Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Impressive service Snow+Rock (ski content)
  • Woody
    Free Member

Went to S+R in Gateshead to get some bindings swapped from old to new skis (bought elsewhere) and was very impressed with the service. Not only did they swap them, they changed the brakes to fit the wider new skis, then detuned the tips and tail and finished it off very nicely along with some binders to hold the skis together. All for the same price as a standard fitting!

Didn’t get the guy’s name but he’s an Aussie who rides at Swinley and visits STW occasionally.

So if he’s on here, thanks very much 😀

GrahamS

They get a bad press but I’ve used the Gateshead one a few times and they’ve always been really helpful.

Just wish the SCUK discount worked there – no point in buying from them when I get 10% off at Boardwise and TSA.

Woody
    Free Member

It makes a nice change when you get someone who knows what they are talking about. He’s a boarder too but knows his ski’s and I assume he’s only up here to train staff.

I’ll definitely be going back there to get new custom boot liners or footbeds as my boots are 10 years old, which hasn’t bothered me too much as I’ve been mainly boarding for the last 8 years.

Do you ever go up to Swinhope?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How much did they charge though?

Woody
    Free Member

£20

GrahamS

Do you ever go up to Swinhope?

Nah. Thought about going to Allenheads which is a bit closer to me but those roads are a mare in the snow.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I find that S&R staff are very well trained…… 🙂

They have some top people, and the guy in charge of their ski training, despite being Scotchish, is a great bloke. Who had Sweetabix for breakfast. 🙂

To add a little more, if you’re in London, Neil and Chris in Kensington are awesome bootfitters. Oh, and, Neil…. yer mum. 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

Got my boots from there Captain and a rather fetching Degre7 suit for the ex. Boots and footbeds have lasted 10 years, so I’d tend to agree they are good, if they were there that long ago.

Never been to Allenheads but Swinhope is a little nearer and I think the runs are longer/steeper. Roads are even worse but at £35 a year it’s worth it even if you only get a couple of days.

mugsys_m8
    Free Member

I had the Sheffield shop fit some touring bindings for me. I had to fill in loads of disclaimers saying I was not going to sue them. Sad situation if you ask me.

legend
    Free Member

Boots and footbeds have lasted 10 years,

You need new boots

doh
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    I find that S&R staff are very well trained……

not when i have been in, asked for a metal scraper at a few of their stores and been looked at like i had just requested some bum sex, also treated the same. almost as bad as ellis brigham :?. for some reason the urban dwelling walking/climbing/skiing/boarding market will pay them money for mainly crap products service and advice

doh
    Free Member

Woody – Member
    It makes a nice change when you get someone who knows what they are talking about. He’s a boarder too but knows his ski’s and I assume he’s only up here to train staff.

I’ll definitely be going back there to get new custom boot liners or footbeds as my boots are 10 years old, which hasn’t bothered me too much as I’ve been mainly boarding for the last 8 years

errmm. are your board boots/linings/footbeds custom? the world has changed quite a lot.
    most half decent boots either ski or board have been using heat mould foam tech for several years, ie wear them for a few hours and they mould to your foot shape. buy yourself a new set of boots if needed but please dont pay for all the custom guff unless you really cant get a good fit after a couple of days. (custom fit inners cost more than a half decent pair of new boots)

Woody
    Free Member

Legend/doh

Has boot design advanced that much? I haven’t kept up with new developments for quite a few years as I’ve been mainly boarding.

My boots are Salomon Equipe, which IIRC was the model below ‘race’ and are a damn good boot, with decent stiffness. I had custom footbeds made when I first bought them and they have done around 80-100 days skiing with no issues at all.

They still look and feel ok and the reason I was considering getting new footbeds or liners was that I assumed my feet/legs will have changed over 10 years and £40 or so was worth it even for just another season.

Don’t know if I can justify (or need) to spend £300 + new ones this year but These look nice and are cheap as they are last years model. Wonder if they’ll fit? Hmmmmmm 8)

legend
    Free Member

My other half’s much better at this, but she’s at the London ski show this week (obviously)

100 days skiing could well be enough to see them pretty dead
    10 years will have seen materials degrade
    Yup there have been a lot of changes to fit, materials and construction over the years (this would be where she’d help me out)

It’s like bike stuff, if you think you might need something then you definitely do 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Doh, sorry to hear that. Which stores, and was it recent? I can pass feedback if needed….

Re boots, they’re a little like bike helmets. You can wear a ten year old one/pair, but not really advised! I expect my current pair (Salmon Impact 120CS, heat molded and custom footbeds, natch) to last three to five years. Which is as long as I expect my helmets to last, too.

Woody
    Free Member

It had never occurred to me that it would be a safety issue, as the boot would have to disintegrate, which I would have thought is extremely unlikely. Even if a couple of buckles pop it’s no big deal as I won’t be in back-country Alaska.

Seems like a good excuse for shiny new things though 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

10 year old boots is not an issue, dependant on the useage they have had, and you can feel when they are starting to loose their flex characteristics.

However a comfy boot that fits you well is still second to none over a newer boot that doesnt fit so well.

Custom liners are still the way to go if you want ultimate fit. These modern moulding inners are ok for recreational skiing but not for racing or if you like a really good fitting boot. Personally these days I’d sooner get a lower range softer flexing boot and a custom foam liner (which will stiffen it back up) than pay mega bucks for a racing boot that will come with a crappy moulding liner thing.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Impressive service Snow+Rock (ski content)’ is closed to new replies.