Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Is it practical to use an iPad as a phone?
  • Shakey
    Free Member

I need to replace my Blackberry Torch as I am out of the office most days and whilst it is excellent for emails it doesn’t do much else!

The iPad seems the logical alternative and if I get it I want to use it for everything but is it practical to use it as a phone whilst walking up your local high street? Obviously, I will use a headset or blue-tooth but just want to know what other people are doing.

Thanks Shakey

kayak23

I saw a bloke stood at a bus stop with one once, headphones on… Thought he looked a bit of a tool… IMHO 🙂

binners

BobaFatt
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Free Member

they make an app for that – its called the “iphone”

peterfile
    Free Member

this thread is amazing.

apple wins again 🙂

(typed on my MPB, after much deliberation whether to browse the internet on that or my iPhone) 😉

CountZero

Troll, surely? Hopelessly impractical. I’m not sure you could use it as a phone, unless you put a different SIM in, as it’s a business data SIM that comes with the 3G version. So I guess a regular SIM would work, but you’d look a bit of a tit using it. 😆

derekrides
    Free Member

Skype, the kids live on it, using up all the bandwidth from our steam powered home broadband and they tell me it’s ‘free’ not that they’ve seen the broadband bill at home..

So yes, sort of they get used as communication devices in much the same way, why not if you have it hands free keep it in your ‘man bag’ no one need know – er except all of us of course. 😕

rogg
    Free Member

Did anyone actually read the original post – he’s not suggesting pressing it against the side of his head, he’s going to use a head set or ear piece.

Having said that, when I see people strolling around talking to themselves my first thought is ‘care in the community’ not ‘Bluetooth head set’

trail_rat
    Free Member

ok but then he has to take it out his bag all the time to dial

he also needs a 3g data signal to make calls

there is no actual phone part to the ipad so he would be forced to use skype or the like to make calls – so its certainly not free unless he calls another computer

hora
    Free Member

Why not practice? Just put your face next your computer screen 😀

jota180
    Free Member

Did anyone actually read the original post – he’s not suggesting pressing it against the side of his head, he’s going to use a head set or ear piece.

Anyone that wanders around with a bluetooth ear-piece on is either a Cyborg or has been selected for ‘re-education’ and will be picked up on sight – FACT

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The iPad seems the logical alternative

How did you arrive at this conclusion, bypassing all the many many smart phone options along the way?

hora
    Free Member

Why not go for a Samsung Note?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Saw a guy in a coffee shop using an ipad as a phone, up to his ear (as above). The cityslicker attire didn’t help,but he did look a complete knob…

hora
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you have a nice grease mark on the screen?

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I had that thought as soon I found they came out with 3G. Perfect for those “I’m on the train!” shouty moments. 😆

Shakey
    Free Member

stilltortoise – Member

The iPad seems the logical alternative

How did you arrive at this conclusion, bypassing all the many many smart phone options along the way?

I came to this conclusion as I want an iPhone as it is better than the Blackberry for web browsing and apps. I can also use my remote access software on the iPad and with the larger screen it just seems to be the logical step!

Obviously, I have ignored all Android phones so am open to suggestions for these.

jam-bo

get iphone and ipad. sorted.

tragically1969
    Free Member

If you want an iPad buy and iPad…want a phone buy a phone, they are not really the same thing…..

I would have thought that a £20 PAYG phone from ASDA would be 10x better as a phone than an iPad, which as has already been pointed out doesnt have phone functionality anyway.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Am I missing something, the logical choice to replace a phone is something that isn’t a phone? OK Skype exists and probably some other solutions but then use a laptop or anything else that isn’t a phone? iPhone and wi-fi iPad tethered might be a practical alternative though.
    This can be ignored if an iPad does have phone gubbins in it if course.
    It can also be ignored if you just feel like it 🙂

rugbydick

On my way home last night, I saw someone running through the park using Skype or Facetime for a video call as he was going.

He looked a right cock. But he probably thought the same about me as well..

McHamish
    Free Member

I don’t think iPads have the necessary ‘phone gubbins’ (Tracker, do you work in the telecommunications industry :P) to be used as a proper phone.

I’ve seen someone using one like a phone in a wifi hotspot, but never strolling down the street.

There are apps (probably not used it for this purpose yet), but I suspect some might not work on 3g.

McHamish
    Free Member

On my way home last night, I saw someone running through the park using Skype or Facetime for a video call as he was going.

I bet you were mumbling to yourself “please trip up, please trip up”.

You could have got £25 from Jeremy Beadle (well maybe not him, but whoever the new Beadle is nowadays).

McHamish
    Free Member

If you want an iPad buy and iPad…want a phone buy a phone, they are not really the same thing…..

Actually, I’ve got to make my own dinner tonight as my Wife is going out, i’m not entirely sure where everything is in the kitchen. Can i use my shoe to heat up my food rather than work out where the tupperware is?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

In answer to the OP, I’d say no. Skype on the iPad makes it a possible alternative to a home phone, but as a mobile phone, no. If you want iPad functionality but with a mobile phone, then get an iPhone. You’ll soon splash out for an iPad as well 😀

Tracker1972
    Free Member

McHamish – Member
    I don’t think iPads have the necessary ‘phone gubbins’ (Tracker, do you work in the telecommunications industry :P) to be used as a proper phone.

Not anymore, was for about 11 years… ’twas fixed lines, cable TV and broadband though, which is why you might not recognise my “technical vocabulary” 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Just for clarity (used to sell em for a bit), the iPhone does not have phone capabilities. You would not be able to use it as a phone either when connected to a wifi network, or with a good 3G signal and a data SIM.

Ignoring the fact you’d look a total plonker doing so, it would be hopelessly impractical, as you’d only be able to contact other Skype users for free, anyone on a “normal” phone and you’d start running up a big bill on Skype. And you’d only be able to use it in areas of wifi or good 3G as said already, which is still surprisingly limiting.

Quite simply, get an iPhone. Does everything an iPad does, only it’s smaller, cheaper, and you can make phonecalls with it too! Ingenious…

Oh, and there’s also a Samsung (forget the name) I saw someone using the other day… How it is classed as a “mobile” phone I don’t know, it was about the size of a 7″ Tablet so barely any smaller than an iPad! Ridiculous if you ask me…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Just for clarity (used to sell em for a bit), the iPhone does not have phone capabilities

Erm, methinks you might need a quick edit there mboy.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Think it is clear why mboy gave up selling them, probably not many takers 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Why stilltortoise?

Read this…

Pretty much just says what I said above does it not? With the right app (Skype) you can use it as a phone, but it doesn’t have the conventional mobile phone capabilities of an iPhone, or any other mobile phone for that matter…

mboy
    Free Member

Just for clarity (used to sell em for a bit), the iPhone does not have phone capabilities

Erm, methinks you might need a quick edit there mboy.

Ok, I’ll concede, I should have used the word “conventional” inbetween phone and capabilities.

With the correct app, it has lots of capabilities, but it’s a faff, and it will never be as practical as a conventional phone as there are all sorts of limitations.

nealglover
    Free Member

Just for clarity (used to sell em for a bit), the iPhone does not have phone capabilities.

He he, no wonder that job didn’t last long eh ? :mrgreen:

stilltortoise
    Free Member

mboy, really??? Have you not spotted your faux-pas yet?

nedrapier

mboy
    Free Member

mboy, really??? Have you not spotted your faux-pas yet?

Haha

oooops

😳

Just for clarity (used to sell em for a bit), the iPhone iPad does not have conventional phone capabilities.

Got a 3000 word essay to hand in in a few days, you ok to proof read it for me? 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Got a 3000 word essay to hand in in a few days, you ok to proof read it for me?

I reckon it would take a while 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Is it practical to use an iPad as a phone?’ is closed to new replies.