Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Go Pro session helmet mounting
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m toying with getting a Go Pro Session 4 or 5 to use whilst cycling (I assume that they’re reasonable pieces of kit).

The after market mounts seem a very expensive for what you get so I’d like to get it right first time.

I’d be mounting it to a standard vented cycling helmet and would prefer a side mount option, but the only official side mounting helmet mount I’ve come across relies on a sticky pad (I think it’s designed for motorcycle/skate helmets) and I’m not sure that I’d like to rely on this.

Are there any more secure side mounting helmet mounts available (doesn’t have to be official Go Pro)?

akira

That’s mount will work fine, used it in various places and it’s rock solid.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Almost all fixings for Go pro require a flat surface to mount on.

To get round this you can use Sugru: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=sugru&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=194709711245&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1414042886620086192&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045899&hvtargid=kwd-24402097061&ref=pd_sl_91u5yf5hx5_e

I used it to make an under visor mount for my Full face:

I have had it on there for 2 years with a full size Go-Pro, I now have a Hero 4 Silver, It works with the water proof case or the frame.

I would mention that with a side mount on a traditional pie-case helmet it is likely to add weight and make the helmet sit wonky.

There isn’t a lot of getting away from the telly tubby look unless you have a big visor you can mount it under.

If you do decide to mount it under a visor also check out Ninja-mount: https://www.ninja-mount.com/product/ninja-mount/

PJay
    Free Member

I’m looking at the session models, which should be fairly light and would need to mount them to a standard vented helmet. The sticky pad option looks a bit flimsy plus the venting will give less surface area to stick to. There’s also the issue that when the time comes to replace the helmet I assume that the sticky pad isn’t reusable and I’ll need a new mount.

Andy-R

Just take adhesive pad off the helmet and the mount and use a new one – they’re cheap as chips.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

you could build a platform with sugru as mentioned.

This sticky pads grip really well but can be removed without damaging the helmet later.

The only other option is a strap of some sort but it will move loads and the footage will have clicky noises and be very shaky.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I use a sticky pad go-pro mount to hold my helmet light. I have caught the light on branches at least a couple of times hard enough to remove the light from the clip in mount and the sticky hasn’t budged. I suspect my head may come off easier than the stick on pad. Use a lanyard as backup just in case either the sticky fails or more likely some other part of the mount breaks in an impact.

DezB
    Free Member

Does the GoPro session have the same mount fitting as the full GoPro?

If they do, there are loads of compatible mounts to browse through. I’ve got the Shimano camera and found it has the same fitting and there were endless options. Ended up getting an unbranded bar mount off eBay for £1.99 – some companies (K-Edge) charge about £20 for their identical branded model!

The Shimano one has a strap helmet mount and a stick on one – Shimano cam is a lot heavier than the Session, so if that can rely on a sticker…

poah
    Free Member

if you just want to record in case something happens then get one of the cheaper cams. the sound on the GP5 and GP6 is awful due to the waterproofing of the mics. you’ll also need little dead cats to prevent wind noise.

antares
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered one of these hopefully it’ll do the job

nwmlarge
    Free Member

let us know if that does work.

It’s basically the same as the exposure light mounts

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

just search gopro mounts on ebay and buy a cheap version of the official gopro merch.

They are just bits of plastic

EDIT: Knock yersel’ out, plenty of options here

rossburton
    Free Member

Of course, the one true mount for biking is chest mount, not helmet.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

rossburton – Member
    Of course, the one true mount for biking is chest mount, not helmet.

…is the correct answer.

also available on ebay circa six quid, beats the official version at around £40.

joebristol

I have used 2 go pro sticky mounts recently (one official that came with my session, and one cheapie Chinese one). Both are rock solid on the helmets they’re stuck onto. One is for the session, the other is for a torch type light for night riding.

I might add the footage on a GoPro on the helmet looks a bit dull unless you’re going very fast. The chest mount stuff looks more interesting / exciting. I guess this is because your head stays very still even if pumping through loads of bumps – but the chest mount has a lot more of that movement.

PJay
    Free Member

if you just want to record in case something happens

Absolutely no skills whatsoever to show off, so yes, this would be it.

Something that would be good enough to capture the scenery/wildlife might be nice too.

I’ve been tasked with finding myself a Christmas present but I don’t actually know what I want so might have a hunt around in the New Year sales (if such things still exist).

grey

Session works well, I got mine last Xmas and have only really just started using it.
    Mine came with a curved helmet mount and also a flat mount.
    I find it works well on the helmet and at the right angle you even see the bars.
    I’ve not got round to doing any sick edits but they look good enough on Instagram.
    Instagram GoPro Session video

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of lanyards.

You could wrap the ‘big end’ of this round the spar of your bike helmet

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F201331155298

The ‘small end’ can be attached to the thumbscrew on your GoPro.

The beauty of these is that they unclip, so you can swap in your headtorch when the daylight fades.

antares
    Free Member

let us know if that does work.

It’s basically the same as the exposure light mounts

Mount came today. Works perfectly, as you say It’s just like an Exposure mount but to be honest it feels a lot better quality than the mount I have have for my Joystick light. Well worth a tenner.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Saw on Seth’s Bike Hacks that he heats up the sticky pad, which makes them far more adhesive. I guess if anyone knows about such things it will be him, given the amount of content he creates.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Go Pro session helmet mounting’ is closed to new replies.