Viewing 40 posts - 19,441 through 19,480 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • Del

the policy is a general election, after which they’ll attempt a red unicorn brexit deal, with a referendum on it including a remain optio, which they are unclear on whether or not as a party they would back, because they would then be standing on a position against a deal they had secured. I’m assured this makes perfect sense… Except they won’t get that, because they won’t win that election he’s so desperate for, therefore handing BoJo the mandate to royally f us all in the arse.

and the idea that the leader of the opposition couldn’t get on the tv or radio is laughable if it wasn’t so sad and we weren’t so very much in need.
    where the f is he?

nach
    Free Member

Has anyone tried turning the Binnersbot off and on again?

rone

so, what’s he been doing for the last couple of weeks then?

But no, radio silence, nothing.

He’s been pretty much not stop campaigning – certainly up and down the West of the UK in the last few days.

He’s written a couple more letters setting Labour’s plan to other leaders, as well as another to Mark Sedwill telling him it would be an abuse of power to push no deal through in the middle of General Election.

Laid down some stuff for a Northern Budget.

He’s been on telly saying they will put a motion of no confidence.

He’s been to Wales for some Green related stuff.

21st of August a letter to party leaders / senior back benches to attend a meeting on the 27th of August to discuss all tactics to avoid No Deal.

Done stuff up in Cumbria about farming/no deal which includes BBC spots etc.

And that’s just the front end stuff.

rone

Unfortunately “Binners v8 is no longer supported” – is the error I get when rebooting.

scotroutes

I’m not a Corbyn fan but I don’t think you can blame him too much if the media just don’t want to cover his activities. It might help if there had been a major rally (maybe even more than one) or something like that.

DrJ
    dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’m not a Corbyn fan but I don’t think you can blame him too much if the media just don’t want to cover his activities.

If it’s not him it’s his media relations team. The today program, sky, BBC news, the guardian all sorts of outlets would fight tooth and nail to actually get to interview him, but he doesn’t come out to play so they’ve lost interest.

Sorry its difficult to write this in a way which doesn’t sound sarcastic and confrontational so I’m not going to try, but please don’t take it quite the way it sounds:

He’s been pretty much not stop campaigning – certainly up and down the West of the UK in the last few days.

Preaching to the choir then?

He’s written a couple more letters setting Labour’s plan to other leaders,

Which ones? The only two that matter, beyond him, are Boris and Foster.

Mark Sedwill telling him it would be an abuse of power to push no deal through in the middle of General Election

Who doesn’t really have any say and at best will just seek government legal advice.

Laid down some stuff for a Northern Budget

I’ve not seen or heard nothing of it, got a link? Where how did he do this? (and I appreciate I’m personally not that important but, if I’m not seeing it I’m not alone)

He’s been on telly saying they will put a motion of no confidence

An interview?

He’s been to Wales for some Green related stuff.

This?
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/devolution/2019/08/another-day-another-politician-wales-talking-about-devolved-issues-does
    or the bit where the chap who sent his kids to public school bemoaned how the tories are failing working class children by nit giving them a fair educational playing field?

21st of August a letter to party leaders / senior back benches to attend a meeting on the 27th of August to discuss all tactics to avoid No Deal.

See above, though the back benchers at least could matter.

Done stuff up in Cumbria about farming/no deal which includes BBC spots etc.

Actual interviews? With a mainstream outlet? Was it BBC news proper or a regional program?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I think the “get Jeremy in the news” ship sailed in late 2015, coincident with his leadership election victory.

If he hasn’t managed to pull together a team to get media exposure by now, he never will.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Its no use him preaching about some random windfarm in East Westernshire, or how he will increase the moment of quantum flibbery when he gets to power, there is only one thing on the news headines every night for possibly the last three years and thats Brexit. If JC wants to be resigned to the ‘And finally…’ section just before a surfboarding rabbit then crack on, but at the moment hes not anywhere near the pulse is he?

kerley
    Free Member

To keep you entertained in the meantime;

Magic Grandad
    Allotment
    6th formers
    Comrade
    Hilarious picture from Monty Python for those old enough to remember what it even is.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

just before a surfboarding rabbit

Most of us would be happy taking top billing over a bondi bunny.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I note that the Today programme on the wireless said that it’s been two and a half years since the leader of the opposition appeared.

Still, long game and all that.

Del

I note that the Today programme on the wireless said that it’s been two and a half years since the leader of the opposition appeared.

it’s a conspiracy i tells ya.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Well, something to celebrate today, Corbyn fans, he’s in the real mainstream news!

Although worth noting the current time of 11:59:59 on the evening before Boris gives us the magic of No Deal.

cranberry
    Free Member

Demanding a meeting with the queen before she makes a decision she has already signed.

Labour will end the practice of making someone with 2 E’s leader

At some point.

lunge

Now this is where I start to get even more angry with him and his team. We are on a knife edge, we need the leader of the opposition to be in every newspaper, every TV show and on every radio station talking about this issue. And what he can’t get on, send the deputy leader or a senior party rep.
    But what have we got? Still barely a whisper.

I despise what the Tory party are doing to this country but he is complicit in this.

I’m seething.

binners

And what he can’t get on, send the deputy leader or a senior party rep.
    But what have we got? Still barely a whisper.

The silence is, as usual, deafening.

Boris is playing him like a cheap fiddle. Hardly difficult as he has all the political guille of a filing cabinet.

I’ve just listened to Magic Grandad saying how he’s ‘protesting in the strongest possible terms’ about what Johnson is doing. He delivered it with all the heart, anger and passion of a bored health and safety bloke talking everyone through the fire regulations

He’s just totally and utterly ****ing useless! Boris is clearly absolutely itching to fight a general election against the doddering,vaccuous old fool! And who can blame him. He’ll absolutely walk it!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Demanding a meeting with the queen

Which constitutionally be shouldn’t get. There’s a process (humble address) for that

before she makes a decision

That’s not really a decision, she’s bound to act upon the advice of her prime minister.

she has already signed.

And that, without destroying the very nature of our parliamentary monarchy she was obligated to sign.

I despise what the Tory party are doing to this country but he is complicit in this.

IMO he’s driving it as much as fear of the ERG within the tory party, he’s so keen on watching the tory party [potentially] aflame and being king of the shit heap that he’s happy to use the whole country to start the fire.

The last few weeks have been a master class in being seen to be doing something whist actually doing nothing. I’d be unsurprised if it turned out his autocue at the previously mentioned speeches was actually solitaire.

dazh

I’m seething.

You’re seething because Jeremy Corbyn hasn’t been on the telly or because he wasn’t shouty enough? FFS man, get a grip. If he’d been outside Downing St with a megaphone Binners et al would be straigh on here calling him a 6th former.

The anger at the govt is understandable and entirely justified. Attributing blame to Corbyn because he hasn’t stopped it with powers he doesn’t have is stupid. He could be on every news channel 24/7 and it wouldn’t make a jot of difference. The only thing that will make a difference, as always, is parliamentary procedure or an election.

Or widespread riots and civil unrest. If you’re really seething that much get out on the streets instead of whining on an internet forum.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

The anger at the govt is understandable and entirely justified. Attributing blame to Corbyn because he hasn’t stopped it with powers he doesn’t have is stupid. He could be on every news channel 24/7 and it wouldn’t make a jot of difference. The only thing that will make a difference, as always, is parliamentary procedure or an election

Donkey bollocks with warts on.

Corbyn is useless as leader of the opposition, that is a completely legitimate ire to hold.

An election could help, but Jeremy Corbynski would lose it spectacularly.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

he’s so keen on watching the tory party [potentially] aflame

not even sure its the tory party any more… maybe the zombie carcass of the tory party, with brexit loons dancing it around using strings…

binners

Attributing blame to Corbyn because he hasn’t stopped it with powers he doesn’t have is stupid.

Maybe actually turning up at some point over the last three years would have helped?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Attributing blame to Corbyn because he hasn’t stopped it with powers he doesn’t have is stupid. He could be on every news channel 24/7 and it wouldn’t make a jot of difference.

Only the power he does (or rather should) have is intrinsically linked to the media, he’s the leader of the oposition – one who in times past has been fairly shouty, and proactive, attending and organising demos against government policy both foreign and domestic – he needs to oppose, he needs to pursuade, he needs to convince the people at large that this is a bad thing.

Regardless of there being a GE tomorrow or in 3 years time he needs to be campaigning, to threaten the tory voter base.

You say he has no power but you can guarantee if the Tories thought no deal was going to loose them the next election or 5 they’d drop it like a burning turd. His power lies in the fact that, unlike the government he doesn’t have to deliver anything, he has 5 years between elections to do nothing but campaign, to attack their voter base and convince those people that voting Labour is the better choice, that Labour has a better vision, that it is an alternative.

Policy might be enacted in legislation but its all made in fear of the ballot box.

Instead of that he’s writing letters to colleagues with a handful of seats in Westminster, suggesting solutions he knows they won’t support. He’s agreeing to try use a legislative route which doesn’t exist so needs the speaker to completely disregard the centuries of parliamentary convention that passes for our constitution to even get off the ground before it gets to the hard part.
    He’s demanding an audience with the queen she’s constitutionally unable to give to ask her to not do something she’s legally bound to do.

Yes being mad at him is justified.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Attributing blame to Corbyn because he hasn’t stopped it with powers he doesn’t have is stupid.

So a 3 line whip to invoke A50 means he’s blameless, powerless & innocent….?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_(Notification_of_Withdrawal)_Act_2017

Yeahhhhh, okayyyyyy…..

I can’t work out whether you’re a bit daft or secretly a Brexiteer…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Or widespread riots and civil unrest. If you’re really seething that much get out on the streets instead of whining dazhsplaining on an internet forum.

binners

Poor misunderstood, blameless Jeremy.

When he also 3-line whipped his MPs to vote against remaining in the customs union or single market, that was all part of his cunning plan.

Playing the long game, you see

It’ll all be fine…

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’ve just listened to Magic Grandad saying how he’s ‘protesting in the strongest possible terms’ about what Johnson is doing. He delivered it with all the heart, anger and passion of a bored health and safety bloke talking everyone through the fire regulations

It’s play acting to keep the remainers in the Labour party on board. Corbyn wants Brexit, preferably a Tory Brexit, the outcome he wants with none of the fallout of doing it

He’s just totally and utterly ****ing useless! Boris is clearly absolutely itching to fight a general election against the doddering,vaccuous old fool! And who can blame him. He’ll absolutely walk it!

Seamus is playing the long game, Corbyn is expert at spinning multiple positions at the same time, overall they are playing the cards they hold well and getting the outcomes they want. If you are a remainer you need to find a different figurehead. GE vote will hold up. They won’t win.

cranberry
    Free Member

This Corbyn ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTXpaKfbSlc&t=220s

kelvin

rone

I demand a second vote on that poll.

Proves how dumb people are. They want to vote for worse, let ’em have it.

kelvin

We all get it though.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

“He [Mr Corbyn] should see an election before Brexit is decided, for the elephant trap it is.”

I appreciate Blair’s opinion is likely to have exactly the opposite effect on the current Labour leadership but for my penny’s worth I’ve got to say I think he’s right.

Seems corbyn still can’t find an opinion either.

“If it is no deal, we would vote for Remain,” he said, but added that if there was another deal on offer “the party’s democratic processes will decide”.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49552403

Still at least he’s in the news and answering questions. Let’s see what he manages tomorrow once they’re in session. Is this the first step towards a new (pro?) active JC?

Flaperon

Boris is playing him like a cheap fiddle. Hardly difficult as he has all the political guille of a filing cabinet.

^^ This. Right now a general election will hand both power and a mandate to Boris Johnson for a full five years.

I find it astonishing that JC can’t see this. Does he genuinely think he’s going to surf a wave of cheering support straight into Downing Street? If there’s a GE tomorrow I’ll vote LD or Green.

dazh

If there’s a GE tomorrow I’ll vote LD or Green.

Then you’d be cutting your nose off to spite your face. If you want rid of Boris, and brexit, vote for whoever has most chance of beating the tories. It’s that simple.

molgrips
    Free Member

I find it astonishing that JC can’t see this.

I reckon he probably knows more about the Labour Party’s political situation than you do tbh.

rone

Then you’d be cutting your nose off to spite your face. If you want rid of Boris, and brexit, vote for whoever has most chance of beating the tories. It’s that simple.

It’s absolutely is.

FuzzyWuzzy

It’s not that simple though, voting for Labour at a GE now isn’t voting to stop Brexit. It’s voting to give JC a chance to do a Brexit deal which would at best draw things out for several months and end up with something little different from May’s deal (just with Labour able to get it through Parliament). Even if Labour campaigned on the promise of a second referendum as the primary option then it’s still no guarantee Brexit would be avoided (although if a second referendum came out in favour of Brexit again I’d stop moaning).

So voting Labour at a snap GE could mean Brexit + JC as PM for 5 years, that’s not really much more appealing than no deal Brexit + Boris for 2-3 years.

Flaperon

I reckon he probably knows more about the Labour Party’s political situation than you do tbh.

I’m willing to bet that he’s kept so insulated from the membership that this, combined with a bit of delusion and the fact that he’s not up there intellectually, means that an egg-whisk has a better grasp of the Labour Party’s political situation.

dazh

So voting Labour at a snap GE could mean Brexit + JC as PM for 5 years, that’s not really much more appealing than no deal Brexit + Boris for 2-3 years.

Aside from the fact that you’ve inexplicably excluded the promised opportunity to stop brexit under Corbyn, if you honestly think there’s no difference between those two positions then you’re no more informed or clued up as the average no deal fantasist.

FuzzyWuzzy

Aside from the fact that you’ve inexplicably excluded the promised opportunity to stop brexit under Corbyn, if you honestly think there’s no difference between those two positions then you’re no more informed or clued up as the average no deal fantasist.

Well the two positions I mentioned are the two preferred outcomes of the respective party leaders, ofc there’s a load of other possibilities but the outcome they would prefer/focus on/try and implement is the one I’m most concerned about when voting.

I also didn’t say there’s no difference, the implication was they’re both a shit show and neither of the options would I want as my PM/government. So again it would be a case of voting for the least worst option (JC/Labour) but that does NOT guarantee an end to Brexit which is what I was replying to (and quoted, which should have made it obvious…).

Viewing 40 posts - 19,441 through 19,480 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.