• This topic has 26 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Inexpensive but good track bikes.
  • shermer75
    Free Member

This’ll be my first and I’m a poor student so trying to keep the costs down. I’m tempted by a Condor as they take time to for the bike to you, making sure tat te stem is the right length etc. their bike cost £950 though, and I was hopping to pay less- somewhere round the £750 mark or even less would do nicely. What’s out there? Any killer bargains?

lunge

Planet X was my first thought, £700 gets you this, no idea if it’s any good or not. If you fit a large this may be even better.

iainc

Dolan. There is a reason why they are so popular 🙂

you can spec out a decent PreCursa for £600

RustySpanner

Fuji Track are lovely.
    £280 from Evans at the mo.

shermer75
    Free Member

Thanks for that! I am definitely a large, so that would be good. In fact, at 6’4″ (193cm) I might be a little too large for even a large Planet X (58cm top tube) or am I talking out of my arse there?

shermer75
    Free Member

That Fuji bike does look lovely and it’s a great price but I’m look to ride semi-competitively so I’m probably going be looking at aluminium or carbon frames…

kbomb
    Free Member

PLanet X’s are great track bikes, plenty of very fast people win lots on them. Track racing isn’t about the bike though, if you’re fast, an old Langster will do the job.

shermer75
    Free Member

Those Dolan bikes look pretty special. There’s an awful lot of choice there with the specs, too. Nice one…

shermer75
    Free Member

Track racing isn’t about the bike though, if you’re fast, an old Langster will do the job.

Agreed, but if I have to buy one anyway I might as well be looking at something that is half decent. Plus you’re assuming that I’m fast!!! 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

Does anybody know which shops sell Dolan bikes so I can go and take a look at them? I’m London based.

crazy-legs

Does anybody know which shops sell Dolan bikes so I can go and take a look at them? I’m London based.

They’re an online retailer. You might get to see some examples of their bikes at the Cycle Show or similar. Otherwise, pop into a velodrome and have a look when there’s a track meet on, probably half the bikes there will be Dolans!

akira

The Hoys look pretty nice in the flesh and start at £600 currently, decent pedigree too.

rockstar101
    Free Member
    TiRed

Dolan Precursa is the standard choice. They are excellent and I have one. That said, they are not “Track bikes” in the sense that their geometry is really road bike 73-degree parallel. I also have a carbon Dolan Seta and it is a wonderful bike with slightly steeper head angle (read faster steering). Unavailable now, I bought it used for £600. Track bikes are always worth looking for second hand as they have a reasonably easy life.

Look for a used Dolan Track Champion if you can find one. Size slightly smaller than a road bike. How big are you?

shermer75
    Free Member

Nice one, thanks TiRed! I’m 6’4″ (193cm)

aether531
    Free Member

Have a look at the classifieds on the LFGSS forum. Loads of track bikes and bits for sale. The Dolans are a good price and you can spec it to get a decent chainset etc. A clubmate of mine has a Fuji (TK2 I think) and its a nice bike. Probably get one of them within budget 2nd hand

crazy-legs

Have a look at the classifieds on the LFGSS forum. Loads of track bikes and bits for sale.

Just make sure that they are actual track bikes and not hipster fixies.
    Track geometry is pretty specific and you don’t want to end up with something that handles like a dog on the boards because it’s designed to be ridden through Shoreditch with 200mm flat bars…

The Hoys look pretty nice in the flesh and start at £600 currently, decent pedigree too.

One of the Hoy track bikes got marked down in a review as the geometry was very much “what Chris Hoy would ride” rather than “what would normal people and beginners ride”.
    I’ve never tried one myself though.

As TiRed says, you won’t go wrong with a Dolan Track Champion and I’d through in a vote for the Felt track bikes too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dolan Precursa is the standard choice. They are excellent and I have one. That said, they are not “Track bikes” in the sense that their geometry is really road bike 73-degree parallel.

They are actual track bikes rather than hipster fixies though – I’ve got one, it has no brake drillings. Also meets track requirements as they are the hire bikes at Newport too. Very stiff, not sure I’d want to ride it far on the road!

iainc

any excuse for a piccy 🙂

it’s had a new saddle and retaped since that picture……

[/url]P1010077 by iain.clow, on Flickr[/img]

molgrips
    Free Member

When my Dolan frame arrived in matt black with shiny black forks and decals, my wife immediately said ‘ooh, that’s beautiful’ and wasn’t being sarcastic or anything. This makes me feel good about it 🙂

Best thing about track bikes is they stay looking gleaming shiny new too!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There’s also things like BB height, some tracks have a minimum height to prevent you from gouging your pedals on the track whilst going slowly.

iainc

^^^ also, cranks will be generally limited to 165mm or so

Best thing about track bikes is they stay looking gleaming shiny new too!

– very much so, I haven’t ever lubed my chain I don’t think, since it was built up with the factory lube.

TiRed

Precursa has the same geometry as my Paddy Wagon. You can also buy the same frame to ride on the road with eyelets and brake drillings as the FXE. It is a good beginners track bike with neutral (for track) handling, which is why Newport hire them. I like mine but the Seta is a kilo lighter, stiffer and generally nicer, so it’s been passed onto Teen 1. Most proper fixed wheel bikes will have the necessary raised BB, but things like brake bosses have to be taped over (I’ve ridden my Paddy Wagon at Herne Hill). Flip flop (i.e., double sided threaded) hubs are generally frowned upon too. A second sprocket is a no-no on the boards.

My steel Poyner is 74 degrees and riding it on the road is nerve-racking! It’s a dream on the track in a flexy 531 kind of way.

MrSmith
    Free Member

never seen anyone win at track league on one (maybe because nobody rides one 🙄 ). most people have dolans especially the sprinters.

kerley
    Free Member

A Precursa is a great starting bike for the money £449. I even found the navigator wheels pretty good too.

The frames and forks are made well enough (I used one as my sole bike for over two years on road and off road so can vouch for that)

shermer75
    Free Member

This is all great info! Thanks for this! What kinds of gear ratios are people riding?

iainc

Mine is a 49 15, which is slightly higher than the hire ones at Glasgow that I started on. I am old and slow though. And don’t compete.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Inexpensive but good track bikes.’ is closed to new replies.