Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Rudy Project Glasses
  • mjsmke

Anyone use Rudy Project glasses? Do they come up wide or narrow? No where near me stocks them and need some with perscription inserts so have to order online.

aP
    Free Member

Yes. It’ll depend which model you’re looking at. I use Maya frames, but my optician has under my request reduced the size of the inserts.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

My Rudy Project magsters are similar to the Oakley radars I have width wise. I would strongly recommend them as they are vastly superior to the Oakley in every way. It’s a shame not more people stock them because comfort wise they are loads better and have adjustable arms and nose bridge pieces. I guess just not as trendy.

mjsmke

They might be too wide for me then. I tried a friends Oakleys today but they made me look like a bug.

Why did you have the size of the inserts reduced?

duir
    Free Member

RX Sport have a deal where you pay £4.95 and they send up to 3 pairs of frames for you to try before you buy.

They also do sports specific thinned down tough lenses at a greatly reduced price if you send in your prescription they will make the glasses up for you.

I recently got some Oakley frames with my prescription in and they are very high quality. Fast turn around (less than a week) and came in about £250 cheaper than the high street.

http://www.rxsport.co.uk/categories/Prescription-Glasses/Rudy-Project-Prescription-Glasses/

aP
    Free Member

I need the inserts to be as small as possible because my prescription is in the region of -11. Not for any other reason of aesthetics.

captaindanger

I have some which are advertised as being for thin faces, ekynox i think

mjsmke

Does anyone know the total width of any of the frames that take inserts? The only ones that say small or medium fit are not compatable with inserts.

cbike
    Free Member

Mine are 12 cm to outside of lenses.
    14.5 wide at hinges
    12 cm at end of the legs.
    My head approx 14 cm wide as well.

Frame type is Rudy project “exceptions”

mjsmke

Thanks. Definately too wide for me. My current sunglasses are 13cm wide.

aP
    Free Member

To the hinges my Maya measure 130mm,,

jes
    Free Member

Rudy Project Noyz and Zyons 130 mm at hinge, used with metal rx insert (small version from memory)

mjsmke

Thanks. How do you get on with the inserts? Do they rub on the front lenses?

aP
    Free Member

Mine always have. But then it doesn’t matter, as you can’t see through that part of the lens anyway.

mjsmke

So which part rubs? Also what made you choose inserts over direct glazing?

jes
    Free Member

Thanks. How do you get on with the inserts? Do they rub on the front lenses?

The inserts have a couple of benefits over direct glazing –

1. Cost, initial glazing and prescription updates and the ability for a lab with standard edging equipment to glaze.

2. Interchangable lenses for diffrent conditions, I have transition lenses glazed to an Oakley frame but they are only usable in certain conditions.

Mine have rubbed on the clear lenses I used for winter riding giving a small opaque 3.0 mm area after 4-5 years of use.

The rubbing is on the lower outboard egde of the rx insert, why it rubs may depend on the rx/base curve of the lenses fitted to the insert and how much the insert is bowed relative to the curve of the main frame lens.

They do a rimless rx insert now which may help to reduce this issue.

Hope this helps

mjsmke

That helps lots! Thanks. Never really understood why anyone goes for Photochromic lenses for mtb’ing when they take a while to change. I use clear lenses for all but very sunny conditions. But then if any of my ride is in sheltered woods i still prefer clear. Yellow gives my a headache.

aP
    Free Member

I chose inserts because no one makes direct lenses for my prescription, also I don’t want to pay £400+ for lenses I can’t use all the time.
    The bit that rubs is the outside edge of the insert against the outer lens.
    About 10 years ago I had some insert lenses made by Rupp+Hubrach which were the highest prescription highest base lenses that they’d ever made. They weren’t an enormous success. My Maya frames and the previous Exception were significantly more successful, and mean I can still do the kind of riding I want to do.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Yes I use Rudy Project Rydons with insets & am pretty happy with them. The insert frames were quite expensive & I got the rimless ones which are less conspicuous. I mainly use impact X – impact resistant lenses – Photophromatic lenses which change very quickly – but can change then to racing red or night time yellow.

mjsmke

I’m torn between getting them with inserts or directly glazed with clear lenses. I only really use clear lenses. Even on sunny days as I’m always going in dark woods.

MrNice
    Free Member

Never really understood why anyone goes for Photochromic lenses for mtb’ing when they take a while to change

I have rudy project photochromics and they change pretty quick. I think they’re fantastic (YMMV obviously).

mjsmke

Do they work well in woods with constant sun/ shaded areas? I thought they took about 19 seconds to change?

mjsmke

Anyone use optilabs glasses? If so, how wide are they? And which models?

sweaman2
    Free Member

Also a Rudy Project Rydon with RX inserts user. My photochromics are a lot faster than 19 seconds in warm conditions – the rate changes with temperature and so they are noticeably slower when close to or below 0.

mjsmke

So do the photochromics go clear enough for night rides too?

aP
    Free Member

Yes.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Depends on the lenses but yes in principle. The photochromatic clear goes from 9% to 75% transmission. The 75% is considered fine by the aa for night driving Link Honestly you’d struggle to notice with mine that you’re losing 25% of the light. Normal sunglasses are in the 8-18% range.

mjsmke

Thanks. Its not really any more expensive to get them directly glazed with those lenses so if they cover all conditions i might just go with them.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Rudy Project Glasses’ is closed to new replies.