Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Exciting topic alert! Who has an integrated washing machine in their kitchen?
  • IHN

We’re considering getting one in our swanky new kitchen, to replace the current ‘normal’ one.

Now, I have my reservations, as the last time we had one (in a rental property), the fact that it was integrated meant that the door couldn’t be left open to let the door seals dry out, so the seals were a minging mouldy mess. We used to prop the door open a bit with a tea towel to stop it getting worse, which was a partial solution.

So, it feels like my options are:

1) Have an integrated machine and keep the door shut, so the go horrible and mouldy. Pro: looks nice in new kitchen. Con: costs more money, minging seals

2) Have an integrated machine and prop the door open a bit. Pro: non minging seals. Cons: costs money, propped open door spoils look of new kitchen a bit

3) Keep existing (good, reasonably new) machine: Pro: costs nothing, no minging seals. Cons: spoils look of new kitchen.

She wants 1), I probably want 3)

So, tell me your integrated washing machine ownership experiences.

legspin
    Free Member

I lost and have 3

br
    Free Member

Washing machines don’t belong in kitchens; put into Utility Room or Garage – or even upstairs if you have the room.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

4) Utility room, decorated in white and with a tiled floor.

(edit) 28 seconds behind br. Must type faster.

jekkyl

Function trumps aesthetics every time for me.

IHN

Washing machines don’t belong in kitchens; put into Utility Room or Garage

4) Utility room, decorated in white and with a tiled floor.

The utility room and kitchen are being knocked through, so it will be in the kitchen. That is not up for debate.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Why can’t you have 1) but:

a) wipe dry the seals after use
    b) clean the seals once a week so they don’t get too mingy

pebblebeach
    Free Member

We’ve had integrated washing machines in our kitchens for 18 years, not had any minging mouldy seals yet and we don’t prop the door open.

GrahamS

Washing machines don’t belong in kitchens

Yeah we just have a cupboard between the kitchen and downstairs bog that serves as our micro-utility room.

It houses the (non-integrated) washing machine, with the tumble dryer stacked on top of it, ironing board and clothes hangers down the side of them and the laundry stuff on a shelf above. Works pretty well. We can close the door on it and not really notice the washing machine even on full spin.

nemesis
    Free Member

Have had both. Prefer the non integrated – more and better choice plus the drawbacks mentioned.

IHN

We’ve had integrated washing machines in our kitchens for 18 years, not had any minging mouldy seals yet and we don’t prop the door open.

Hmm, interesting. Do you do anything special like

a) wipe dry the seals after use
    b) clean the seals once a week so they don’t get too mingy

?

antigee

standing jokes here in Aus’

“the footie is so dull they get excited if there is 1 goal in 90minutes”
    “they have washing machines in the kitchen?????????”

johndoh
    Free Member

We had an integrated in our last place – never had problems with mould etc.

If I had to have the washing machine in the kitchen in the new place I would have integrated (I am about to replace current kitchen and fridge/dishwasher are going to be built in) but fortunately we now have a utility for the washing machine and dryer.

I wouldn’t spend much on anything built in though – it’s all hidden so even if you are a badge snob people won’t know. I am just looking for the best options based on cheapness balanced against reviews and anergy ratings.

johndoh
    Free Member

The problem being is that in Australia it is generally so cheap* and houses so big compared to the UK that it is easier to get properties with enough space for big utilities etc.

*Apart from Sydney which is bonkers apparently.

hels
    Free Member

Why not just clean it after use ? Solves that problem.

imn

How about option 3 in a custom cupboard, with enough depth to allow the door to be kept open? You could even put shelves above for powder etc.

br
    Free Member

The utility room and kitchen are being knocked through, so it will be in the kitchen. That is not up for debate.

Eh? Backward step surely – or are you having one of those monster rooms that you see in brochures (and no where else)?

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve seen plenty of them IRL (I don’t have one and would prefer a separate utilty FWIW)

IHN

Which bit of

That is not up for debate.

are you struggling with?

martinhutch

Put it in the garage.

siwhite
    Free Member

Option 4 – build a cupboard with doors that match the rest, in order that you can place a regular washing machine inside, close the doors and not see the thing.

We did this in our last kitchen and it worked a treat. It was probable an 800 unit with double doors – you / your fitter will have to hack it about a bit to remove the normal bottom and rear panel. We ended up with small shelves either side for washing powder / liquid.

There isn’t much variety or choice in the integrated washing machine market – we didn’t want to ditch our new machine either.

Best of all worlds?

GrahamS

Option 4 – build a cupboard with doors that match the rest, in order that you can place a regular washing machine inside, close the doors and not see the thing.

Or take that further and make it a full height cupboard so you can stack the washing machine, tumble drier and laundry stuff in there – similar to the micro-utility set up I described.

nemesis
    Free Member

IHN – Member
    Which bit of

That is not up for debate.

are you struggling with?

Are you new here? 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

No minging seals on mine after 5 years, tho it can and is left ajar.

Can’t you bleach the mould?

johndoh
    Free Member

Could you take the seals off and wash them in the washing machine?

eskay

A night out with you lot must be amazing.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Vent in the door to improve air flow?

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Hmm, interesting. Do you do anything special like

Not, just wash clothes in it. It doesn’t get special treatment.

Vent in the door to improve air flow?

Yeh that’ll look good.

IHN

Could you take the seals off and wash them in the washing machine?[/i]

But where would I dry them? 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

😆

wrightyson
    Free Member

Fit 700 work tops, get standard machine. We do this in all our new builds as people moving in want to usually bring their existing washing machine.
    Oh and fwiw why you have to properly the door open? I have an integrated washing machine in my kitchen and the door will stay open.

mike399
    Free Member

We have a fancy dan intergrated washer with the eco-low-temperature thingy going on…
    Started to smell a bit within a very short period of time. The manufacturer’s explanation was due to the low temperatures, they quickly go mingy and should be set on a full heat boil setting every so often. So much for ‘eco’ credentials!!!

Edit: Discussing white goods on the internet… ****, I need to get out more.

eskay

Don’t know if it is a factor but integrated machines are usually quite a bit more expensive than the equivalent free standing machine.

molgrips
    Free Member

Used to have an intergrated machine in a flat, it was annoying as hell because it was so small. It was a washer drier too which was even more annoying beecause you could only half-fill it and it took bloody hours to dry stuff.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Exciting topic alert! Who has an integrated washing machine in their kitchen?’ is closed to new replies.