Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • GPS splitting for uplift via road scenareo
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

So Garmin started in morning, day of uplifts and the van goes via road (e.g. Forest of Dean, Antur Stiniog). Not bothering to start/stop for each run as it’s a load of hassle to remember.

Road sections in the van are going to mean flagged ride by roadies on Strava (please Strava, let us distinguish our rides between MTB and road!).

Also the signal gets dropped when in the van and it sometimes jumps direct from start to end of van’s journey.

So what I need is the easiest way to split up an uplift day, easily identifying and deleting the bits you don’t want. Fine if it results in a file per run.

Ideal is to be able to block out areas (roads) and have it auto split the thing, but that’s a tall ask I think.

timba
    Free Member

I think that a degree of faff will be involved, putting the route into something like BikeHike seeing which bits to chop and then editing with XML Notepad
    You can edit completely in BikeHike, but it may lose your times, cadence, etc when saved after editing…
    …or you could write “GPS” on a bit of masking tape on your handlebar stem 😉

oliverracing

why not put a strava privacy area over a point on the uplift road – it will still log it for you but it won’t allow others to see that section and won’t allow you to set a kom within it.

jam-bo

Wheel speed/cadence sensor on the bike and set to auto pause?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dk, not sure there is a tool but as above you can edit the file by hand to get just the trails. If yoiu look at the files in a text editor you can quickly get an understanding of how the header / body / footer works. I did this with some Alps trails removing ski lifts but it was a project and a half !

scotroutes

the easiest way to split up an uplift day…… Fine if it results in a file per run.

switch the GPS off when you get in the van and back on when you start to ride.

BoardinBob

Strava has a split ride function as far as I remember?

philwarren11
    Free Member

Used to be able to do it on Ride With GPS, crop and save as a separate file but they took that away with the premium upgrade. Thats what i used to use.

If you know the times of your runs then cut and paste from the gpx file in Excel.

njee20
    Free Member

Surely it’s far less effort to press start/stop once per run then spend hours tweaking GPX files after the fact…? 😕

xora

I have done what is being asked with http://activityworkshop.net/software/gpsprune/ in the past!

rene59
    Free Member

Memory Map – if you have access to this then simply import the file split the track where you want then resave the bits individually. Very quick and simple.

deadkenny
    Free Member

It would be easier to press start/stop but when doing a day of 10+ uplifts and a lot of rushing to start the next run to get down to the van in time, and cramped space in the van, laughing with mates about the last run/crash, so a faff to dig out Garmin from a pocket… it’s too much hassle.

Tried it in the past but I end up forgetting to turn it on after it was turned off.

Speed/cadence sensor I’ve got on the hard tail but it wouldn’t survive downhilling. Not interested in cadence anyway for MTB so an option is the magnetless speed sensor that wraps around the hub. But I don’t usually like using auto pause as have had issues before with Strava thinking a slow climb or push up is a KOM because it jumps from start to finish. Though Strava deny it should happen, but it did and I kept getting rides flagged as a result. Admitted wasn’t with a Garmin.

Also, not sure if Garmin will count your moving via GPS even if wheels aren’t moving.

Anyway, my immediate problem is I have a track from FoD yesterday that needs sorting out 😀 . Privacy zones maybe could work but a faff. Also have considered a more xc ride around FoD beyond the trail centre and might end up taking in those areas.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Was thinking a great feature for Strava to implement would be to be ale to create uplift segments which prevent matching on known uplifts. Ideal for chair lifts in the alps too where it’s matched me against nearby roads. Though still it needs to distinguish between MTB and road rides.

taxi25
    Free Member

Surely any bit of road regularly used for uplifts is going to have hundreds if not thousands of “back of the van” Strava times ? Everyone will know the score. Can’t imagine anyone flagging them all. Same with BPW, try cycling up the fire road and getting into the top several thousand 😯

philwarren11
    Free Member

They are implementing an uplift feature where it would remove you from any uphill segments and meters climbed.

chakaping
    Free Member

Surely it’s far less effort to press start/stop once per run then spend hours tweaking GPX files after the fact…?

Doesn’t it fill in the gaps if you do this anyway? Or you mean press “reset”?

It’s a bit awkward in the Alps too, where you mix pedalling up and lifts.

deadkenny
    Free Member

taxi25 – Member
    Surely any bit of road regularly used for uplifts is going to have hundreds if not thousands of “back of the van” Strava times ? Everyone will know the score. Can’t imagine anyone flagging them all. Same with BPW, try cycling up the fire road and getting into the top several thousand

True. Have had some in the past flagged but it doesn’t tell you why. Often can be a long time after and suddenly gets flagged and all I can guess is the uplift.

There’s garbage on the GPS though also where the loss of signal in the van causes some straight lining, but guess I can live with that.

Northwind

Strava removed all of the climbs from a week of uplifted rides for me- wasn’t quite correct as that removed some legit rides, but close enough. Pretty impressive customer service tbh

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dk was just playing with Garmin basecamp and with a bit of effort you can cut out the climbs from the GPX, you might have to export all the runs and then re-import

deadkenny
    Free Member

Northwind – did you ask them to do that, or it did that automatically? I’ve had KOMs in the past from uplifts and I did just ask them to unmatch the segments.

jambalaya – I read elsewhere about using Basecamp. Had a look and couldn’t understand how to use it to do that, though not spent too long trying to understand it. I’ve also used another GPX editing tool in the past but remember it was a lot of hassle.

Anyway, think I’ll upload as is for now and see how it goes.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dk, I am not an expert but you can right click on the track – lots of options like split track, open so you can see track point number and lat/long which as a minimum you can use for hand edit the file into sections.

EDIT: Just had a play and indeed you can cut out the sections (eg climbs) all a bit manual though.

scotroutes

Yep – Basecamp will do it fine. Just select the track and then you can use the Divide button on the Edit toolbar. You’ll have to do that for each run, then delete the bits you don’t abnt and upload the remainder as separate tracks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s a bit awkward in the Alps too, where you mix pedalling up and lifts.

Not really, arrive at lift que, press pause, get off lift GPS beeps repeatedly and flashes up “movement detected, start timer?”.

Doesn’t it fill in the gaps if you do this anyway? Or you mean press “reset”?

I think it depends on the GPS/STRAVA, strava doesn’t like long broken up rides, if I upload one long ride with a long lunchbreak in it, it records 2 rides, if I upload 2 rides back to back (commute home on the road, and grab the MTB for a quick ride) it’s combined them back into 1 before.

It should work if you reset on the uplift though, mine works fine if I commute home, stop it, get in the car then drive soemwhere for an MTB ride.

deadkenny
    Free Member

As I mentioned, it’s easy to forget or find it’s hassle trying to dig around in a pocket in a queue, lift, van, etc. Usually because I’m distracted by other things. Generally having too much fun. Plus it’s annoying to friends if I’m faffing with the thing just as we want to set off.

Noting that I don’t mount the Garmin on the bars for this kind of riding. It’ll be smashed up too easily, and I’m only using it for tracking, not navigation or looking at stats mid ride.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Actually, it turns out the segments roads around FoD uplift have been marked as hazardous, I guess by roadies who just got fed up with it 😀

philwarren11
    Free Member

Probably marked as hazardous by the uplift drivers so you dont see the speed the bomb up the road loaded with bikes! (im not complaining about this, love FoD uplift!)

Here’s the link for the uplift discussion on Strava…

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/21524774-Using-Strava-for-lift-shuttle-assisted-rides-

philwarren11
    Free Member

From that thread:

Upload the main GPX file including all the lift rides
    Crop the first downhill run, so that only the first downhill run remains
    Export the lap from Strava, save it somewhere and name it accordingly (for example 1.gpx)
    Delete everything from Strava
    Upload the main GPX file again
    Crop the second downhill run
    Export the second downhill run (2.gpx)
    Repeat until you have a GPX file for each downhill run
    Now upload these runs separately to Strava, one after another

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I guess Strava still hasn’t got a fix for this yet? I’m always forgetting to pause the GPS and although it’s pretty easy to delete the chairlift segments using Adze and then export each lap as a new ride it’s not so useful for comparing laps.

I’d of thought having a ‘Lift Assisted’ or ‘Downhill’ ride option would be pretty easy for them to implement. All they’d have to do is mark any prolonged uphill sections as not counting towards either distance or altitude ridden. They already have options for easy ‘Alpine Skiing’ which although still tracks total distance (including the lifts) doesn’t count your altitude ridden, as what would be the point.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘GPS splitting for uplift via road scenareo’ is closed to new replies.