Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Edge 305 Altimeter Problem
  • giantjason
    Free Member

i have an Garmin Edge 305 and on todays ride the elevation didnt move from 65616ft, which would indicate that the altimeter may be broken.

or is their a software glitch that i need to reset/reinstall to make things better.

has anyone else had this issue and what did they do?

sockpuppet

have you used the online software updater?

or reset the unit? turn it on with the enter button held on, IIRC. although this erases all user data, so upload first.

giantjason
    Free Member

yes, used the online software updater and reset the unit but still no success.

do i take it that the unit is dead?

sockpuppet

does it still work otherwise? is it just the alt that died?

i just had my 205 replaced at cost from garmin for £50. they seem to have no other solution to software (rather than hardware) faults; after the two fixes above they just offer to let you have a new unit cheap.

their uk customer service line was helpful and friendly in my recent dealings. £50 didn’t seem too bad.

jamesb
    Free Member

May have water in altimeter sensor? Twice mine has gone a bit potty with its readings, but not as bad as yours!, telling me I was going uphill on a downhill. Seems that you can get a small water droplet on the sensor hole; first time I dried it out carefully on a storage heater, second time just gave it a good shake and alt dropped from 6500ft to about 5000ft immediately (wet Pyrenees descent Port de Bales, btw)

giantjason
    Free Member

dont think it has water or anything in the sensor.

i uploaded lots of data last night and everything was working fine and it was only this morning when it failed to read elevation and stuck.

jamesb
    Free Member

Contact Garmin Tech support? I`ve found tehm quite helpful in past (eg my 305 appeared to have died, and they advised full reboot of unit= now OK)

wwaswas

agree with above – give their customer service people a ring – they’re helpful – I had a crash damaged 305 replaced abotu 6 months ago for £65 and they turned it around in about 3 days.

dazzlingboy

I have problems all the time with the 305! Last night’s ride – it refused to switch on at all so no GPS for me. On the way home – switched on no problem! I’ve updated it etc many times. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

I have an new Oregon, so I’m not bothered enough about it to go to Garmin etc, but it is a frustrating piece of kit. Has been temperamental since day 1 about 3 years ago!

dazzlingboy

“advised full reboot of unit”

How do you do that then?

giantjason
    Free Member

just off the phone with Garmin and they have advised that the altimeter is bust and as they dont repair the units i can either send it back and get a replacement for £67 or go and buy a new Edge 500.

wwaswas

doesn’t sound unreasonable for an out of warranty replacement?

jamesb
    Free Member

Full reboot is if I recall ENTER + MODE at same time (I think!)

Reset is Mode & Lap/Reset for 10 seconds.
    It gives you the option to delete all records if you want to, but it doesn’t do it automatically.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Edge 305 Altimeter Problem’ is closed to new replies.