Viewing 40 posts - 21,281 through 21,320 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

Blackpool?

lol I found that a very entertaining 5 mins, catching up on this thread!

nickc

Or if they were from the Congo, perhaps some Um Bongo

Oh, a different ear worm….

bridges
    Free Member

Blackpool?

dazh

Why do people assume that the only way to deal with racism is through violence?

It’s not that dealing with racism requires violence, more that in many places up here any peaceful means would usually end up that way. Especially up in the toon, where just the merest hint of disapproval will start the whole ‘who d’ye think yee aar like?’ argument which if not handled carefully will end up with a glass in your face. Thankfully you can usually avoid the racist places by going anywhere where the beer costs more than £4 a pint. I’ve never seen a racist drinking a schooner of sour IPA costing 6 quid 🙂

dyna-ti

You can spot these race hate watering holes a mile off, and its not the cost of the beer(or yellow piss water) but by the number of bouncers on the door. 4-6, avoid like the plague.

RustySpanner

Racist pubs? As opposed to pubs full of racists?

Try the Duke Of York just round the corner from Singletrack Towers.
    Genuinely nasty when I lived there.
    Stinks of piss too.
    Good juke box though.

ernielynch

Racist pubs? As opposed to pubs full of racists?

In the case of binners local, the Rose and Crown, full of misogynist homophobic racists.

And no it doesn’t seem to have been the pub management policy to only allow racists to drink there. Apparently until that fateful day when binners had a “massive barney” with the other regulars it allowed at least one Guardian reader to drink there.

According to him it wasn’t due to a change in management policy that he stopped drinking there.

binners

Are we back to my local again? Blimey, you lot are obsessed

I actually provided a valuable public service for a while Ernie.

‘Wind the Guardian Reader up’ was a popular pastime amongst the ‘salt-of-the-earth’ regulars.

It was something I put up with for quite a while as it was mostly good-natured, but there was a straw that broke the camels back moment when it went too far.

What’s funny is that it sort of entered local folklore with the cross-eyed, six-toed inbreds, and as stories get progressively changed and exaggerated during Chinese whispers I get told the story back as if I was some Bridges-style avenging anti-racist superhero ninja and it all ended up in a mass brawl

I’m not and it didn’t (I stood up, got a bit shouty, delivered a few home truths, then sat back down and finished my pint and read my Guardian in an absolutely silent pub) but it is quite funny the suspicion I now provoke among the local gammons.

DrJ

Chinese whispers

Burn him!!

grum
    Free Member

What’s funny is that it sort of entered local folklore

I know someone who lives in Ramsbottom, I’ll ask her if she’s heard about it.

binners

I’m absolutely baffled as to why all our resident STW lefties find me having an argument with some gammons in my local boozer a few years ago such an endlessly interesting topic of conversation.

I mean, I always suspected that living such a pious and worthy life must be fairly dull, but it seems I massively underestimated exactly how dull

And on that note, it’s not raining so I’m going to head out on the bike for a bit

I’ll check in later to see if anyone’s friends or relatives have anything insightful to add to this fascinating ongoing tale 😂

ernielynch

I’m absolutely baffled as to why all our resident STW lefties find me having an argument with some gammons in my local boozer a few years ago such an endlessly interesting topic of conversation.

To be fair the story gets better with every time you recall it!

You are now telling us that the fateful day when you had “a massive barney” with everyone down your local pub has now entered local folklore, you never told us that before!

It’s also changing, I don’t know if that’s due to Chinese whispers. In your original story you claimed that you shouted “you’re all bigots” before storming out of the pub, an eyewitness told you afterwards that someone piped up “what’s a bigot?” after you had gone.

Now you’re claiming that after you threw your wobbly you sat back down (presumably you had to stand up to deliver it) finished your pint and read your Guardian in an absolutely silent pub.

Which frankly I find even more hilarious! I have visions of everyone in pub sitting in deathly silence and looking at each other sideways wondering what the Guardian reading nutter is going to do next.

Plus of course the wonderful irony of someone who loses their rag and goes into a spectacular rant in a pub refering to the other punters as “gammons” isn’t lost on me. I can’t be sure what colour your face turned but I have no doubt that your blood pressure went through the roof!

And let’s not forget that the whole incident which you claim has now become the stuff of legends resurfaced because of this comment you made :

I reckon Daz and bridges should join forces and form a new political party with a catchy title reflecting their values and aspirations. Something like “Voters? They’re all ****s! Utter ****ing ****s the lot of you!” 😀

Not a particularly clever comment if you were hoping that your own embarrassing indiscretions would remain forgotten.

binners

Can you just clarify for me why you’re so absolutely obsessed with this incident?

Frankly, it’s all a bit weird

And has @grum had any word from his Ramsbottom sources back to throw any more light on the situation?

Because right now I still can’t get my head around why your devoting your time and energy to forensically analysing a bit of a tif in a pub in the north west of England that happened a few years ago

I gather you’ve been going back through previous posts to ‘fact-check’

Maybe your time might be better spent having a long hard look at your life.

Oh… I had a nice ride, if you’re interested. The trails are drier than I thought they would be. I finished my ride at the brewery for a couple of pints with a couple of mates in the sun, while you were trawling back through pages of a thread about Jeremy Corbyn so you could satisfy yourself with … well… who knows? I haven’t got a clue. 😂

ernielynch

Read what I said, I think story is hilarious, and now you’ve changed the ending it’s even funnier!

I also said that you having a go at a couple of people on here with your “Voters? They’re all ****s! Utter ****ing ****s the lot of you!” made it particularly funny.

Don’t you like people taking the piss binners?

And you would be surprised how little I have to “fact-check” when it comes to your posts. Your daily rants are what makes an otherwise fairly dull and predictable echo chamber interesting, so I tend to pay particular attention to what you post and remember quite a lot.

Other posts tend to converge into a dull beige mass, yours stand out. I bet all the regulars down the Rose and Crown remember your rant on that fateful day!

Yeah I had a very nice ride too today. Although as is usually the case these days it was a club road ride. Down to Tanhouse Farm for coffee and then back to Croydon via Box Hill.

I was leading actually, although to my shame I lost a couple of riders just before Tanhouse, luckily it wasn’t a problem as they knew the way.

Btw did you know that according to Strava Box Hill is the most popular hill climb in THE WORLD?!? That’s a fact that is.

binners

Pfft! It’s not even a proper hill. Why don’t you come up and do the Rake. It takes you not only past the infamous Rose and Crown but also my house. It’s only a 25%. It’s a doddle

I can take you for a pint afterwards at that legendary venue. We can do that thing that they do on Radio 4 where they bring back all the parties involved in seismic world events to revue their part in it

I’ll even throw in a framed print for you, comrade

ernielynch

It’s definitely a hill, that’s why it’s called Box Hill (Box refers to the box trees btw)

But yeah it’s a very easy hill, no doubt about that, well doable for most beginners. There’s plenty harder than Box Hill on the North Downs.

The challenge isn’t the steepness but how fast you can get up it. Today took an exceptionally long time and everyone had to wait for me as about a third of the way up I came across a fledgling crow unable to fly by the side of the road. One of his parents appeared to be on the grassy hillside which would have required him to get up a very steep embankment. So I got off my bike and carried him over so that he could get to his mum/dad. True story that. Surprised he let me do it tbh.

Yeah toying with the idea of driving up to Northumberland to see some friends sometime, so stopping for a drink at the Rose and Crown would be interesting. I would struggle to find a pub full of bigots near me.

Btw did you know that nearly 40% of Londoners, me included, weren’t born in the UK? That’s a fact that is.

binners

Bratislava?

ernielynch

Why are you offering a random European capital?

binners

Papua, New Guinea?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

So, which night does Jeremy have the allotment committee meeting in the Rose and Crown Ramsbottom?

Is Bridges available to book to clear out racists from your local boozer?

Is the Croydon Communist going to do a MNPR from the Rose and Crown?

bridges
    Free Member

Read what I said, I think story is hilarious, and now you’ve changed the ending it’s even funnier!

Lol! So funny. The original ‘story’ had a strong whiff of a beef farm about it already, but seeing Binners fall into a trap entirely of his own making, is true comedy gold. Brilliant. 😀 At least it now means anything Binners claims can be disregarded as ‘made up nonsense’. Good to have that confirmed in writing.

binners

bridges
    Free Member

Bless, Billy. You’ve had a very productive morning. Well done you!

At least Corbyn wouldn’t just sit on his arse and do nothing to actually challenge racism…

dazh

At least it now means anything Binners claims can be disregarded as ‘made up nonsense’.

I’m really confused. Isn’t everything on here made up nonsense? You mean some people say things they actually mean or which actually happened?

Del

I know! There are some people who profess to care deeply and passionately about climate change who jet off on foreign holiday. During a global pandemic. To pick an example at random. Bonkers isn’t it?

dazh

Jesus are you still going on about my holiday? 🙄

Del

😀

stumpyjon

Is this a private thread now? I live quite close to Ramsbottom and know the Rake and the pub in question (never been in), no word of the earth shattering events of a couple of years ago have gotten as far north in the valley as where I am, maybe it’s the altitude.

bridges
    Free Member

the earth shattering events of a couple of years ago

Binners’ imaginary pub rant, or Dazh’s foreign holiday?

Where did you go, dazh?

martinhutch

Jesus are you still going on about my holiday Jeremy Corbyn?

FTFY etc

His brother is the leading light of the family now. 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Can I hear some Shite said Fred?

(Not you Hutchy)

big_n_daft
    Free Member

no word of the earth shattering events of a couple of years ago have gotten as far north in the valley as where I am, maybe it’s the altitude.

Maybe the news is blocked by the diverse clientele in pubs Bridges goes to in Rawtenstall.

martinhutch

Can I hear some Shite said Fred?

I think he burned his bridges with the mods a long time back.

binners

Its like a Benetton advert up in Rawtenstall nowadays

The bus station earlier today….

binners

I think he burned his bridges with the mods a long time back.

The name could be an ironic nod

Makes you think….

johnx2
    Free Member

I live quite close to Ramsbottom

Is Dags a place?

rone

This thread looks like a massive derail to me because Labour are so useless, and there isn’t that much to talk about.

martinhutch

There is already another Labour thread somewhere. This is just for bitter recriminations and back-biting now.

kimbers

I see corbyn has decided to go full putinbot

Viewing 40 posts - 21,281 through 21,320 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.