• This topic has 53 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by yunki.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Dog breeds we love
  • Drac

Love a black lab, the Mother in Law is getting one a week this Saturday after losing her last one a few months ago. My favourite has always been my current.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nonrVU]Jake[/url] by -Drac-, on Flickr

PePPeR

Dogs awesome!

Dad and daughter

garage-dweller

So many to choose from but this thread needs a great dane or two (blue for preference). 100kg of dog thinking its a lap dog.
    Our old mongrel was the most wonderful gentle creature lovely brindle colour with a mix of lab and gsd type features. Took him on when he was about 9 (rescued as a stray), he had colitis and chronic bronchitis all the three years or so we had him but never really complained. It broke my heart when we had to have him pts.

LeeW

DezB – Member
    Has LeeW apologised yet?

Ok, I rephrase. A Staffy/Greyhound isn’t a traditional lurcher. I have a whippet/collie which wouldn’t be recognised by some as a traditional lurcher. I also have a lurcher/cocker cross which is technically a tumbler rather than a lurcher.

Staffies weren’t even a recognised breed until just before the war where lurchers have been around for hundreds of years.

Do people still bother with Wikipedia?

Drac

I didn’t think there was any specific breeding for Lurchers, they’re just a Greyhound crossed with a terrier or another breed such as a Collie. Kind of the first mongrels with a comedy name.

Pigface
    Free Member

Recognised by the Kennel Club??? Well that is not the greatest accolade.

I met a Staffy/Lurcher thing a couple of years ago 😆 the daftest looking dog I have ever seen, it was a lurcher body, not as skinny as some with a Staffy head 😆 it looked ludicrous but was super friendly and could leap a bar gate with out thinking.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Always had Black Labs as a youngster and grew to adore them, and sort of thought I understood the breed a little. When it was time for our own family dog, much as I wanted another lab, I thought I wouldn’t be predictable and just fancied a different challenge and personality and went for a cocker spaniel, and he’s been all of those things and more. A challenge (hopefully won 🙂 and a personality X10. But he’s ace, friendly as heck, stubborn as a mule, daft as a brush and I loves im.

as a pup

And now (16 months old)

Drac

Cockers are great little dogs.

DezB
    Free Member

Do people still bother with Wikipedia?

Only when someone says “You’re wrong” for no damn reason whatsoever.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cockers are great little dogs.

And that’s one hell of a fine one there! Cracking hound!

Cavalier,
    Eddie is a fine example…

Indeed he (I assume!) is. Lovely shape to his skull and nose. I must admit that a Blenheim is my least preferred colour, but he’s ace! My last one was a ruby. We’re just letting the second child get a little but older/more mobile before we plunge in to another dog, and this thread isn’t helping! 😀

hughjengin
    Free Member

And that’s one hell of a fine one there! Cracking hound!

Thanks Flash, he’s definitely eye candy apparently, or so I have been told. A local cocker shower had said he has “great confirmation” so I presume thats a dog show speak for “good looking cocker :)” But I never wanted to show him, bottom line he’s my mate, and we go out and get muddy in the mountains and stinky on the beach, so would rather that for him than anything else.

teadrinker
    Free Member

I don’t have one, but if I did I’d want a Patterdale/Lakeland Terrier cross.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Lab crosses and Collie Crosses are awesome. But did someone mention spaniel?

Meet Nell, 8 weeks old springer. The first real “breed” we’ve had and our first puppy. She’s lots of fun.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pyuib9]Nell![/url] by Evil Goat, on Flickr

and with her big brother, Alfie:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pNQRgL]Nell![/url] by Evil Goat, on Flickr

and just because he’s feeling left out, less big brother Charley:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/7nmQ8s]Charley[/url] by Evil Goat, on Flickr

yunki
    Free Member

I’m pretty certain that when/if I get another dog it will be a Parson’s Russell

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Dog breeds we love’ is closed to new replies.