Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Giant Reign 2015
  • pbooker1995
    Free Member

Anyone ridden on or got one?

Tempted in the Reign 1. Ridden the trance and loved it but just wondering what people think of the new Reign?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve ridden one of these.

Bargainously good! Would make an excellent skill-compensator for trail centres, and a pretty large amount of UK based uplift stuff. Would even be happy for a lot of alpine action as well, with the right tyres/rider.

A word of warning, they’re looooooooooooooooong. As in, very long! Translates to a super stable ride, but not ideal if you’re in to the really tight techy twistiness.

The Reign One looks teh orsumz.

Love that Giant put their own dropper (Which is pretty damned good) on the lower end bikes, but a Reverb on the upper end ones. Admitting that the Reverb’s better. Unlike Spesh….

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Thanks for that CaptainFlashheart.

Currently riding an EnduroExpert29 with Fox 36’s on so used to a very long bike.

Have you ridden the trance? Why is the reign so good in your opinion?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yes, I rode one at Crankworx for a day this year.

It was the all singing, all dancing Team Advanced one. I don’t think you can buy it over here, which is probably a good thing as it would be mega bucks being $8k + out there.

It was a really good bike. A lot of fun to ride & pretty fast too. As said above, it’s a long, slack bike, which is a good thing for me personally.

It’s a shame they are only full build, and the only carbon model in the UK is that minging green colour.

Would I buy one? If I could get past my snobbery, I’d seriously consider it. That or one of the new Canyons.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

EnduroExpert29 with Fox 36’s on so used to a very long bike.

Will double check when I’m back in the LBS on Saturday, but I think it may be longer!

Have tried a Trance, and for most UK riding, it would be the better bike. If they did a Trance SX in a proper (Shiny!) spec in the UK, it would be a belter of a bike. I’m pondering replacing my rather long in the tooth Enduro, which is used as a trail centre/uplift day bike only. With that in mind, the Reign’s very high on my list of possibles. The Reign is just that little bit beefier than a Trance. Feels better at higher speeds and over drops/jumps.

If you’re looking at that sort of bike, though, this might be worth a read Enduro Elite 650b

pbooker1995
    Free Member

If you could get it at a very decent rate? Sub £3k. Would you?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The Reign is a lot bigger than the E29 in terms of length of TT, Reach and wheelbase IIRC. I owned an E29 & whilst it was a monster truck of a bike for all out speed, it was a sledge hammer approach to riding.

The Reign (well, the one I rode anyway) was the better bike IMO.

I think as above again, with a few tweaks the Trance X might be a better bike in the UK. The Trance X Advanced is available in the UK, just very limited numbers.

I think the Reign Advanced might also be coming in again in very short numbers, but also with a crazy price tag.

I’d want the snot green bike for a lot less than £3k. The colour is absolutely vile in real life.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Yeah, Would be looking at the Reign 1 at 4K retail.

its kind of a toss up between the Reign, or a nice wheelset and upgrading shock for the Enduro.

Working in a bike shop where we deal with Giant, Genesis and Specialized it makes sense to go for something from these brands. Maybe even the new Enduro 650.

Really cant make my mind up yet.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

HobNob, the Trance Advanced isn’t available as a SX model for 2015, IIRC.

Assume you’re talking also about the Reign Advanced Team above;

Might just go and have a little lie down…….It’s just lovely!

Working in a bike shop where we deal with Giant, Genesis and Specialized it makes sense to go for something from these brands. Maybe even the new Enduro 650.

While not wanting to discuss trade pricing too much here, if your employer looks after you properly, from a purely fiscal perspective – Giant.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart,

Thats great. I think the Reign is the way to go. Seems to suit the type of riding i want to do.

Completely agree on the Reign Team. Looks beautiful.

Cheers

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Giant still list a Trance SX model for 2015? I assume it’s US only & one of those specials they bring in for staff and favourite shops. However it’s only spec that makes it the SX, the same base frame for all, be it Alu or carbon.

Yep that’s the one I rode, it was a pretty special bike, but then for what it cost, it should have been!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There’s a single model Trance SX this year, and it’s not a carbon one. 🙁

legend
    Free Member

If the deals are the same as old, the offer comes from the supplier rather than the shop. Which used to mean trade minus 20% for Specialized and similar for Giant 😯

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

There’s a single model Trance SX this year, and it’s not a carbon one.

That’s a shame, one of my mates has this years with a 160 Pike and it works really well.

deviant
    Free Member

I have ridden both the 2015 Reign and Trance…my enduro loving, radness, slack craving heart said get the Reign (65 degree HA, 160MM travel etc) but as others have pointed out, its reeaally long and realistically I don’t do enough Enduro racing or Alps holidays to warrant that kind of bike.

I went with my head and bought the Trance frameset instead.
    The rear is ‘only’ 140mm travel but it takes forks from 140-160mm. I have a set of 150mm Revs to go on and there is a thread on Pinkbike where owners have swapped the standard 200×51 shock for a 200×57 item and turned it into 157mm of rear travel, clearance is tight but it seems to work so there is scope to hunt for more travel at a later date if i really want it.

The frame is light and the build quality looks ace, iternal cable routing is tidy and the ability to swap between 135mm QR and a 142mm x 12mm thru-axle is nice. It is 650b with a tapered head tube and seems fairly future proof.

The headset came fitted (a nice surprise) and the shop even threw in Giant’s own dropper post.

The Trance was ridden by the Giant factory team in the EWS so i don’t think the Reign is necessary unless you do loads of uplift days or spend half your time in the Alps.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Lol. I have a 2005 (yes, 2005) Reign with a 57mm stroke rear shock and 160mm Marzocchi 55eta (yes, ETA) forks, and it is perfect as an Alps singletrack bike. It is nowhere near that slack or long though. I love it.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Possibly thinning about the trance SX now and then upgrading the wheels. Has anyone ridden one? What do thy reckon?

FactoryPhil

Not ridden the sx but built up a new trance last week based on the frameset. As deviant says it’s light at 6.12lb for a medium frame.
    150mm pike and slx/zee drivetrain on mine, all up weight of 28.59lb.
    Only one spin on it so far but very impressed. Had a t129 before this and while it was a capable bike, the trance feels more solid and dare I say it, more fun (to me anyway).

Phil

WildHunter2009

Just went and had a look at a snot green on my lunch break. Its a really nice looking bike, and its a big bike. I sort of want one now 🙁

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Giant Reign 2015’ is closed to new replies.