Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • I N L A W S at Christmas
  • tomaso
    Free Member

Yes its that time of year when we celebrate by spending time with people we can’t stand and that can’t stand us – yes the mother in-law, sister in-law etc etc.

I have a repieve this year with an inlaw free Christms Day, but they are coming on Boxing Day 😯

My main strategy for coping is to be the good son in-law and hit the kitchen hard and cook, wash up and generally be busy and avoiding the need to be remotely sociable :mrgreen:

everyone
    Free Member

Urgh I have to deal with the infantile step father again. My tactic (same as every year) is to be a model guest, not proffer my opinion on anything, not rise to any bait etc.

Tomorrow however I’ll be on the champagne all day with my mum so anything could happen.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, Nasty Monster-in-law + idiotic sister-in-law coming for Christmas lunch..

The Nasty Monster-in-law has already p****d me off over this by threatening to bring her own turkey when I mentioned that I was going to give it a miss this year, and cook something different. (I hate turkey, my wife is a veggie, my kids have already had multiple Christmas dinners at School/etc)

The idiotic sister-in-law just annoys me with her total failure to discipline her 8 year old son, who is fast becoming a total monster + her constant bullying of my wife into helping her look after the monster child.

I’ve just come back from 3 days at Disneyland with wife/Kids, so Christmas is done for me anyway.

Happy days..

drlex
    Free Member

Dissenting voice here: I’m without parents and get on very well with the Outlaws. This year it’s a nice break, as they’re hosting and I’ve just taken over a contribution for the drinks selection tomorrow to help cover the 11 – 7 session.

Wishing everyone here the best possible Christmas/Festivus/Hannukah/Kwanzaa/whatever!

wors

It’ll soon be boxing day 😆

tomaso
    Free Member

Last year this thread was a form of therapy! :mrgreen:

midlifecrashes

MIL has been here since Monday. She’s said the “don’t pay road tax” classic while complaining of cyclists coming through her village.

Still, two new patios will be nice when summer comes round…

binners

Just get really. really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really pissed!

Then wake up tomorrow with a hazy recollection of an some shouting, and everyone glaring at you.

Since getting divorced I find I no longer have to dread christmas, and putting up with my awful lemon-sucking, sour-faced, whining, tutting MIL, and her bland, anodyne, patronising, bigoted Daily Mail reading ‘conversation’, and her belief that having more than one small sherry made you an alchoholic! And my FIL (who was actually an ok, long suffering bloke) surreptitiously raiding my lager stash while trying to make it look like he wasn’t constantly topping his glass up. Christ! If I’d put up with her all my life, I’d be drinking heavily too! Poor bastard! 😀

footflaps

I like my inlaws, they’re staying with us for 4 days over xmas….

thegreatape
    Free Member

I have lovely inlaws, so I don’t know, but surely you can have a good couple of days sport winding these bastards up? Just out bastard them.

TiRed

Mine are here already and the (pre-)Christmas dinner is in the oven. Industrial quantities of sausage meat dog food are ready.

dknwhy

Well, we did the honourable thing and had a massive argument with the in-laws a few months back which has resulted in everyone not speaking and a Christmas off. Winner!

ThePinkster

I used to get on really well with my in-laws before they both died, and siblings wives/husbands also really good company, as is Mrs. Pinkster’s brother’s family (their son can be a bit of demon spawn but we don’t see them too much anyway as they live in the Philippines).

Never really understood this problem with them. Perhaps I’ve just been really lucky know folks who just want to get along?

Have a good few days of celebrating folks, you know you love it really. 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

I showed my inlaws the Christmas photos of them where they’d stayed with us for a week. They had absolutely no recollection of coming.

I just need to reprint the photobook with a different date from now on… 😈

ElShalimo

I’m really, really, really convinced that Binners gets his inspiration from this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG451H-wero[/video]

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Tom,
    You lucky, lucky, b&$7&£d!!!
    Mine arrived yesterday and are staying until the weekend 😥

bigG
    Free Member

My father in law passed away this year, he was a top bloke and thoroughly enjoyed a glass of red wine with me at Christmas. I’ll miss the old bugger, he was a legend.

Be thankful you have family to share Christmas with, and don’t let your dislike and negativity take over. It’s Christmas, the season of goodwill to everyone after all.

Hope you all have a great Christmas, may your stuffing be tasty and your bird juicy.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Mine live on a little Greek Island with a poor internet connection so a glitchy skype chat is the worst of it 😀

rOcKeTdOg

In laws are what Kalashnikovs were invented for

tang
    Free Member

Just waved mine off.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have the slightly detached situation of having Crimbo dinner at friends with one set of parents (his) and seeing female half subjected to her mother-in-law’s passive aggression and be patronised by father-in-law about the health of our babies. It’s gonna be awesome. 😀

farm-boy

Staying with the in laws for a week. There will be 28 of us in all here.

Things got off to a tasty start today when one lot turned up 3.5 hours late for Christmas Eve drinks and supper. And then the old dog choked to death on a bone in front of the eleven assembled grand children. You couldn’t make this stuff up.

No pressure on me tomorrow; I am in charge of roasting a whole pig for the masses. Just hoping that not too many of aforementioned grandchildren recognise it as Polly who they have been feeding scraps to for the past 9 months.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Farmboy is your surname Griswold?

tomd
    Free Member

MiL is staying with us for two weeks. It’s pretty good tbh, she has really traditional values and gives the wife a hard time for letting me do any cooking and cleaning.

GregMay
    Free Member

We live across the sea from ours, but have a mate staying for 10 days. Should be fun as we’ve quite a lot of climbing and hill walking planned 🙂

sands
    Free Member

tomaso – Member
    Last year this thread was a form of therapy!

Coincidentally, I re-read that thread this morning.

INLAWS (2013)

My vote for the 2013 win:

oldschool – Member
    “Ha amateurs the lot of you. We pulled up at the outlaws, got the dog out who had a pee (only a pee and still outside). MIL not happy flailing arms, shaking if the head at the window. Back in the car and home, not even 1 word spoken and we’ve fallen out.”

zippykona

Not inlaws but The Northeners. They will insist on watching anything with **** Miranda in it even though they are recording it at home. Then moan about whatever weather we have and for some unknown reason use millions of toilet rolls in the process.
    **** off.

robdob
    Free Member

You’re all lucky. I get to spend Christmas with Peterpoddy 😉 😉 😉

EDIT I don’t know why people visit family or allow family to visit that they don’t like. Why bother? I just can’t see the benefit in it. If they can’t behave like normal human beings towards their own family then i wouldn’t want to spend time with them. Especially at Christmas, which I love and want to be special for me and my wife. Visit another time for a shorter period or when the weather is nice so you can get away if you want to.

Bregante

Not inlaws but The Northeners

This year we are the Northern invaders who have brought chaos and strong beer to the southern shandy drinking masses in the south east.

So far my M-I-L has:
    1. argued with my wife about what time our children will be allowed to open presents.
    2. got the hump with me because I won’t be going to church with them this evening.
    3. told us all that we couldn’t leave the house this morning because we were to gather round the computer to take a Skype call from the B-I-L from Australia. And then got very upset when the call came when she was in the shower and they needed to keep it brief as they were going out.

It’s not even her house that we’re staying at but the sister in laws!
    She means well but……

Aaarggrrrgghhhhhhhhagaghhhhhhhhhhgh

Moe

24/7 365 Shift work is often a blessing! 😀

MoreCashThanDash

Christmas Day at my folks, then they are coming round here for Boxing Day, so MrsMC will be posting on here then. The two women I love the most really don’t get on, makes my life hell.

Next week MrsMC is taking the kids down to her folks. We get on OK, but having to split our holidays to cover the school holidays means I have to stay at home. With my bikes and a lot of beer.

vonplatz
    Free Member

I am inflicting my family on my other half but she seems to enjoy it and talks to them more than I do!

pedropete

I’m staying with my MIL in Spain & she is just the best & treats me like a king. Rather here than anywhere else. Mmm tapas & vino tinto every day. 8)

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Mine are over from the USA. Staying til New Year.
    Good so far. Me and the father in law just been out for a roof down blast down some back roads in the MX5, and are off to the local brewery bar shortly.

tomaso
    Free Member

Although we escape inlaws on the big day we are having Interfering Jim, our octogenarian neighbour with dementia round for lunch. Otherwise he’d be all alone for Christmas and that is about as christian as I get!

Looking forward to Saturday 27th and hopping on train to Staveley for some mountain bike action followed by a session in the brewery and a wobble home on the train. Although the weather is looking cold and wet with sleet forecas, so may not be going up on top.

vickypea
    Free Member

I like my in-laws, but my ex-in laws were a mare. I cooked Christmas dinner for 8 a few times, and my MIL after arriving at our house, would walk straight from the car and into the kitchen and start poking into my cooking and disapproving of EVERYTHING and tried to force me to do the roast potatoes in her deep fat fryer- even brought the fryer with her after I said I didn’t want or need it!

zippykona

pedropete – Member
    I’m staying with my MIL in Spain & she is just the best & treats me like a king. Rather here than anywhere else. Mmm tapas & vino tinto every day.

He’s not wrong! Feliz Navidad.

Houns

I can’t wait to get to the Inlaws tomorrow night. Love them to bits and they are like best friends, no doubt a food fight will happen.

However I’m not looking forward to a day with my miserable parents

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Spending xmas with a puppy or a kitten is a million million way better than thoughts of inlaws visiting on xmas 😕 (Cannot find a vomiting emoticon)

I am married ..but inlaws i did not signed up for that shit! So yah im inlaw free xmas for life 😀

project
    Free Member

Customer told me they look forward to christmas, to see who will arrive or phone, as they usually only keep up with each on via Jeremey Kyle,and similar programes along with Crimewatch,caught on camera etc, they tried for benefits street, but failed as they dont get benefits due to income from fees from the tv shows etc, and being in and out of prison.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘I N L A W S at Christmas’ is closed to new replies.