Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Is the stock answer still Giant Defy?
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

A mate of mine is looking at a road bike up to a grand under one of the cycle to work schemes (yes I’ve tried the search button). Is Giant Defy still the stock answer?

Kryton57

Yes.

Mine’s been a winter / turbo bike for two years now. Nothing has changed, worn gone wrong. I regularly knock out >100k ride confortably on club runs. No foibles.

If it died I’d buy circa £600 defy another straight away.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Cheers Kryton. Hope all is good with you? How’s the 29er?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is the stock answer still giant defy if you fancy a carbon frame?

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you fancy a bike to cover the miles on, sportives etc, and don’t want something too racey, then I think whatever Defy fits your budget is the stock answer.

Is the stock answer still giant defy if you fancy a carbon frame?

Depends. If it’s the lower end carbon I’d probably just get a better spec’d alu frame instead. I’d only go for the carbon if the Advanced or SL was in my budget. (Just checked the website, do they not do the Composite anymore?)

spud-face

I know frankly Dick-all about roadbiking, yet still feel the need to recommend what I’ve got – It’s the stw way. planet x rt58 is ace for the £400 pre-xmas price. gears needed some tuning, but aside from that it’s peachy. with more pennies to spend, I reckon I’d go further up their foodchain – maybe a London Road for all the versatility it offers once it gets superceded as the No.1 bike. Or summink.

s1m0n
    Free Member

Love my 2014 Defy – not missed a beat. Very comfortable ride – carbon seat post on Defy 1 helps. Planning on upgrading wheels soon – don’t see the point on spending loads on a carbon bike when I can (hopefully) benefit more from lighter wheels.

Liked the Giant so much it swayed my decisions when buying a cx bike recently and buying a road bike for the better half.

Rorschach
    Free Member

All carbon Defys are disc brake only now (if that bothers you). Be aware that the stock wheels on the sub £1000 bikes for ’15 (and cannondale synapses especially) are complete bobbins (build quality and parts) .The prices dropped for 2015 and they had to save money somewhere…..and it was there.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, love my 2014 Defy 1.
    I rode from London to Llanberis on it last September and it was perfect.

However, as others have mentioned, the wheels don’t appear to be the best – my rear wheel has needed re-tensioning twice (might because i’m the best part of 100KG though)

New wheels are on the list for this year, but I have no idea what to buy…

Kryton57

Mister P – Member
    Cheers Kryton. Hope all is good with you? How’s the 29er?

Good thanks and I’m loving the Anthem, now lightened by 2lbs. Hopefully the hole(s) in your arm have healed up OK?

mrblobby
    Free Member

now lightened by 2lbs

Wheels? A visit to xcracer shop?

mike_p
    Free Member

Yes, it is. I’m on my second, having sold the first and then regretted it. Go for a Defy 0 for the 11sp Ultegra, it’s a wonderful thing.

The wheels weren’t that good before (the rear was ‘kin heavy), so if they’ve compromised further for 2015 then that’s not good! I upgraded mine to Ultegra immediately and relegated the stock set to trainer duty.

MoreCashThanDash

Got a ’14 Defy 1 and their own mudguards in the sale at Rutland Cycling. Been very impressed. As comfortable as the Roubaix it is replacing, which your friend may like to consider if he is 5’9″…..

Rorschach
    Free Member

Worth paying +£100ish for a set of Aksiums when you buy it (if the shop won’t do it somewhere else will)

Kryton57

Some very good prices for Defy’s here and this

and their own mudguards

– very good.

mrblobby – Member
    now lightened by 2lbs
    Wheels? A visit to xcracer shop?

Yep. I bought some AC Race 29’s, Mt Zoom bars, KCNC post, Quaxar rotors. Bike officially weighed by NJEE at 25.63lbs (a Large). Theres more to/could go in time, for example as the SLX wears and I replace with XT and a few more trick nbits and bobs, QR, pedals etc.

mtbel
    Free Member

There’s a stock answer? 😕
    how bizarre. Seems incredibly blinkered to me.

I went into a local Giant dealer about a year ago looking to replace my old Giant roadbike and the owner spent all of his time trying to convince me to buy a Defy. Thing is, I’d already ridden Defys and found the Medium far too short and the M/L had too long a headtube to get my bars low enough. When I mentioned this his reply was “That’s fine, we can do a *Bike fit* for you” 🙄 When I mentioned the TCR he just seemed to lose interest and went on to tell me the Defy was his best selling bike, had won various tests etc. etc. blah blah blah.. very odd. I can only assume he must have had an excessive amount of Defys to shift.
    I made my excuses took my cash elsewhere and ended up buying a Medium TCR and Couldn’t be happier with it.

I’ve no idea what your mate’s cycle to work scheme entails or what shops do it but if he shops around full Carbon 2014 TCRs with (mainly)105 are available in a few shops discounted to under a grand.

Other brands are available too. I’d suggest trying a few before plumping for a “stock answer”.

Mister-P
    Free Member

This is the kind of info I am looking for, thanks mtbel.

mrblobby
    Free Member

There’s a stock answer?
    how bizarre. Seems incredibly blinkered to me.

I don’t think anyone is saying buy one without question! Just a very good place to start looking and test riding. Not for everyone obviously 🙄

And your local giant dealer sounds a bit crap.

TCR is a brilliant bike too (I have one). Bit sharper than the Defy. I love it but then I like fast race bikes 🙂

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

If it helps anybody at all, I’ve been wrestling with this descision all week and with the kind help of other forum users here : http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-bike-which-would-you-have, I’m ordering the Defy 1 tomorrow.
    It was so nearly the Defy 0 but I’m going to be upgrading the wheels, tyres, bar and saddle regardless but a further £120 for a chainset so I can say I have Ultegra instead of 105 (when the new 105 is so highly regarded) against having another £100 to spend in the shop with my voucher…..Defy 1 for me and I’m comfortable with my choice.

TiRed

Depends what you are looking for. I’d say for 4/5 riders a Defy will be the answer (and have three in the stable from low to highest spec), but…

Want something racier – get a Cannondale CAAD8
    Want something racier and spendier – get an alloy TCR
    Want something racier and even more spendier – get a CAAD10 (Di2 for £1700!)
    Want something carbon – get a Dolan
    Want something carbon and spendier – get a Defy Advanced
    Want something carbon, spendier AND racier – get a Propel
    Want something steel – plenty of choices
    Want something cyclocrossier – get a CAADX and some spare wheels for road.
    Want something Italian – get a De Rosa Milanino
    etc…

But yes, the alloy Defys with 105 kit are a fine first road bike for anyone. You can trundle, sportive, commute and race. The geometry is a great all-round compromise, the headtube not stupid long (see specialized and cannondales) and the wheelbase not touring bike. Head angle is 72.5 degrees, so not race sharp, but sharp enough.

Be aware that the new disk carbon Defys can’t yet take a front mudguard (other than older Raceblade strap on guards) because the fork is not drilled. I have a non-disk Defy Advanced SL, and it is a bike for life. I raced it for a season before buying the Propel.

And Alloy bikes are making a comeback, particularly at the £1000 price point. Giant and Cannondale make the best frames. Carbon is available at this price, but the alloy frames are very very good. Not had issues with Giant wheels, but Cannondale Maddux are rubbish. After a second truing, the CAAD8 rear wheel is confined to turbo duties with the “blue tyre of shame”.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Alloy bikes are making a comeback

Does seem that way. If I was putting together a budget crash friendly race bike now I’d be having a serious look at alu frames like the Kinesis Aithein or Bowman Palace.

TiRed

Di2 CAAD10 must be the bargain race bike of the moment. 10 speed with Ultegra wheels. That is ridiculous value.

mrblobby
    Free Member

That is ridiculous value. Hmm am liking that Bowman, the frame is great value, though maybe not this build!

They have a CX race bike on the way too 8)

benji
    Free Member

Riding a Giant Defy Advanced 3, 2015 flavour, with the discs, rides lovely, so far very impressed with it. Wanted a mileage muncher and not a race bike so fitted the bill perfectly. The seatpost is carbon in a d-section, and is very compliant, taking the edge of some very rough roads.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Di2 CAAD10 must be the bargain race bike of the moment. 10 speed with Ultegra wheels. That is ridiculous value.

Great value yes, but £650 over budget.

TiRed

See the “spendier” caveat above. Most recommendations have to be over budget. This is STW after all. 😉

julians
    Free Member

I asked this question about a year ago, and got the giant defy answer, but then I had a look around and ended up with the previous years Cube Agree GTC for £800.

Seems fine to me, is carbon fibre, has Shimano r500 wheels, Shimano tiagra groupset, feels quite light.

But then I know virtually nothing about road bikes, so if I were you I’d ignore me and go with what the masses suggest.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Love mine, rear wheel went wonky after 5 rides will change the wheels for this summer but other than that I love it.

mishcliff
    Free Member

Hi – I have been following this forum since it was first posted as I am the friend that Mister P refers to in the first post.

A bit of background – I am 42, am reasonably fit, 5’10, c11.5 stone on a good day used to be into MTB’ing (weekends in Lakes/Alps) a while back but never had a road bike. Looking to get a bike again as:

1 I am a runner and my knees are slowly giving up so am looking to get on my bike for an hour c.2-3 time a week plus
    2 My mates are into it so I will be doing a bit at the weekend plus occasional long distance event like a C2C
    3 I work at home so I can use bike to nip out rather than use the car
    4 No plans for racing !

I have taken in everything that everyone has said (many thanks btw) plus all the advice from the 4 or 5 shops I have been to and have narrowed the choice down to three

’15 Defy 0
    ’15 Cube SL Peloton
    ’15 Synapse 105 Disc
    I did also find a ’14 Trek Carbon Madone 4.0 at 879 but I think its a bit too racy for me (v nice though)

TBH – I would be happy with any of them, the Defy was very easy to ride and has a great spec. The Cube just felt right, and has a fantastic spec, but might be a racy for me
    But I am veering towards the Synapse as it just seems a little bit more suited to my requirements, and a bit more flex in terms of havng clearance to fit mudguards, bigger tyres and discs for good braking in winter

I think I have convinced myself… but my God there is some choice out there
    So before I hand over my hard earned Cycle Connect voucher, as anyone got any feedback or maybe something I missed?

Thanks for yor help

H

Mister-P
    Free Member

*waves*

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

The synapse and defy are both cracking bikes your not going to be disappointed with either, both award winning frames.

camster
    Free Member

I took a demo Defy Advanced Pro 0 out for a 100km ride yesterday and was very impressed. I have a Cannondale R2000si which is now about 14 years old. The ‘dale is very good but I’m looking for something with a more forgiving ride and less aggressive geometry. I was definitely less battered by the end on the Giant. I was pretty blown away by the ride quality, handling, braking. I’m now thinking about getting the Pro 1 which is the same less the Di2.

I just need to convince Mrs Camster that another bike is necessary plus sell 3 others!

Sizing wise according to the Giant web site, I am a M (I’m 5’10” 33 inside leg) though I sat on a ML with a 90mm stem and it felt ok. The test bike was a M with. 100mm stem -6deg with the saddle a bit further back which felt ok. I guess only I can answer that though any views welcome!

benji
    Free Member

I’m similar sizing, and ride a M/L, fits me perfectly wouldn’t want a size smaller, there would be an enormous amount of seatpost stuck out.

MoreCashThanDash

Rutland Cycling had a fantastic height/inside leg chart which was spot on for sizing for me when I got my Defy.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Same height 32inch leg, I got a m/l too

camster
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips. The Rutland Cycling guide seems to suggest either M or ML. I think with a 90mm stem the ML would be fine

mtbel
    Free Member

i’m 5’11” (33″ inside leg) and a M Defy is far too short for me. (and if anything my preference is towards a slightly shorter bike than most)

TiRed

And for balance I’m a cm shorter with similar leg length and ride a medium with a 120 mm stem. Fit is perfect and matches my other road bikes. I also ride a medium propel with a 115mm stem and rode a TCR with a 100.

The medium TCR and propel has a 1cm longer top tube with a half a degree steeper head angle. This means a 15mm longer stem will be needed on a like for like position. But I’ve become more flexible and have gone to 120 from the 115 mm.

And I agonised for AGES because mine can’t be taken back (ISP has to be cut to ride it!).

Personally if you are 179 cm or below and of standard proportions, i’d go with a medium and longer stem. It has a nicer handling and racier feel. Bars can still be raised a bit.

EDIT I’m a cm shorter than mtbel, I’m the same height and proportion as the one asking. 90 mm stem is too short. Go medium and play stems. My bottom bracket to saddle top is 74cm and I have 8 cm drop but could go as high as 6cm, no higher without a stem flip.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m a couple of inches shorter than you. All in the legs.

Medium defy is spot on for me, so possibly the ml if you have longer arms.

90mm seems short for a road stem though!

mishcliff
    Free Member

I tried the Giant Defy M and M/L frames. 88or 89 cm inside leg. Found the M too cramped, M/L was def the right frame size

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Is the stock answer still Giant Defy?’ is closed to new replies.