an Aston anyway. His company is now one of my firm’s suppliers.

So the chance is there for everyone – just depends how hard you’re prepared to work, not luck.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Minimum wage could be frozen’ is closed to new replies.