• This topic has 75 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Giant Defy Composite 1 or Cannondale Synapse 105?
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Can I recommend the Giant, purely on the fact that my TCX Advance is ace, I can ? Ohhh ta 😆

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Why not spend the extras and go for the Defy Comp 1 2014. Comes with ultegra 11 speed and retails for £1599. Most shops could give you 10% off too so for £90 more you get an updated bike with a superior group set and the support of a shop not an internet store.

Free Member

I have a DEFY 1 composite 2012 from Pauls Cycles and love it but I wondered if any one has ridden a Defy Advance frame bike as I would like to know if is feels much better to ride

Dales_rider
    Free Member

hora – Member

I don’t have £1700 spare plus it’d cost more than my car at that price

My very max is £1300.

In that case get a ‘Dale as advised by smelly sox

Gary_C

Bregante – Member

And yes the cannondales wheels are pants (Maddux 3.0 in my case). I’ve just upgraded mine to some nice Ambrosio clinchers from Planet X and the difference is night and day.

Interested, why do you say that about the ‘dale wheels?

TiRed

The ‘dale wheels are heavy and went out of true very quickly. The review of the CAAD8 Sora by Cycling Weekly said that the frame was fantastic (it is), but deserved so much more than the stock wheels. I upgraded my son’s CAAD8 to some used Kysrium Elites and the difference is night and day. I also raced on it with some Giant pslr-aero carbon wheels, and again it is a fantastic ride. It looks like it was welded by a blind person, however!

By contrast, the Giant will come with a pair of medium (not heavy) DT-hubbed wheels that will not go out of true immediately, and perform acceptably. My other son’s XS Avail (Defy for the ladies) has fine wheels that are pleasant to ride. For a treat, he gets the Ksyriums occasionally, but the stock wheels are so much better. It was also welded by someone who knows how to finish a joint properly.

I wondered if any one has ridden a Defy Advance frame

I have a Defy Advanced SL and could tell the difference between that and the Defy Advanced. But I have not ridden a Composite. The advanced is about 200g lighter, if I recall. The SL is another 200g or so. They all have the stock geometry, so handling will not be very different. Stiffness and lightness increase with price. But all are good. The pros were riding Composite level frames less than 10 years ago.

Bregante

I could cope with the weight of the standard wheels on mine but as TiRed says they did need truing almost constantly. The wheels I have replaced them with are still not exactly light at 1800g but they are FAR stiffer and more responsive and do the frame justice

ElShalimo

So any lower spec Defy or Synapse or CAAD would need new wheelset soon after purchase seems to be the message
    Makes them look less of a bargain then
    😥

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

any lower spec Defy or Synapse or CAAD would need new wheelset soon after purchase

Nah…that’s bollox. Want, quite fancy, would benefit from…fair enough!

I’ve got an alloy 105 Synapse, bought 2nd hand (about 4 months old) and crashed at least twice by the previous owner. In the last 12 months I’ve done over 5k on it, in all weathers on, as you’d expect, poorly surfaced roads. I did have a spoke snap on the front, but that’s it. Both wheels are and have remained true…apart from when the spoke snapped, ahem 😀

hora
    Free Member

So avoid Dale stock wheels?!

asterix
    Free Member

wont most good LBS’s agree to supply the wheels you want (for a price – obviously) rather than the stock wheels that come with a certain bike model? For my most recent bike purchase I just told the LBS what I wanted and there was no “sorry you can only have the basic wheels” or “well we can supply the wheels you want, but you have to buy the wheels that come with the bike as well”

hora
    Free Member

Which you can appreciate/understand though.

pondo

hora – Member
    So avoid Dale stock wheels?!

POSTED 24 MINUTES AGO
    See the post below, which was right above yours –

Rusty Shackleford

any lower spec Defy or Synapse or CAAD would need new wheelset soon after purchase

Nah…that’s bollox. Want, quite fancy, would benefit from…fair enough!
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO[/quote]
    If you insist, however, Epic’ll do Synapse with wheel upgrades

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Cannondale_Synapse.html

TiRed

…any lower spec Defy or Synapse or CAAD would need new wheelset soon after purchase

No, read what’s been said, it’s just the Cannondales with unbranded hubs and Maddux rims. The stock Giant wheels are just fine. I have three sets from low to ultra bling and they have all been perfect. One of my aero wheels was trued 2mm after a crash, the others have been true for years.

So avoid Dale stock wheels?! Yes

In fact I wouldn’t give away my Dale rear wheel, it’s really is rubbish – and out of true (again). This for a 80 kg rider. If you want good stock wheels, Giant every time. Want the best alloy frame, Canondale. Want well designed carbon do-it all? Buy that DEFY Composite and put us out of our misery 😉

verses

I replaced the wheels on my CAAD 8 within a year.

Numerous broken spokes and re-trues required on the originals (75kg rider). The replacements (Shimano RS20s) are coming up to 15months and have required nothing doing to them at all (going to regrease the hubs this weekend).

amedias
    Free Member

Is spending 1.2k+ on your first road bike (while already considering what upgrades might need 🙄 doing) really the right approach to this?

Wouldn’t a nice lightly used, 2nd hand bike at a fraction of the price be a better starter bike?

If you really take to the road and decide you want something better you’ll recoup most of your money selling the 2nd hand bike on again, and if you decide in 6 months that its actually not for you then you won’t have lost out much either.

Or should I just shut up and let you get on with it?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sooooo… Whatcha bought Hora ❓

hora
    Free Member

Wouldn’t a nice lightly used, 2nd hand bike at a fraction of the price be a better starter bike?

I’m ‘King of secondhand. I thought about this- looked but most of the road bikes 2ndhand seem to be max 200-300 off what you can now get like for like or very similar new. Must be the weather improving/seasonality and sellers trying it?

Also – I was watching a few on Ebay- they went for stupid money, as though the buyers were idiots.

Which one did I buy?

Leaning/going to go for

The CANNONDALE-SYNAPSE-CARBON-105-2012 as it has the Mavic wheels and slightly more upright position and comfier I think.

amedias
    Free Member

If you keep looking something will pop up, but if you’re in hurry and want new then unless you’re just wanting to spend over a grand, is it really necessary, plenty of Decent framed, Sora/Tiagra equipped bikes for half that and they will still be perfectly rideable.

A 4 year old Alu Trek with Tiagra has taken me through the last year of sunday club runs and midweek rides for <£250 and all it needs is a clean and some new rims.

I keep thinking about replacing it with something posher but I know I can just keep feeding it new drive trains if necessary and it’ll keep going, or if the worst happens I can buy another 2nd hand one again, so I probably wont bother, I’m not racing on the road (save that for the dirt!), and it’s perfectly comfortable for 60 – 100 mile rides so I’m struggling to see the benefit for me…

DT78
    Free Member

Road bikes don’t get as trashed as mountain bikes so should hold their second hand value better.

I spent 2200 on my first roadie ( from rosé), and then another 150 on training wheels. 5500 miles later I am very happy I spent the money up front or I would now have 2 roadies and spent significantly more buying another super duper carbon one. If you do look to the distance sellers your money will go much further, for that price I got carbon frame, post and bars, with force groupset and cosmic carbones. It’s a lovely bike. Now I want a cx bike!

verses

I spent £500 at Pauls Cycles, on a Sora specced Caad8 about 2 years and 3500 miles ago.

I replaced the wheels after about 10 months, and I replaced the cassette and chain a month or 2 back (It gets ridden in all weathers). I’m currently waiting for the postie to bring a 105 chainset and BB – there’s plenty of life left in mine but, well, you know…

So, not including tyres I’ve prob spent another 250 quid on it.

While it’d be nice to have bling shifters and mechs, it’s not the end of the world and I can wait till a bargain pops up.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well it’s good to read stories of bikes being ridden and just upgraded as and when.
    As mentioned I bought a Boardman Carbon Comp year before last to use as my Winter bike and it’s served me very well indeed. I’ve changed nothing except tyres to GP4’s and squirted GT85 over it after the jetwashing it always gets after dirty rides.
    The thing’s been ridden hard in proper grotty conditions and it’s still running smooth as a nut. It’s currently “resting” covered in GT85 and I guess it’s glad of the time off.

Any Dale’ will be a good bike, the Synapse is a sweet looking and handling ride. You will (I’m sure once you get it) upgrade one or two things on it, but the only thing you should do is get it and ride it. Come back at the end of the summer and ask us “wot tyres for winter boys” Then we’ll be happy.

BOL

maico
    Free Member

hora – Member

After the Stw Cube story and previous grumbles about Canyon I wouldnt touch those micro’ brands

I don’t know about Cube but Canyon sold 65,000 bikes last year.
    Add together the 5 biggest German brands Rose,Cube,Canyon,Focus and Radon and the UK bike industry is surely classed as a cottage industry ?

eightyeight
    Free Member

Yep, thanks for the thread.

Despite convincing myself I was going to hold on for a road bike I’ve just got Evans to price match the Trek Madone 4.9 ultegra Di2 for £1595.

This thread’s got a lot to answer for…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Did I hear right up there… you take a large size?

If so, then defo this

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p4321/CANNONDALE-CAAD10-105-2012

It’s Liquigas colours and everything…

I’m not a fan of the look of modern road bikes, I prefer old school steel…. but love dale’s in Liguigas colours

You could even pretend your Peter Sagan with that bike

ChrisS
    Free Member

I emailed Chevin about that Trek, they’re response:

The Madone 4.9 C Di2 comes with SHIMANO ULTEGRA 6770 DI2.

Thats the old model isn’t it?

eightyeight
    Free Member

Thanks Chris. Yep, it’s the same one as the Evans one – they’d incorrectly answered the question on their website!

Still, I’m very happy with it and going to push the button after a fitting tomorrow.

Russell96

pbooker1995 – Member
    Why not spend the extras and go for the Defy Comp 1 2014. Comes with ultegra 11 speed and retails for £1599. Most shops could give you 10% off too so for £90 more you get an updated bike with a superior group set and the support of a shop not an internet store.

I did exactly this today, went to a LBS and had a look at both the 105 Synapse and the Defy Comp 1 2014 as they had both in stock. Fit was exactly what I was looking for on the Defy, being just over 6ft2 with a longer torso and shorter legs than many 6+footers, the reach was how I wanted it and that along with the really smooth shifting (esp at the front) of the Ultegra sold it for me, pick it up next week.

hora
    Free Member

So I was ready to pounce. Then someone bid 8.9k…

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261457437450

On the above. Why would a shop give you £160 off on current stock when everyone else advertises the current model at full RRP?!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

wont most good LBS’s agree to supply the wheels you want (for a price – obviously

I bought an Orbea Aqua from Epic and updated the wheels at the point of purchase, only paying the difference in rrp between the wheels.

hora
    Free Member

The Giant Defy comp 1 2014. Tell me how to get 10% off? I’ll call that shop and order! The colour scheme/graphics is beautiful.

ElShalimo

hora – did you buy one?

I’m looking for something similar myself

hora
    Free Member

This one partly based on the presenters review:

but also for my limited budget I wanted something had great kit all round. Where would I find 6800 Ultegra on a brand-roadbike?

The PlanetX frame? I’m not entering any comps and its a comfortable frame which is what I want.

ElShalimo

Looks good
    You’ll have to post some photos when you get it

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Shame they dont do a red one, they are much faster than blue

hora
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ll receive it before the end of the month, meaning I’ll miss it for my birthday (it was a present to me) and I’m now without my old steel road bike too as I didn’t realise I’d have to wait so long. So if anyone sees a half-decent oldish road bike for sale let me know so I can still keep getting out in the evenings etc after work. The PlanetX will be worth the wait 🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Giant Defy Composite 1 or Cannondale Synapse 105?’ is closed to new replies.