Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • I think my XTR clutch is broken…pics
  • will1991
    Free Member

Evening,
    A few weeks ago my XTR shadow plus mech instantly became much stiffer in feel at the lever.

Today I opened it up because I’m a bit fed up with it and tried loosening the clutch off which has no affect. What I noticed was this…

…if you look closely you can see that something has cracked/snapped and I feel this may be the culprit, can anybody confirm that it should indeed not be snapped like this?

Assuming it is broken, what do people reckon to warranty claims with Rose?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Will

PS. I know it looks mucky in there, should’ve cleaned the bike before taking the cover off!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Best mail them I guess…

somafunk

Every time you removed the rear wheel did you remember to switch the clutch mechanism off beforehand?, that looks suspiciously like what happens if you force the mech to move whilst removing the rear wheel from the frame.

will1991
    Free Member

Yes, definitely swithched it off to remove the wheel. Rarely take the wheel out at all.

singlespeedstu

The plate shouldn’t have a crack in it but I can’t see how that would make the shifting stiffer.

If anything it should have released a bit of tension in the clutch band making shifting easier.

I’d say the muck/rust on the clutch drum thingumy would be making it stiffer.

somafunk

In that case i suspect the lower cage of the mech has been subjected to a whack at some point forcing it to move despite the clutch being applied, but like stu says that is just the clutch stop tab and if it is loose the shifting should be slightly easier?. Lube everything and try shifting.

v666ern
    Free Member

Are you sure those 2 red circles are supposed to be loose?

teasel
    Free Member

^ 🙂

But seriously, having just had a good look at mine (off the bike) and cross-referencing with the docs I’ll link to, I’d say it’s the rusted part that’s caused your problem.

Although THIS doc doesn’t give any schedule, it would be safe to say that it probably requires a re-lube fairly frequently if being used in mucky conditions. If you have a look at parts 5 and 15 of THIS doc it uses the term seal and packing respectively, which to me suggests that what I thought was a seal of the service cap is simply packing to stop what I presume would be an annoying rattle if assembled without it.

Anyway, I think water can get in via the pivot shaft, possibly even through the p-seal (I’d have to dissassemble to be sure) if it becomes submerged. Regular, preventative maintenance is definitely something to consider with this particular component IMO.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

cheers bud you are right

stevemtb
    Free Member

There’s an off button???

I’ve got one of these and had no idea at all. Haven’t had the rear wheel off yet fortunately so at least I found out in time!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘I think my XTR clutch is broken…pics’ is closed to new replies.