Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Help! Really rough Bontrager front hub… and I'm now in the Alps!
  • BoomBip
    Free Member

My front hub is feeling very rough but I’ve no idea how open it up to service it. One side looks like it will take a spanner but the other looks like a proprietary fitting, it has about 6 notches running around the outside rather than flat sections for a spanner. The wheels are Bontrager Rhythm Comps on a 2010 Trek EX8 by the way.

To make things worse, I’m actually in the Alps at the moment and none of the local bikeshops have been able to help. Got a really big ride Saturday (PPDS) so hoping to get it sorted asap.

Really grateful if anyone can help.

coatesy
    Free Member

Think that’s a DT Onyx, you’ll need a small C-spanner(should have come with the bike)to remove the cap without damage, but a pair of pliers will do the job as it’s only an o-ring that stops it unscrewing. Bearings are cartridge jobbies, think theyre 61902-2rs, so not really servicable, and they can easily be over-preloaded as the axle is plain gauge.

BoomBip
    Free Member

Cheers, that’s really helpful – will see how I get on with it but at least I now know more about what’s going on. Suspect I’ve overtightened the QR, lesson for the future…

Thanks again

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Help! Really rough Bontrager front hub… and I'm now in the Alps!’ is closed to new replies.