Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • I hate cyclists mk1
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So today we’re heading out for a family walk. Driving over the tops in the car, narrow country lane, come round a corner, 100 yds ahead two mountain bikers riding abreast chatting away. No probs I think, they’ll drop in line as I approach, nope, stay two abreast I go into the verge put my hand up In a wtf manner and receive a mouthful of abuse. Nice one fellas, let’s improve relations with the driving community.

bearnecessities

This can only go well.

tomhoward

This will end well.

Edit, beaten to it!

legend
    Free Member

I saw worse when cyclists refused to give an inch to a bus, therefore putting a bus full of cyclists in a ditch

scaredypants

should’ve mowed the bastards down

(then maybe shouted that you were a lone woman in distress)

rocketman
    Free Member

Riding back from the Chase today. Narrow lane, two of us, car wishing to overtake. We ride single file and pull right over, car overtakes safely, cheery wave.

Next corner, three Altura-clad bell ends on touring bikes riding three abreast, right across the lane, talking. Car brakes. We brake. Bell ends continue riding three abreast. Car has to stop. We stop. Bell ends finally assume single file.

Fricken cyclists

eviljoe
    Free Member

OP you are Jeremy Clarkson in disguise and I claim my free Range Rover hands free kit and sub to the d**ly m**l 😀 😀

STATO
    Free Member

I saw worse when cyclists refused to give an inch to a bus, therefore putting a bus full of cyclists in a ditch

See i dont get stuff like this. When i cycle i dont assume anyone will move for me, so would always be prepared to stop or move out the way. Why when someone (even a ‘im a cyclist too’) is driving do they carry on regardless then have to make a panic move like veering into a ditch or verge? Yes in both these cases the cyclists were clearly d***s but how does the driver end up in a ditch/verge, why not just stop earlier?

STATO
    Free Member

We brake. Bell ends continue riding three abreast. Car has to stop. We stop. Bell ends finally assume single file.

Good example of safe driving when faced with, in this case 3 stubborn roadies. No cars ended up in a ditch.

wrightyson
    Free Member

What upset me the most was the mrs saying (as I ride in the exact same area) what was wrong with that ****, go you behave like that when out in the road. I genuinely stopped and wanted to give it the whole “I ride bikes too, you’re giving us a bad name” speech etc.
    He probably just saw us as the typical stereotype family out in their estate car clogging up the country roads!

aracer
    Free Member

and you weren’t?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yeah we went out, walked half a mile then decided we needed a pub lunch, told all our friends about our countyrside adventure, posted it on twatter book got 4 likes then rushed back home to watch dancing on ice…
    What do you reckon aracer, standard?

chvck
    Free Member

What would you have done if it was slow tractor?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Oh and this should’ve gone on chat mods as a little opposite to tons anti car thread.

wrightyson
    Free Member

What bearing does a tractor have on mr abusive mountain biker? I’d have done exactly the same as I did , slowed down moved over and mr tractor would’ve probably put his hand up in a jovial manner and said thanks for that.

Jamie
    Free Member

What would you have done if it was slow tractor?

I would have questioned why they were driving tractors 2 abreast.

bigG
    Free Member

Rather the waving your hands at them did you think to stop and have a word expressing how outraged you were at their lack of consideration? Or was it easier just to have a nice wee rant to make yourself feel better?

Suck it up princess, some cyclists feel safer riding two abreast. It’s not illegal.

tomhoward

A tractor takes up a lane, moves at 20mphish. Much like cyclists riding 2 abreast. Still gonna drive onto the verge to overtake then whinge on the internet about what a **** the farmer was?

*Suspects op expected this to go differently….*

I laughed at a woman who basically had the same rant as the op, but finished it with:

‘And, worst of all, once I’d overtaken them, they were both smiling!!’

legend
    Free Member

See i dont get stuff like this. When i cycle i dont assume anyone will move for me, so would always be prepared to stop or move out the way. Why when someone (even a ‘im a cyclist too’) is driving do they carry on regardless then have to make a panic move like veering into a ditch or verge? Yes in both these cases the cyclists were clearly d***s but how does the driver end up in a ditch/verge, why not just stop earlier?

Bus comes round bend on fireroad, bus needs momentum for the next bit of road, cyclists start heading towards bus, sort of looking like they’re going to give room then dont bother. Bus has to move to the side as they obviously aren’t going to try to go around, bus slides off fireroad and into ditch.

martinhutch

Why didn’t you just stop on the lane leaving a single cyclist gap? Tends to make the point. I might pull onto the verge if it was a tractor coming the other way, but there’s really no option apart from that or reversing to gate openings.

EDIT: Read OP as meeting riders head-on, rather than overtaking. If you have to hit the verge to overtake any riders, regardless of how inconsiderate they are being, it isn’t best practice, isn’t it?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Perhaps they felt if they didn’t ride two abreast you’d try to squeeze past in a twatish dangerous fashion?

grum
    Free Member

Suck it up princess, some cyclists feel safer riding two abreast. It’s not illegal.

Driving over the tops in the car, narrow country lane

Highway code, rules for cyclist 66

You should:

* keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
    * keep both feet on the pedals
    * never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s a mystery why so many people hate cyclists. It really is.

No, hang on, it isn’t.

It’s a shame the mythical cycling community can’t encourage its ruder members to stop being such arsehats.

jamj1974

Rather the waving your hands at them did you think to stop and have a word expressing how outraged you were at their lack of consideration? Or was it easier just to have a nice wee rant to make yourself feel better?

And this is where the issue is ‘princess’. A lack if consideration in any situation causes problems. In this case the cyclists are clearly at fault. We all make mistakes – being on a bike doesn’t make that any less likely. (Edited as a little unclear!)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Suck it up? What when folk constantly bitch on here about inconsiderate drivers? I fortunately do both so have a reasonably balanced view. He had no intention of moving, and when I say pootling they were doing all of 5 mph. Bloke was weaving around they were going that slow and they were coming towards us. Just a complete tool who unfortunately causes many of the problems other sensible considerate riders have to endure daily.

scaredypants

there’s a few narrow roads where I ride, with pretty rough “margins” (they’re sort of half-paved) that wouldn’t take a road wheel and I doubt they’re much fun in a car.

I haven’t really come to it yet as I ride alone and haven’t met a big enough vehicle but I do have the view that all I need to progress on that road is my own side of it; if they won’t use the margin and so need both sides they can **** well wait ’til it’s convenient.

… mind, that attitude may have to be tempered by the fact that half of them (when oncoming) don’t seem to look at the road at all – it’s the new forest, see, and there’s horses and everything !

Jamie
    Free Member

I feel this is going to turn into a multi-page behemoth, but surely it would have been reasonable for the guys on the bikes to just go into single file, for a brief moment, as the car passed?

People do realise you’re no less off a man/cyclist to occasionally give way to a motor vehicle?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Thankyou Jamie. And it was genuinely posted as an opposite opinion to tons post on hating cars, that should have gone on to the chat side.

bearnecessities

Jamie, stop being so sensible. Apparently the internet is no place for reasonable, considered and measured responses.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie, stop being so sensible. Apparently the internet is no place for reasonable, considered and measured responses.

YOU SHUT YOUR DIRTY MOUTH! YOU’RE HISTORY’S GREATEST MONSTER!

/order restored

rogermoore

People do realise you’re no less off a man/cyclist to occasionally give way to a motor vehicle?

Makes right turns a bit boring though…
    RM.

scotroutes

Surely all you had to do was stop and then they’d have had to go into single file to get past you?

Bloody inconsiderate of them to make you do that but at least you would have avoided the ditch

Jamie
    Free Member

Makes right turns a bit boring though…

brakes
    Free Member

I can’t wait for the next thrilling installment in mk2

bearnecessities

/order restored

You have an unnecessary “you” in there and you missed an [order restored] at the start of your post. It’s this kind of crap that’s causing obesity.

Wanna fight? I’m up for it.

*falls asleep*

user-removed
    Free Member

I would have questioned why they were driving tractors 2 abreast.

[video]http://youtu.be/LgrQD-5el88[/video]

Jamie
    Free Member

Genuine lolz.

What a loveable donut….heh

wrightyson
    Free Member

Keeerraazzyy!
    Priceless, not seen that one for a long time!

bearnecessities

“**** him, I’m going for it, I’m going for it” 8)

cloudnine
    Free Member

Most of the time it’s best to let things go. Congratulate yourself that you didn’t kill or unnecessarily endanger anyone’s life and smile. Smiling confuses people.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘I hate cyclists mk1’ is closed to new replies.