Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • If I buy a felt bush hat will I look like a …
  • MoreCashThanDash

Tilley hat for the win.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Not so bad if you are in the bush I suppose. Round UK streets a bit silly looking, each to their own and all that.

We look pretty daft in MTB gear, mushroom helmet, man leggings and mixed florescent colours!

newrobdob
    Free Member

I just wish I could get a hat that fitted me.

My head is absolutely massive. Nothing of any use in it though, pah!

bencooper
    Free Member

What’s wrong with leather? I’ve got a distressed buffalo one which is great, pretty battered by now but still comfy and keeps the rain off.

I do get Glasgow urchins calling me Indiana Jones, but that’s not a bad thing.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Hats are awesome – I have a selection!

Go for it – felt, leather, cotton… even straw at a push… all good. But for the real shiz then it has to be fur felt.

(I have an authentic Indie hat from the folks that made the ones for the film… but I was an archaeologist once so it is kinda allowed!)

jambalaya
    Free Member

No ! Very practical, warm and fairly water proof.

In fact I quite like the one in your original post

WildHunter2009

I have a Barmah foldable suede bush hat, but in my defence I do live in Australia and I do spend a lot of time in the actual bush. Also its ruddy sunny! Less excuses for my flat cap but I love it so who cares.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Hehe ‘felt bush’ hehe

integerspin
    Free Member

I was given a hat like in the pic above a few years ago.
    I spend all day in a unheated workshop and I wear that hat in the winter.

funkmasterp

Go wild and get a pith helmet.

PePPeR

Another vote for a Tilley hat here, I have a couple of them and they’re brilliant.

Pigface
    Free Member

Where are we on one of these?

onehundredthidiot

Wish I could post a picture of “bush tucker man”

trail_rat
    Free Member

Waxed cotton Tilly here as well.

Hat of choice for days in the hill, rainy days at the racing.

Not so much for in town.

deadslow

Given the OP is camping in spring that means only one thing is certain…rain. In which case the most sensible option is an Ortieb rain hat.

I am sure he can make it look good!

scud
    Free Member

NOOOO!

I live in West Norfolk and a lot of property along the coast near Wells, Holkham and Burnham Deepdale is being bought up a second homes by Londoners, very easy to sport them as they are the ones walking around in those hats, full length “stockmans” Barbour and tweed as that’s what people in the countryside where to them. Usually coupled with a couple of blond teenagers in two wearing Joules or a polo shirt saying them play elephant polo or similar!

bodgy
    Free Member

It’s kind of going to depend on whether it suits you, and what you wear it with. I have a Tilley hat for walking the dogs in the rain (keeps the rain off my glasses, which is nice) but I ABSOLUTELY DEFINITELY would not wear it in public or into town.

sbob
    Free Member

If you’re asking STW for advice on style or fashion than you probably already look like a…
    Feel free to get the hat to remove any doubt though. 😆

slowoldman

I like hats but look daft in anything other than a wooly ski hat. You could use the Aussie hat at that Dress to Impress party.

cinnamon_girl

That Canadian Winter hat posted by CountZero looks terrific, off to check the Tilley website.

derek_starship
    Free Member

You will look like a right know-it-all dicksplash.

ratherbeintobago

More people should wear hats.

Is it 1953?

RustySpanner

No, it’s winter.
    Hats are a good thing.

Most of the time.

cinnamon_girl

Real men wear hats:

edhornby

clipper247
    Free Member

http://www.tarphat.co.uk/products/1/wide-brim-tarp-hats/

Got one of these for walking the dogs in the rain, but used it all over the place and it always comes with me on holidays as a sunhat.

I’d seriously recommend one

bodgy
    Free Member

Perhaps you could come down next year and have a reccy?

http://www.bridporthatfest.org

teasel
    Free Member

That Canadian Winter hat posted by CountZero looks terrific

Sure does… if you’re a witchfinder general.

kcr
    Free Member

I just wish I could get a hat that fitted me

I had the same problem, but Tilley have a huge range of sizes; they’ll sort you out. I’ve got a hemp Tilley. Great bit of kit and well worth the money. I assume I look like an unfashionable old man in it, but I bought it to keep the sun and rain off my head, which it does very well, so I’d happily wear it anywhere. It even works for riding the bike, which a lot of brimmed hats can’t handle.

epicyclo

Wear it.

The scorn of the narcissistic fashionistas is nothing to a real man. 🙂

I took mine with me from Oz. Great for keeping the rain off glasses, and even better in snow, but trouble is there’s too much wind here.

Andy

Bush Tucker Man hat was oarsumz 😀

scaredypants

you know “bush hat” is authentic ‘strayan rhyming slang, right ?

“…just say what you see…”

The well dressed gentleman can never have enough hats in his wardrobe.

Get it.

You’ll probably have to drive over it a few times to give it a suitably weathered look though.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘If I buy a felt bush hat will I look like a …’ is closed to new replies.