• This topic has 75 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Giant Defy Composite 1 or Cannondale Synapse 105?
  • hora
    Free Member

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?show=4916

or

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p4324/CANNONDALE-SYNAPSE-CARBON-105-2012

About £100 between them but then the more expensive (Defy) has Ultegra over the Dale’s 105).

I’ve ridden a composite Defy – liked it, but never a Dale.

Personal experiences etc etc? Especially of the Giants wheelset? I wont be upgrading the wheels for a fair while.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d get the Synapse but that’s primarily because I’ve got the ultegra one and really like it. That said, my 105 bike felt a bit agricultural in comparison to the ultegra but it may have just been that the ultegra was assembled at the factory, the 105 in my kitchen.

The Synapse is really comfortable (relatively speaking) for crappy road surfaces and longer rides and so far has been pretty faultless. I’d buy another without hesitation if the time came.

turbo1397
    Free Member

I have a comp 1 and love it. i had an alu synapse before it- night and day.. 🙂

TiRed

If you liked the Defy, I’d buy a Defy – but then I have one! The Synapse is more upright and you may not like that feel. The CAAD8 is closer in geometry (head tube length) to the Defy, believe it or not. Giant wheels have been much higher quality than Cannondale on our lower-end bikes (Avail and CAAD8). The Cannondale stock wheels were gash, if yor choice comes with Aksiums, that is a bonus, but Giant wheels are excellent (DT hubs and Giant make the alloy rims for DT).

Looking at all those options, the CAAD10 105 in a 58 is a bargain and the best alloy frame money can buy. Might be too big, and too low at the front, but it is an outstanding frame (from a paid up Giant fanbois). For your money I wouldn’t worry about groupset, but would go for carbon unless you know exactly what you want – you test rode a carbon Defy, If I recall?

pondo

My brother has recently been dithering over a similar decision, he’s much more pragmatic than me – plumped for the Defy Advanced 2 with 105 in the end and no regrets so far. I looked up a review when he was looking, and BikeRadar liked the wheels even though they’re “generic” Giant own brand. I’ve got a CAAD 8, which I picked because of the colour – therein lies one of the many differences between him and me. 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Get the better groupset and wheels as you are likely to change the frame later anyway, I would have thought…

skiprat
    Free Member

I’ve got a Defy 1 Mark, and the giant wheels have been fine over the last year even clattering over Sheffield’s best roads. Spokes on the rear could do with going over but this’ll be the first time.

Get the one that you like the look and ride of. They’re both good bikes.

stevio

bought this Giant (small)end of Jan; and other than a change to a Spesh saddle & GP4000s’s it’s done over 800 miles without a hitch. Lovely ride and feels fast compared to previous less fitted/capable bikes…

Being carbon it cleans with a wipe too. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

you test rode a carbon Defy, If I recall?

Yep – I also rode a Orbea (Orca?) and a TCR Comp- didn’t like either of them at all- fronts very low and the TCR felt stiff?

The Defy felt playful(?)

The Synapse is really comfortable (relatively speaking) for crappy road surfaces and longer rides

Chappy on phone also echoed this – Says its more comfortable than the Defy. A bugger that I can’t test the Synapse before though.

Comfort is key- too rigid etc isn’t me. Thats why I didn’t like the TCR.

hora
    Free Member

I’d have a Planet X but I’m not waiting a month from order.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Neither I’d get this

hora
    Free Member

I don’t have £1700 spare plus it’d cost more than my car at that price 😯

My very max is £1300.

Kryton57

Comfort wise the Synapse & Defy are made for the same purpose and not miles apart like your guy suggests. Echoing the above, I have a Defy 3 for winter duty with flappy paddle sora. It’s comfy, the wheels are unbranded DT, the tyres unbranded conti’s.

It’s been brilliant.

amedias
    Free Member

it’d cost more than my car

and what exactly is wrong with that?

hora
    Free Member

Nowt but at somepoint I want a AWD beast. 8)

ChrisS
    Free Member

That Trek looks nice, but isn’t that the older, 10 speed version of Ultegra Di2? Is that likely to be an issue?

rOcKeTdOg

ep – I also rode a Orbea (Orca?) and a TCR Comp- didn’t like either of them at all- fronts very low and the TCR felt stiff?

Sounds perfect for a road bike, who’d want a high front end flexy road bike?

Ah, it’s Hora 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Too stiff though. I’m entering no competitions- this is merely an aid/supplement to mountain bikes.

asterix
    Free Member

I am a big Cannondale fan, but I found the Synapse too upright, so instead went for a Bianchi InfinitoCV with ultegra

and yes my bike is worth more than my car 🙂

IHN

My Mrs has got a Synapse 105 and loves it. It’s a very nice bike.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

it’d cost more than my car at that price

As it should do: rule #25

Either will be ace and from what I can gather the difference between 105 and Ultegra isn’t worth worrying about.

Buy the one you like the look of…buy the one you want.

ElShalimo

Another option:
    Canyon Roadlite AL7.0 comes in at under £1200 with full 2×11 Ultegra groupset and Mavic Aksium

hora
    Free Member

I want it within days, finance and local backup for any breaks though.

After the Stw Cube story and previous grumbles about Canyon I wouldnt touch those micro’ brands

rOcKeTdOg

ora – Member
    Too stiff though. I’m entering no competitions- this is merely an aid/supplement to mountain bikes.

Consider a hybrid if road bike are too “road bike”

DT78
    Free Member

Canyon is a micro brand?

hora
    Free Member

Compared to all the big brands yes?

Direct model a la On One.

eightyeight
    Free Member

What about this:
    http://www.merlincycles.com/sensa-giulia-ultegra-6800-di2-special-57854.html

Sorry to hijack, looking at this as my next road bike, any one have any thoughts?

mick_r

7.4kg / 7.9kg full carbon + Ultegra Be0nes in stock at Merlin (local ish) for £1400 and £1200 respectively.

They bought up the bankrupt Beone stock but are offering 3yr warranty when my Mrs enquired on Monday.

ElShalimo

Just get the Defy composite from Paul’s Cycles – you said you liked the ride.
    If the wheels eventually develop problems then get a pair of lightly used 2nd hand ones off here – there are usually some in the classifieds

DT78
    Free Member

Comparing on one and canyon is laughable. Seen many Planet X bikes in the tdf?

hora
    Free Member

That sensa? On your budget I’d get the Trek linked. No doubt.

Re Canyon. Its distance selling from another country. If I have a prob midsummer which bikeshop do I stand in to get a fast warranty decision?

On one here have been great to me on any issues but what if I was in (enter any European country) wanting a quick resolution/inspection?

Thats my angle.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

CAAD10 105 in a 58 is a bargain and the best alloy frame money can buy.

I have one of these and bought it in preference to a SuperSix 105. The CAAD 10 frame is brilliant.

eightyeight
    Free Member

That Trek looks nice, but isn’t that the older, 10 speed version of Ultegra Di2? Is that likely to be an issue?

It seems to be the Ultegra Di2 6870 (according to the Q&A on the Evans website), which is the 2014 issue isn’t it?

hora
    Free Member

Toxicsoks- really?? (Interested)

taxi25
    Free Member

Comparing on one and canyon is laughable. Seen many Planet X bikes in the tdf?

Didn’t you see Valverde storming up the Mur de Huy on his Planet x today ? Oh hang on a bit…..

Bregante

That caad10 in a 58 will probably be too big for you hora. My caad8 is a 56 and I’m probably a bit taller than you.

I’d love a caad10 though. Pretty much universally accepted as the best aluminum frame on the market.

Bregante

And yes the cannondales wheels are pants (Maddux 3.0 in my case). I’ve just upgraded mine to some nice Ambrosio clinchers from Planet X and the difference is night and day.

rOcKeTdOg

Didn’t you see Valverde storming up the Mur de Huy on his Planet x today ?

He wants a pretend road bike though not a real one

13thfloormonk

Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op (and others, I’m sure) also offer the aluminium Defy 0, brilliant looking spec and the aluminium Defy seems to pick up a lot of excellent reviews.

I’ve been torn between three similar bikes also, the top end CAAD8 (I loved my CAAD9 but want a slightly less committed position) the aluminium Defy 0 and the Synapse, I don’t like the look of the tall front end but rode a rental Spec Roubaix recently and it felt great on the descents.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Giant Defy Composite 1 or Cannondale Synapse 105?’ is closed to new replies.