Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Julie Burchill on Desert Island Discs.
  • RustySpanner

Vicky Pollard with delusions of adequacy.
    Perfect show for her, talking about herself for 45 minutes.
    Even, even more annoying than Janet Street-Porter or Tony Parsons.

Selfish, unpleasant and an arrogant, crashing bore.

Good taste in music though, so far.

maccruiskeen

Cocktails for Two. yyyyyaaaaaaayyyyyy

poolman
    Free Member

listening here in Spain on the terrace in the sunshine….she sounds like Joe Pascquale.

Cougar

http://www.julieburchill.org.uk/

(warning, may contain rude words)

mossimus
    Free Member

“I believed in julie when she said how easy it could be”

MrSparkle

Burchill on a desert island? Yep, I’m all for that.

SnS
    Free Member

Managed about a minute of the interview on the way back from the gym before hitting the off button.

Talk about self obsessed !!!

Chris

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Entertaining. Amusing. Great character. Strange obsessions and self-image.

Interesting music choices. Laugh-out-loud funny at one point. Touchingly tender about her parents. Never boring.

A professional irritant, targeting and pricking the pretensions of the average and pompous. Always gets a reaction.

Good stuff.

warton
    Free Member

very confused Lady I thought. Seemed to contradict herself about her feelings virtually every sentence

Pigface
    Free Member

The worst voice I have ever heard 😯 just awful.

My thoughts about her are the polar opposite of Woppits 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The worst voice I have ever heard just awful.

Oh, daaahling! That voice! Just AWFUL! My DEAR!! And SO working class…

grievoustim
    Free Member

I once heard JB’s voice described as “like a fire in a pet shop”

Pigface
    Free Member

SO working class…

said to a boy born in Tredegar 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What Woppit said in his first post. +1

AFAIK, the first well known journo to identify the increasing usage of the word “chav” as the beginning of the new demonisation of the workjng classes. As such, I’d imagine a lot of the STW demographic would find her a bit hard going. Which is not a bad thing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

A professional irritant, targeting and pricking the pretensions of the average and pompous. Always gets a reaction.

This but unlike him [ and DD] I dont think it is a good thing and i dont see it as a talent or praiseworthy

A “left wing” female Clarkson and that is not a compliment- I turned it off i could not care what she thinks and if you ask her in 5 years time it will all be different as she has somewhat fluid morals

Two husbands two kids and left them both with their dads – tell you all you need to know IMHO about her as a human being and what is worse is she is till bitter

FeeFoo
    Free Member

AFAIK, the first well known journo to identify the increasing usage of the word “chav” as the beginning of the new demonisation of the workjng classes. As such, I’d imagine a lot of the STW demographic would find her a bit hard going. Which is not a bad thing.

This.

RustySpanner

Mussolini/trains on time etc.

With the sheer amount of noise spewing forth from the random bollocks generator inside her head, some of it was bound to resemble profound, adult thought occaisionally.

The bit about not going back to Bristol was quite touching.
    The rest was like being trapped in a lift with an 11 year old who’s just discovered cider.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So, when someone who moves you to post on stw you dislike her that much (which deserves a 🙄 in itself) has said something which is true, you put it down to chimpanzees-typewriters-complete-works-of-Shakespeare theory. That’s a pretty weak put down IMO.

We get that you don’t like her. I’m sure she’s sorry for getting the whole chavs thing right. It must have been a fluke.

IanMunro
    Free Member

“And what’s your next music choice?”

This one is written by me. 😀

RustySpanner

deadlydarcy – Member

So, when someone who moves you to post on stw you dislike her that much (which deserves a in itself) has said something which is true, you put it down to chimpanzees-typewriters-complete-works-of-Shakespeare theory. That’s a pretty weak put down IMO.

I find her really interesting 😀
    I just very rarely agree with anything she says or does.

I like an awful lot of things, but, as in the German joke, I tend to keep quiet about those and sound off about things I don’t, mostly in the interests of starting a debate.

I know my opinion is no more or less valid than anyone elses, I’m not saying I’m ever right.

You don’t have to join in if you don’t want to. 🙁

CountZero

I developed a profound dislike of JB when she was a writer with NME, along with Tony Parsons. Nothing much has changed over the years to alter my point of view. Just an unpleasant loudmouth.

cinnamon_girl

Will this be available on i-player?

RustySpanner

They usually are CG.

And there’s a huuuuge archive of them to download from the BBC website if you fancy it.

Should be repeated on R4 at 9am the following Friday too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You don’t have to join in if you don’t want to.

Oh I dunno. I can’t help myself if its you. 😛

Tbf, I find her a fairly unpleasant individual but with a sharp wit who’s stuff I generally find interesting (and often quite infuriating). Other than that, I’ll leave you to it. Struggling to feel that strongly about her with the week I’ve had. I apologise for having a go. :kiss:

cinnamon_girl

Yeah, kinda agree with dd. I’ve always found her interviews to be, er, thought-provoking particularly with regard to her personal life.

Nowt wrong with challenging Society and its beliefs.

Rusty – thanks, will check. 🙂

tazzymtb

what’s with her strange obsession with wanting to be an Israeli as well? loves the national anthem, learning hebrew, and yet as she says doesn’t have a jewish bone in her body, all very slightly odd.

By Julie Burchill, December 22, 2010

This will be my last JC column for a year or so as I feel I have said all I can say for the time being about my abiding affection and reverence for the Chosen, both here and in their beautiful homeland.
    You should know that the reason I’m stepping away for a while has nothing to do with the hysterical levels of abuse that greet any Gentile who expresses support for Israel; on the contrary, I very much enjoy a bit of a verbal scrap.
    But don’t get me wrong, my admiration for the Jews and Israel came first; the nasty name-calling is just a side benefit.”

RustySpanner

MMMmmmmmmmmmmwwwaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

tazzymtb – Member

what’s with her strange obsession with wanting to be an Israeli as well?

She has a very active imagination, doesn’t she?

Other people and other places are interesting:
    My nephew wants to be a Fire Engine – but he is only 3.
    Dunno really, everyone needs a hobby.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what’s with her strange obsession with wanting to be an Israeli as well?

Its controversial and it provokes a reaction would be my guess – pretty much my guess for most of her “opinions”.

konabunny
    Free Member

She’s awful. Like Anne Coulter and half of Jeremy Clarkson, she’s just a troll. She hasn’t done anything interesting in my lifetime.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

charlatan– seems to be made for her ..

binners

I’d rather listen to nails down a blackboard for half an hour than that self-absorbed twonk. She’s like a 4 year old who tries to shock the rest of the class by standing up and saying poo or bum. Pathetic!

DezB
    Free Member

I used to like her writing in the NME back when I subscribed. But then I like all the writing in the NME back then.
    No interest in her now though, apart from finding it amusing how she used to go on (and on) about Robert Smith being fat. 😆

grum
    Free Member

She’s a self obsessed troll who occasionally makes semi reasonable points.

Indicative that she’s mates with Suzanne Moore – they share a hatred of transexuals. 😐

rogerthecat
    Free Member

JB is an empty vessel clanging as loudly and often as she can in order to provoke a reaction and justify her own existence.
    Unfortunately, her inane rantings eclipse a lot of other women polemicists in the media.
    Not often I agree with many of the things JY posts but on this one I do.

konabunny
    Free Member

Indicative that she’s mates with Suzanne Moore – they share a hatred of transexuals.
    Do either of them actually believe in anything except the importance of their career?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Julie Burchill on Desert Island Discs.’ is closed to new replies.