Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Hope T Rex and XT RM clearance (Not! Arrrghhhh!)
  • mattjg
    Free Member

Hi, no I didn’t. I didn’t try a RAD cage, I don’t see how that would fix it.

A file to the RM probably would.

Slogo
    Free Member

i would get the file out take a few mm off the point where the mech touches the hanger. this will give you a little extra swing which is what you need.

bbb
    Free Member

This happened to me. As someone mentioned before, the chain is too short – it causes the arm of the mech to sit in that unique position where it just interferes with the cassette.
    Easy solution – add about 4 links to the chain and it will work fine.

mattjg
    Free Member

maybe I try a longer chain later today if I get bit of time, got to be worth a whizz so then when I looked before I couldn’t see how it would.

mattjg
    Free Member

no joy, I added 4 links and spent some time fettling, there is no way to all the shifting working smoothly, I can get the top and bottom OK if I accept jumps in the middle, I cam sort the middle but then not get the bottom 40T.

there is no combo of settings of cable tension and B screw I can find to make it all work.

I put my regular 11-36 back on, it worked perfectly immediately.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Only when I bent my medium cage XT mech did it started to foul my 40t ring. Are you sure your mech hanger is perfectly straight and the b screw is fully screwed in?

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Having this same issue with my 2010 zesty. Bugger. Don’t really want to file down the derailleur,did anyone have any luck filing down the mech hanger tab?

mattjg
    Free Member

I’ve done neither but intend to file the mech on the grounds (for my frame) it’s easier to replace.

singlespeedstu

Mrs Stu will be picking up a 2015 Nimble 9 in January.
    It’ll mainly be used as a singlespeed but every now and again it might sprout gears.

I’ll have a mess about with a 42T and rad cage on there and see what happens.

but intend to file the mech on the grounds (for my frame) it’s easier to replace.

I think that’s the right way to go about it. Easier to change the top knuckle on the mech than try to get a new slider.

mattjg
    Free Member

yes provided that little arm isn’t hollow – it might be.

singlespeedstu

I’d file the top B knuckle not the arm.
    That way the mech will sit it the propper position and if it doesn’t work i can fit a new B knuckle.

mattjg
    Free Member

thx, I’ll take a look. As a single speeder you seem very familiar with mech mechanics! 😆

singlespeedstu

It’s all bikes innit. 😀

benpinnick

Not sure if anyone posted this but… its the extra long b screw thats the issue I believe, as the mech is rotating around a pivot set away from the centre of the cassette, you’ll find the b screw winding in will cause the arm to get too close to the middle range cogs. Winding it out gives more clearance.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Just to update on this, I filed about 1.5mm off the knuckle on the mech and it now clears fine.

mattjg
    Free Member

Ashy thx, any chance of a pic of what you did? My email in profile if you can’t link here.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Hopefully this diagram will help. I filed off the bit pointed at by the red arrow. The green line indicates how much I took off which was about 1.5mm.

It should allow your derailleur to sit a bit further down. However, having done all of that I bought a new derailleur hanger for My frame and that seems to set the derailleur much further away anyway.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Hope T Rex and XT RM clearance (Not! Arrrghhhh!)’ is closed to new replies.