Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Fat bikes and Rohloff's – Possible or not?
  • sweaman2
    Free Member

There was a thread recently where someone commented that this combination wasn’t possible in general? Can anybody enlighten me as to why this might not be possible? (Or give examples of frames which do or don’t work).

Thanks

scud
    Free Member

From my understanding they can only really be fitted to the Surly Pugsley.

I have a Mukluk and the rear hub spacing is 170mm which is common for “most” fatbikes, some now (salsa beargrease and others) have a larger 190mm spacing for even fatter tyres.

The Rohloff is a conventional 135mm hub spacing, which only the Surly Pugsley comes with.

I am new to the fatbike game though, and from frequenting the UK Fat Bikes forum, there are those much more knowledgeable than me, it is a great forum if you are seriously considering owning a FB with most questions and queries already covered by posts on there, or try the MTBR Fat bike section, but that tends to have a more US slant.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

No problem with a 135mm hub spaced frame!

As above, but also loads more inc. the charge maxi.

On one, beargrease etc have wider rear ends 😯

avdave2

You need 135mm spacing for the Rohloff, only a limited number of fat bikes have that. I know 9zero7 make a frame with 135mm spacing. I think people have made their own adapters to use Rohloffs with wider spacing – look at speedhub nates posting on MBR but Rohloff don’t and have no plans to do the hub in anything but 135mm.

shandcycles
    Free Member

We’re building one for Bedmaker of this parish. Should be ready in about 2016 but ssshhh, don’t tell him that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

sounds like i need to get over to mtbr and see whats going with extending speedhubs….. – since i have a sandman gobi with 165 rear end 🙁

i have a rohloff destined for my fat bike (and almost a whole build kit TBH)

9zero7 looks the most convienant to stick it in though,

avdave2

We’re building one for Bedmaker of this parish.

I was going to mention that but I get too upset when I think of others getting themselves a custom Shand. 🙂

s-keeper

The FAQ section of the Singular Puffin page suggest there is a solution:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1471361938/singular-puffin-fatbike

traversbikes
    Free Member

I am designing a specific frame to accommodate a Rohloff hub and 29+ wheels. The frame is called the “Angus” after the current “World Single Speed Champion” who will be riding one in defense of his title in Alaska and at the Europeans in Ireland.

The Angus frame will be made from titanium and will share many of the tried and tested features such as angles and geometry from our current 29+ frame the “Rudy Fat” but with a specific EBB, split seatstay, room for up to 46t Gates carbon belt drive front cog/ring in the redesigned bottom bracket/chainstay area.

for more info http://www.traversbikes.com

cozz
    Free Member

9zero7 have their 135 rear end frames heavily discounted on their website at the mo

scotroutes

I have an Alfine on a 135 9:zero:7.

SSBonty
    Free Member

There’s a 170 to 135mm adapter by Salsa, I imagine it could be bodged with a monkey bone rohloff disc mount or similar?

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=38805&category=4246

scotroutes

The 135/170 adapter requires a 170mm axle.

Epicyclo and I were discussing the Alternator version of the Mukluk on Tuesday. I reckon a 35mm thick Alternator, with suitable recess for a 135mm axle, could work.

SSBonty
    Free Member

Surely only a 170mm skewer not axle, as the hub is clamped against the adapter, otherwise what would be the point?

From the SIngular Puffin FAQ posted above (which pretty much says exactly what I did):

The Puffin uses 170mm rear spacing, which means a Rohloff won’t fit easily. However the good people at Salsa Cycles make an adapter for their 170mm back ended Mukluk. That adapter fits with no interference with the frame at all, overall seems very solid. I don’t see any reason a Rohloff hub wouldn’t work – with the following requirements;

– QR version
    – laced to a rim with offset spoke holes to get the 17.5mm offset and retain some spoke triangulation
    – skewer suitable for a 170mm hub
    – speedbone or similar brake adapter to deal with the hub torque.

An Alfine won’t fit in this adapter due to both the length and diameter of the axle.

The only other IGH possiblity is a 3 speed 170mm hub which is available from Sturmey Archer.

swavis

A 35mm thick alternator, I’d give that a go… 😉

edit – I’ve built up a 170 Sturmey for my Puffin. It t’s a weighty lump

bedmaker

OP speak to shandcycles of this parish. He’s making me one custom from reynolds 853 with paragon dropouts.
    He’s a bit slow getting it done but I don’t mind as it’s only costing £600. Not too shabby for a custom I reckon.

coastkid
    Free Member

You can buy an old Pugsley frame from £140 upwards and fit one. Don`t need anything special, long as it is 135mm.
    MTBR Fatbike Forum is full of threads of Rohloff fatbikes. There was Wildfire fatbikes with them even before the Pugsley 🙂

Will defo buy a Rohloff if they ever make them saltwater sealed and proven for a marine enviroment, as the Alfine IGH deft is not! 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Pugsleys are sily heavy though.

Shame the cheap 135s are non slideys 🙁 one day tim sideways wil have a large 135slidy on his unique opportunities site 😉

scotroutes

t_r – there’s always that Philcentric BB option….. (or a tensioner)

Davesport

Shand……Be still my beating heart…..

trail_rat
    Free Member

For 399 dollars its tempting colin. But i cant help but think ill regret not getting the right thing what i want !

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Fat bikes and Rohloff's – Possible or not?’ is closed to new replies.